Time for a new boat,

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bshillam

Guru
Vessel Name
Our Heaven
Vessel Make
1997 4800 Navigator
Ok so we bought a vacation property that has us out of town quite a bit now, great way to be Covid safe. However, I still need a boat and am going to down size. Something I can handle by myself so I can take clients around Portland. Needs to house four adults for a cruise, be comfortable at all times of the year, (enclosed), at least do 20 knots when we don't have trees coming down the Columbia, under $200k, small enough we can get into any marina so no more than 30 feet. Preferably trailerable to take up to the San Juans once or twice a year. Boats I have looked at am interested in,
25/26 C-Dory
27' Ranger Tug both inboard and outboard
28' Cutwater
25' Rosborough
I don't care much for the high powered fishing style boats as I feel they lean more towards fishing than cruising.

Other boats I should be thinking of?

"House four adults for a cruise...." Need clarification, I think. From your list, I am assuming you want day cruise, not overnight accommodations for four adults. Mainship Pilot might fill the bill.

"House four adults for a cruise...." Need clarification, I think. From your list, I am assuming you want day cruise, not overnight accommodations for four adults. Mainship Pilot might fill the bill.

That is correct, day cruise four adults only. Overnights w/ only my family which is my wife and son of 11. One of the reasons I am drawn to the Cutwater/Ranger Tug line. Yes small accommodations for my son but it will work for sleeping.

My 30 Pilot would not work, but a MS 34-foot pilot could. Just few of 'em out there.

Is a 'new' boat a brand new boat or a new, to you, boat?

The boats you list have a 8'6" beam. Is this the limit you want for trailering? (I know it is mine).

I'm thinking if brand new, the C-28, with a trailer, will likely be over the 200K mark. It is also a pretty heavy boat, do you have an adequately sized tow vehicle? If not, this might be a limiting factor for some boats.

The dry weight of the Cutwater 28 is 1,800 lbs more than the Cutwater 24. Have you ruled out the C-24? It's been a while since I've on both boats, but while I know the C-28 has a larger interior, is there any more seating in the salon as both boats have a 8'6" beam?

My budget is much smaller than yours, but for a trailerable boat, I'm thinking of a Crownline 264 CR, single Merc I/O. A new fully loaded boat, with trailer, full canvas, and the Mercruiser Seacore option comes in at about $116,000. Probably not for you, however, as the cockpit is not enclosed with a/c and heat.

If I buy a trailerable boat, I'll probably get something with a dry weight of 7500 lbs or less as fully loaded on a trailer this would be around 10,000 lbs and my new Ram has a towing capacity of 11,493 lbs.

I'll be interested and seeing what other options folks suggest for a trailerable boat.

Jim

p.s. if you are towing, don't forget about truck payload, as this is often the limiting factor for towing. Most folks figure 7.5% for tongue weight. So for example, a 10,000 lb trailer load should have a tongue weight of about 750 lbs

Last edited:
BlackCrownForest-1080x675.jpg

https://devlinboat.com/wood-duck-black-crown-29-1994/

Find a willard 40

I have friends with a Willard 40. Great boat! But I'm curious what makes you suggest it for the OP's criteria of:

1) Under 30'
2) Will do 20 knots
3) Preferably trailerable

Last edited:
Try looking at different models Tollycraft - many of them usually for sale around that area.

There's plenty about the boat design you seek that I'm not clear on.

Last edited:
You might be asking too much for one boat. Trailerable means a little on the light and narrow side. Even short ocean crossings might want a heavier, wider boat.

pete

You might be asking too much for one boat. Trailerable means a little on the light and narrow side. Even short ocean crossings might want a heavier, wider boat.

Maybe the OP modified his post, but I didn't see any ocean crossings on his list. By the time I read it it was basically the Columbia River (starting near Portland), and, if trailerable, San Juan Islands. There are some straits near the San Juans, but nothing I would consider ocean crossings.

Bshillam: I'm coming up blank for anything that's not already on your list; but if anything comes to mind I'll post back. (That said there are some good candidates in your existing list :))

Last edited:
It's way below the budget and a bit much to trailer, but take a look at something like the Chris Craft Catalina 280 or 281. The 281 it's a bit faster (twins instead of a single), but also heavier. Even then, I've seen them on trailers. Just not something you'd want to do all the time with the 10'9" beam. Weight for the 280 single is listed as 7000 lbs dry, so figure with twins, fuel, etc. You might be up towards 10k lbs. In exchange for the reduced towing ability you get more space in the sub 30 foot length.

They've got a good cockpit for seating and such. Helm is outside, but you could add a nice hard top, heat, etc and still be way under budget. There are real windshields to start from.

Ok so we bought a vacation property that has us out of town quite a bit now, great way to be Covid safe. However, I still need a boat and am going to down size. Something I can handle by myself so I can take clients around Portland. Needs to house four adults for a cruise, be comfortable at all times of the year, (enclosed), at least do 20 knots when we don't have trees coming down the Columbia, under $200k, small enough we can get into any marina so no more than 30 feet. Preferably trailerable to take up to the San Juans once or twice a year. Boats I have looked at am interested in,
25/26 C-Dory
28' Cutwater
25' Rosborough
I don't care much for the high powered fishing style boats as I feel they lean more towards fishing than cruising.

