Tipping

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have mixed views on this subject. I certainly tip when a dock hand makes me look good on a difficult landing, comes out in the rain, or otherwise goes above and beyond. I tip when the dock hand comes out to the far end of the finger to help me find my assigned slip in a large marina. I tip anyone who handles a pump-out hose for me.

I get a little worried when I come to a place that has 2 or 3 staff scurrying around looking for something to do, when no help is needed. Especially when it's an easy tie-up on a face dock with no wind or current, which I could have done myself. That feels to me like fawning for an un-earned tip, and I hate to play that game.

Likewise, if the dockhand is so clueless they botch a landing I could otherwise have single-handed, for example, by pulling on my bow line until I'm perpendicular to the dock, they should pay ME, not the other way around.

I actually prefer to plan and execute my own docking strategy. I'd rather have no-one on the dock most of the time. When I need help, I'll ask for it, and tip appropriately.

I've worked in food service. I know tips are expected (and usually, deserved) for table service in the US. I'm just not ready to make it automatic for every dock walker.

I once took a bunch of people to a restaurant for a birthday dinner. There was a note on the menu that a certain percentage tip would be added to the bill for large parties.

Thinking that they had done that, I paid the bill and left with my group.

As we were walking down the stairs, several of the staff came running down after me yelling "You didn't leave a tip!"

Needless to say, that was embarrassing. I gave them some cash without going back and examining the bill.

Needless to say, I never went back to that restaurant.

Not tipping in a restaurant (intentionally or otherwise) is likely to be an unpleasant experience.

There was a restaurant near one of the places I used to work at. There were a couple of small signs (about 4x6") around the place usually up high, that said that after 6 pm a 15% (or maybe 18%, can't remember) service charge would be added to each bill.

Since tipping is expected in US restaurants and service charges are not, I'm sure a lot of people just figured a tip on the total and left without looking that closely at the bill. These people were effectively tipping on the tip. I'm also sure that none of the staff working there bothered to point out the little signs to the customers.

I'm also sure that none of the staff working there bothered to point out the little signs to the customers.

That certainly happens. But in my experience, more often than not, the server does point out when the tip is included on the bill. From their point of view, think of the scene if the customer discovers it themselves after paying. Much easier to be honest up front.

Back
Top Bottom