Tipping a delivery Captain

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I too have slowly stepped out of regular deliveries. But I would charge based on the day or total engine hours divided by 10, whichever was greater. If I spent 10 days on the trip but I ran an average 15 engine hours per day(not counting other routine things like washing down, provisioning, fueling) then I’d charge for 15 days. Gave me incentive to get the boat there sooner without hammering the engines and fuel bill and ultimately saved the customer money.
And as for tips, I always remembered when customers rounded up, paid with cash, or gave a nice tip. It comes in handy down the road when you have a question that an experienced captain can help with. Need advice on something mechanical, cruising destinations, or weather forecasting. Bet that captain takes your call and ultimately saves you money.

Syjos: how come you didn't enjoy deliveries? I loved the work and frankly, it wasn't a bad income. I only got out because a past colleague made me an offer back in Corp America that I couldn't refuse. I don't know if I could have weathered the Great Recession, but I very much enjoyed deliveries and the people I met.

Curious minds want to know.

Peter

I gave it up in the mid 80,s as a 24 yo. Fun lifestyle, but the writing was on the wall as no real future. Bailed out ,went to college for a bit and back on boats.. Not as a delivery Captain though. I was delivering new Defevers for Brokers and doing the boat show circuit.

They did a good job and I went ahead and tipped them 200.00 apiece. Both were delivery Captains. The Captain of record's hand got sick before the trip. His replacement was also a Captain. Traveled 24/7 got her to me in about 48 hours.

Tipping for that sort of work is not so common on the west coast. As a delivery capt I wish it was.

PB as a delivery Capt do you know any who could move a V from Curaco to Aruba? We bought a boat had a plan and they changed the rules again.

PB as a delivery Capt do you know any who could move a V from Curaco to Aruba? We bought a boat had a plan and they changed the rules again.

No I don't. The furthest south I go is the Sea of Cortez. There other delivery capts here, maybe one will be able to help.

Most delivery captains are self-employed and get 100% of the fee (less expenses) and don't qualify a tip any more than you would give your accountant, mechanic, lawyer, or self-employed barber.

Most delivery captains are self-employed and get 100% of the fee (less expenses) and don't qualify a tip any more than you would give your accountant, mechanic, lawyer, or self-employed barber.

If you own the business and want 10% to 20% more money for your services then just charge 10% to 20% more. As I posted earlier: never tip the business owner! Tip the person who is working for wages instead. As in: tip the guys who deliver and install your new dishwasher, not the guy who owns the appliance store......

two reasons to tip...

Income makeup....or you are estatic about service.

White collar workers get often unearned HUGE bonuses......so why not tip a small business owner if they made you happy?

Oh I forgot....greed all around....

I do tend to tip. I think it's good business - my calls get returned first. I at least give enough for a nice meal.

When they politely decline, I say what my uncle Frankie told me once: "there are only two reasons people give you money. They want you to have it, or their stupid. Please don't call me stupid".

Two cents from a delivery capt.

From the perspective of a delivery captain. Tips are never expected but always appreciated.

More general perspective. If the service met expectations then little to no tip is warranted. If the service exceeded expectations then yes a ‘thank you very much” is appropriate.

I do tend to tip. I think it's good business - my calls get returned first. I at least give enough for a nice meal.

When they politely decline, I say what my uncle Frankie told me once: "there are only two reasons people give you money. They want you to have it, or their stupid. Please don't call me stupid".

Exactly, I am sure we will get push back for being "stupid ".

No I don't. The furthest south I go is the Sea of Cortez. There other delivery capts here, maybe one will be able to help.

Right now the complications are just more than anyone I know wants to deal with. Every country has it's rules and many are rigid and difficult to find out as they change. I would simply suggest waiting a bit.

I tipped my delivery captain after establishing an understanding that he'd share with the crew at least proportionally to their fee. He split evenly per day served.

And I tipped them, gladly, even after he ran me aground. They went to great lengths to protect themselves, and hence me since I was with them, from Covid. They served as mechanics, trainers, cleaners, and friends. They brought their network of contacts into service and turned difficult challenges into opportunities. They treated my boat like it was their own.

It might be that this is what most delivery teams do - I don't know. I do know that I couldn't have done it and I appreciated it. Which shows up best as cash in my experience.

Pay the people that do great work more. Seems straightforward to me.

BD

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom