Old 01-09-2021, 07:45 AM   #21
Guru

City: Great Lakes
Vessel Model: OA 440
Great that your hull is solid. At the same time your post did bring up some excellent comments about how to handle cored hulls. I will add one more.

Hydraulic yard trailers. There are hull friendly designs and the others. Basically, keel lift designs: good. Pad lift designs: bad. Excessive loads can be transmitted directly into the hull skin structure and compress core materials.

Pad lift trailer depicted in first photo. Zero keel support. High probability that pads will squash core material. This design is dangerous even for solid core hulls. I refused to allow the yard to put our boat on one of these contraptions and made them move the boat to the storage building on the travel lift. When I switched winter storage facilities, I dismissed any of them with a pad lift trailer...they clearly don't care about customer's boats, or they're ignorant of stresses associated with lifting boats with pads. This one is manufactured by Conolift. I've seen this yard put a 52 foot boat on this trailer, which is sized for a 40' foot hull.

Keel lift trailer shownin second photo. Keel is sitting on cross beams. Hydraulic arms simply stabilize the boat

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1762.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	109.8 KB
ID:	112481

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0077 (2).jpg
Views:	9
Size:	113.3 KB
ID:	112482
Rufus is offline   Reply With Quote