Rosborough or the C Dory would be my choice.

I would stay away from Cutwater. One our club members bought it new and the quality is poor. Their customer service is lackluster as well.

I don't know how much boating you have done but just in case you discover you want to do overnighting, more than one overnight and you might do that at anchor, you will be better of with an internal engine, not an outboard. A swim platform is ideal for dinghy storage. If you definitely don't care about any of this, then go with an outboard.

What you are describing in terms of sleeping and entertaining is going to push the limits of trailering. I would take a look at the larger Shamrocks like the 270 Mackinaw with a diesel, but that's a big boat to haul. For that matter so is the Cutwater.

I would also suggest Mainship Pilot as I own one, but he did say trailerable and I think that's a deal-breaker for a lot of the suggestions.

Shillam
We've owned several SeaRays and accommodated up to 6 quite easily when in the 30' range. Lots of SeaRay type I/O boats out there to satisfy your needs and well within you budget.

Another option is an outboard powered vessel akin to Grady White type vessels. Some are made specifically for the PNW such as Kingfisher, Osprey, Orca and Hewes craft.

If it's going to stay in the water and not be trailered all the time, I'd stay away from I/Os. I personally hate the damn things. In that size range, outboards are definitely an option, but there are choices with straight inboards (the previously mentioned Shamrock and Chris Crafts are straight inboards). Sea Rays in that size range are likely to be I/O, but some may be V-drive inboards.

Without making specific boat recommendations maybe think outside the box with regard to trailering. If you own a trailer stout enough to handle a heavy boat you need only hire a truck and driver to move the boat Portland to Wa State. That opens the door to boats a bit bigger and heavier than your list giving greater comfort, important for showing clients a good time, and cruising range.

Maybe reevaluate the need to trailer all together if you want fast like 20 kts or more. Portland to Friday Harbor could be done in two days under favorable conditions. One day if you're willing to put in a long day.
25/26 C-Dory
28' Cutwater
25' Rosborough

In that class, price notwithstanding, it's hard to beat the Cutwater 28 or Ranger 27 for the second berth for the kiddo(s) or occasional overnight guest. And they have more of a real galley (though really small if doing "real" cooking like we enjoy.) C-Dory owners can be passionate and those boats are easier on the bank account but those are two areas in which they suffer in comparison.

If it's going to stay in the water and not be trailered all the time, I'd stay away from I/Os. I personally hate the damn things. In that size range, outboards are definitely an option, but there are choices with straight inboards (the previously mentioned Shamrock and Chris Crafts are straight inboards). Sea Rays in that size range are likely to be I/O, but some may be V-drive inboards.

Agreed! I/O corrosion when kept [docked long durations] in saltwater resembles an Alka Seltzer wafer in a glass of water - just kidding, sort of! And, gotta say... there are plenty if mechanical items regarding I/O drives that can be quite costly; too often. That said, if trailered and freshwater flushed after each salt water use, as well as used and maintained correctly... I/O is an okay out-drive alternative.

Onto another thang!! I.e. brand/model boat OP may like:

Although considerably dated - Uniflite 31' Sedan is one heck of nice boat... for many reasons. I know... our 1973 Uni was a sheer joy - see photos. BTW - With her twin 350 cid / 225 hp WOT was well over 26 knots. Gentle cruise at 19 to 20 knots. All depending on load. Handled like an agile go-cart and took rough seas vey well.

Attachments

• 101_0042.jpg
    101_0042.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 127
  • 101_0032.jpg
    101_0032.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 128
  • 101_0027.jpg
    101_0027.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 128
  • 101_0028.jpg
    101_0028.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 127
  • 101_0036.jpg
    101_0036.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 126
Last edited:
Without making specific boat recommendations maybe think outside the box with regard to trailering. If you own a trailer stout enough to handle a heavy boat you need only hire a truck and driver to move the boat Portland to Wa State. That opens the door to boats a bit bigger and heavier than your list giving greater comfort, important for showing clients a good time, and cruising range.

Maybe reevaluate the need to trailer all together if you want fast like 20 kts or more. Portland to Friday Harbor could be done in two days under favorable conditions. One day if you're willing to put in a long day.

I agree with this advice. If you can forgo the trailer you can get something in the low 30' range that will serve your boating goals much better. You'll never regret buying a little bigger boat than you think you need, but you will almost always regret buying a smaller one. Your budget allows a wide range of options if you don't need to trailer it.

Yes, I/O's suck, that's why no one makes them or buys them anymore! :ermm:

Personally, if I were looking for a trailerable boat, I wouldn't let an I/O be a reason not to buy a boat. With a Seacore package and proper maintenance, many I/O's easily last 20+ years.

Would I buy a large express cruiser with I/O's that was kept in the water fulltime? Probably not, unless it was kept in a low salinity area.

A trailerable boat, however, is easy to pull out of the water to do required maintenance.

Jim

Boat Wanted

I have a Ranger 25 for sale in Florida. 2009 with all the options only 400 hours on Cummins diesel 2.5 hours on generator and dinghy yamaha 4 stroke outboard
Jeff
231 675-2605

No I/O. Non-trailerable ie/ 10' beam ok as I'll hire transport to move it once a season to enjoy the islands and then back down to Portland. Main focus is taking clients around the river. Nothing that has teak or requires wood maintenance on the exterior.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom