Old 07-10-2016, 06:05 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

City: Home Port: Buck's Harbor, Maine
Vessel Name: "Emily Anne"
Vessel Model: 2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa (Hull #146)
Tipping Delivery Captain

We had to cut short a long cruise we were on and hired a delivery captain to bring our boat home. Four day delivery. One day of nasty, rough seas weather and two days of rain and roll but no wind. Captain was initially going to bring his wife as crew but she didn't like the weather so he brought a friend at no extra on his daily rate. We drove his car home so it is waiting for him with a full tank of gas.

Boat is arriving tomorrow.

So is it appropriate to tip him over and above his daily rate when we pay up? And/or give something extra for his crew mate?

Don't know the etiquette on this as this is a first time for us.
Old 07-10-2016, 06:14 PM   #2
Guru

City: Maine Coast
Vessel Name: Tortuga
Vessel Model: Nunes Brothers Raised Deck Cruiser
I would wait to see the condition of the boat. Some captains simply walk away after the delivery is completed. Others will make sure the boat is spotlessly clean and give you a full report of what worked and what is a problem. In the latter case a tip wouldn't be a bad idea. In the former not so much.
TDunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 06:33 PM   #3
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
What he said. ^
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 07:00 PM   #4
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Tips are because you are happy and would like to make someone else happy.

A well paid professional wouldn't necessarily expect a tip....but let's face it, money is money.....

Maybe even nicer would be a gift certificate or an item mentioned as it may dhow you also paid attention to him/her as a human being.....
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 07:27 PM   #5
Guru

City: Chicago/Montrose Harbor
Vessel Name: Sea Jay
Vessel Model: Non Trawler ;-) Ask me if it matters LOL
I wonder if it's an "industry practice", a lot of these guys afterall are self employed. I'd rather think that they may be preferred to be paid in cash....... That would be a nice tip 20-30% based on their tax rates ;-)
Gmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 07:51 PM   #6
Guru

City: Here
My wife and I provide an honest and responsible service for what I consider a reasonable price. I have never expected a tip and am somewhat embarrassed about having one pressed on me.
boatpoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 07:59 PM   #7
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Anyone here tip their accountant, attorney, plumber, or electrician?
Old 07-10-2016, 08:00 PM   #8
Guru

City: Fleming Island, Fl
Vessel Name: Sakura Perdido
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36 Classic
Tipping Delivery Captain

I hired a delivery captain to bring my newly purchased GB 36 from St Pete to Pensacola. He hired a mate which I also paid for. He kept me updated on the trip and I joined them a day away. He worked with me and gave me familiarization on the boat and upon delivery gave me a full accounting of expenses. Both crew were very professional. I tipped them. It felt a little weird but I just rounded the total I owed them up to the next whole figure. Just to say "thanks".
Bryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 08:22 PM   #9

City: Kiln,MS
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
I think it truly depends on the level of service. I like to tip when people go above and beyond. Even though the job may not be one of the normal jobs people tip for. I have even given a helper a $100 "bonus " on a nightmare job than ran late into a holiday weekend.
BIG CAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 09:09 PM   #10
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
If a typical delivery captain made anything near a typical attorney or accountant....well then no.

Tip a plumber of electrician?...heck yes ....they get tipped when appropriate in the different locales I have lived. Done it myself.

Not one delivery captain I know makes their full living being a delivery captain. There is no real standard to even discuss.

No one can guess a guys tax rate, no one knows whether the captain is borderline poverty level or a multi-millionaire....well I guess you could run a background check.

Because a delivery captain doesn't even require a high school education, just a ticket that nowadays can be bought with a ltitle money and some documented boat experience....it's pretty hard to compare "professional captains" with many established professions. I never liked being called a professional USCG officer, I preferred "career officer" as I felt professional should carry a certain significance to it.

Being one, having my own company as one, working for a dealership as one, meeting many on the other various marine jobs I have had....it is certainly a type job that a tip is neither expected, nor usually turned away.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 09:38 PM   #11
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Quote:

Largest tip received was high 4 figure plus use of a private mountain chalet for a week. While going above and beyond for an industrial chemical tank farm customer on an emergency weekend call I discovered an issue multiple others had missed. The owner thanked me profusely for saving his employees lives and facilities. Not to mention avoiding his very own appearance on a 20/20 news special and defending himself from inevitable lawsuits.

Tips while never expected seemed pretty routine for me.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 10:23 PM   #12
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDunn View Post
I would wait to see the condition of the boat. Some captains simply walk away after the delivery is completed. Others will make sure the boat is spotlessly clean and give you a full report of what worked and what is a problem. In the latter case a tip wouldn't be a bad idea. In the former not so much.
Having no experience in this area, my first thought was "No, don't tip. Pay him the contracted fee." However, TDunn raises a good point. If you feel that the Captain went above and beyond what you were expecting, then a tip would be perfectly appropriate.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 10:51 PM   #13
Guru

City: Signal Mtn., TN
Vessel Name: Stella Maris
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Quote:
If they exceed my expectations, I might.

I gave a substantial tip to our delivery skipper for making what could have been a 7-day trip into a 5-day delivery--with a couple of overnight runs vs staying at docks on my dime. My son was on the boat with him as crew, so his wife didn't go on the delivery and draw a paycheck as she usually would. Also, they endured a broken generator, crap instruments and had to run from the open (Bimini only) flybridge in heavy rain because there was no radar on my lower helm--one of the many things I'm changing. He saved me money, did a very professional job and left the boat clean and organized. I felt like I got more than I had agreed to pay for and don't regret sweetening the pot.
angus99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 11:47 PM   #14
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwhatty View Post
We had to cut short a long cruise we were on and hired a delivery captain to bring our boat home. Four day delivery. One day of nasty, rough seas weather and two days of rain and roll but no wind. Captain was initially going to bring his wife as crew but she didn't like the weather so he brought a friend at no extra on his daily rate. We drove his car home so it is waiting for him with a full tank of gas.

Boat is arriving tomorrow.

So is it appropriate to tip him over and above his daily rate when we pay up? And/or give something extra for his crew mate?

Don't know the etiquette on this as this is a first time for us.
If the boat arrives in good condition, absolutely I would tip. He was there when you needed him, he endured some nasty conditions, and he got the boat there. I find tips to be common practice in all areas of captaining boats other than full time employment by an owner. Comparing to accountants or other professions is really irrelevant. We could as easily compare to hairdressers or to bellmen or dealers in Vegas. Some professions it's normal, some not. I know several captains who do deliveries and they do get tipped at least 75% of the time. There are some who just see the contracted price as payment in full and I don't fault them as there is nothing that tells them tipping is appropriate.

If I can afford to own a nice boat, just seems to me I can spend that tiny bit extra to show my appreciation to a delivery captain. If the captain is like those I know, I'll bet you he tipped dock hands, when he got assistance along the way, out of his pocket.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 02:27 AM   #15
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by angus99 View Post
...they endured a broken generator, crap instruments and had to run from the open (Bimini only) flybridge in heavy rain because there was no radar on my lower helm--one of the many things I'm changing. He saved me money, did a very professional job and left the boat clean and organized. I felt like I got more than I had agreed to pay for and don't regret sweetening the pot.
The last sentence says it. Tipping customs are very different in US & Canada to Australia, it`s not automatic here, but our wage structures are different. Once I paid extra to a guy who did some paving flagstones repairs, he wanted me to take the tip back!
In delivery, you accept a quote. I would not automatically tip, but if the job was tough, especially because of my boat or adverse events neither of us could foresee,I`d reward that.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 05:51 AM   #16
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
Quote:
Plumber or electrician definitely if they work for a large outfit and are paid by hour. Next time they are back they remember me and are very attentive IMHO. Don't forget to back up the tip with awareness of who they are.
sunchaser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 09:27 AM   #17
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
Plumber or electrician definitely if they work for a large outfit and are paid by hour. Next time they are back they remember me and are very attentive IMHO. Don't forget to back up the tip with awareness of who they are.
And also with a plumber or electrician, let their company know how pleased you were by their service. In today's world, a positive post on google or yelp.
Old 07-11-2016, 01:38 PM   #18

City: Bristol PA
a friend of mine was a transport captain, One day we were talking and he said to me: "Denise I'm going to die out there". he is now employed as a captain on a catamaran in Florida. basically it seems they often get hired to move junk or teach the owner. I'm not saying that about anybody here
but yes! biggest tip as possible!
Old 07-11-2016, 03:30 PM   #19
Guru

City: Queensland
Vessel Model: Milkraft 60 converted timber prawn trawler
No tip.
You paid a guy to do a job and a fee was agreed on for those services.
I've never received a tip before as a tradesman or when doing deliveries and I believe in most cases I leave the boat better than I found it.
But, Australia doesn't have a tipping culture , fair days work for a fair days pay, so its never been expected.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 03:41 PM   #20
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
No tip.
You paid a guy to do a job and a fee was agreed on for those services.
I've never received a tip before as a tradesman or when doing deliveries and I believe in most cases I leave the boat better than I found it.
But, Australia doesn't have a tipping culture , fair days work for a fair days pay, so its never been expected.
Yes, but the OP wasn't in or talking about Australia. Obviously the tipping custom is much different in the US.

It's also common in certain parts of yachting worldwide. Those who charter yachts are absolutely expected to tip and that is worldwide.