Old 03-03-2021, 01:15 PM   #1
Guru

City: Portland, OR
Vessel Name: Our Heaven
Vessel Model: 1997 4800 Navigator
Time for a new boat,

Ok so we bought a vacation property that has us out of town quite a bit now, great way to be Covid safe. However, I still need a boat and am going to down size. Something I can handle by myself so I can take clients around Portland. Needs to house four adults for a cruise, be comfortable at all times of the year, (enclosed), at least do 20 knots when we don't have trees coming down the Columbia, under $200k, small enough we can get into any marina so no more than 30 feet. Preferably trailerable to take up to the San Juans once or twice a year. Boats I have looked at am interested in,
25/26 C-Dory
27' Ranger Tug both inboard and outboard
28' Cutwater
25' Rosborough
I don't care much for the high powered fishing style boats as I feel they lean more towards fishing than cruising.

Other boats I should be thinking of?
“Try something you could fail at. We all do things that we can comfortably achieve, but rarely do we set the high bar one notch above what we think we can clear, and that’s what’s driving me on here.” Lieutenant Colonel Alastair Edward Henry Worsley MBE (4 October 1960 – 24 January 2016) Explorer
bshillam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 01:37 PM   #2
Guru

City: Southport, FL near Panama City
Vessel Name: FROLIC
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
"House four adults for a cruise...." Need clarification, I think. From your list, I am assuming you want day cruise, not overnight accommodations for four adults. Mainship Pilot might fill the bill.
rgano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 01:43 PM   #3
Guru

City: Portland, OR
Vessel Name: Our Heaven
Vessel Model: 1997 4800 Navigator
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgano View Post
"House four adults for a cruise...." Need clarification, I think. From your list, I am assuming you want day cruise, not overnight accommodations for four adults. Mainship Pilot might fill the bill.
That is correct, day cruise four adults only. Overnights w/ only my family which is my wife and son of 11. One of the reasons I am drawn to the Cutwater/Ranger Tug line. Yes small accommodations for my son but it will work for sleeping.
“Try something you could fail at. We all do things that we can comfortably achieve, but rarely do we set the high bar one notch above what we think we can clear, and that’s what’s driving me on here.” Lieutenant Colonel Alastair Edward Henry Worsley MBE (4 October 1960 – 24 January 2016) Explorer
bshillam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 03:17 PM   #4
Guru

City: Southport, FL near Panama City
Vessel Name: FROLIC
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
My 30 Pilot would not work, but a MS 34-foot pilot could. Just few of 'em out there.
rgano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 04:21 PM   #5

City: North
Vessel Name: Broadbill
Vessel Model: Willard 36
Find a willard 40
Lostsailor13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 04:58 PM   #6
JLD
Guru

City: Delaware
Is a 'new' boat a brand new boat or a new, to you, boat?

The boats you list have a 8'6" beam. Is this the limit you want for trailering? (I know it is mine).

I'm thinking if brand new, the C-28, with a trailer, will likely be over the 200K mark. It is also a pretty heavy boat, do you have an adequately sized tow vehicle? If not, this might be a limiting factor for some boats.

The dry weight of the Cutwater 28 is 1,800 lbs more than the Cutwater 24. Have you ruled out the C-24? It's been a while since I've on both boats, but while I know the C-28 has a larger interior, is there any more seating in the salon as both boats have a 8'6" beam?

My budget is much smaller than yours, but for a trailerable boat, I'm thinking of a Crownline 264 CR, single Merc I/O. A new fully loaded boat, with trailer, full canvas, and the Mercruiser Seacore option comes in at about $116,000. Probably not for you, however, as the cockpit is not enclosed with a/c and heat.

If I buy a trailerable boat, I'll probably get something with a dry weight of 7500 lbs or less as fully loaded on a trailer this would be around 10,000 lbs and my new Ram has a towing capacity of 11,493 lbs.

I'll be interested and seeing what other options folks suggest for a trailerable boat.

Jim

p.s. if you are towing, don't forget about truck payload, as this is often the limiting factor for towing. Most folks figure 7.5% for tongue weight. So for example, a 10,000 lb trailer load should have a tongue weight of about 750 lbs
JLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 05:29 PM   #7
Arc
Guru

City: Long island
Vessel Model: Eastern
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostsailor13 View Post
Find a willard 40
20kn????
Arc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 05:53 PM   #8
Guru

City: Everett, WA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 38'

https://devlinboat.com/wood-duck-black-crown-29-1994/
Max Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 05:55 PM   #9
Guru

City: US PNW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostsailor13 View Post
Find a willard 40
I have friends with a Willard 40. Great boat! But I'm curious what makes you suggest it for the OP's criteria of:

1) Under 30'
2) Will do 20 knots
3) Preferably trailerable
Frosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 07:04 PM   #10
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Try looking at different models Tollycraft - many of them usually for sale around that area.

There's plenty about the boat design you seek that I'm not clear on.
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 07:09 PM   #11
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Simmons View Post
Heck yeah!
Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 08:08 PM   #12
Guru

City: Oconto, WI
Vessel Name: Best Alternative
Vessel Model: 36 Albin Aft Cabin
You might be asking too much for one boat. Trailerable means a little on the light and narrow side. Even short ocean crossings might want a heavier, wider boat.

pete
Pete Meisinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 08:13 PM   #13
Guru

City: US PNW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Meisinger View Post
You might be asking too much for one boat. Trailerable means a little on the light and narrow side. Even short ocean crossings might want a heavier, wider boat.
Maybe the OP modified his post, but I didn't see any ocean crossings on his list. By the time I read it it was basically the Columbia River (starting near Portland), and, if trailerable, San Juan Islands. There are some straits near the San Juans, but nothing I would consider ocean crossings.

Bshillam: I'm coming up blank for anything that's not already on your list; but if anything comes to mind I'll post back. (That said there are some good candidates in your existing list )
Frosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 08:27 PM   #14
Guru

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
It's way below the budget and a bit much to trailer, but take a look at something like the Chris Craft Catalina 280 or 281. The 281 it's a bit faster (twins instead of a single), but also heavier. Even then, I've seen them on trailers. Just not something you'd want to do all the time with the 10'9" beam. Weight for the 280 single is listed as 7000 lbs dry, so figure with twins, fuel, etc. You might be up towards 10k lbs. In exchange for the reduced towing ability you get more space in the sub 30 foot length.

They've got a good cockpit for seating and such. Helm is outside, but you could add a nice hard top, heat, etc and still be way under budget. There are real windshields to start from.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 09:00 PM   #15
Guru

City: St Augustine,Fl
Quote:
Originally Posted by bshillam View Post
Ok so we bought a vacation property that has us out of town quite a bit now, great way to be Covid safe. However, I still need a boat and am going to down size. Something I can handle by myself so I can take clients around Portland. Needs to house four adults for a cruise, be comfortable at all times of the year, (enclosed), at least do 20 knots when we don't have trees coming down the Columbia, under $200k, small enough we can get into any marina so no more than 30 feet. Preferably trailerable to take up to the San Juans once or twice a year. Boats I have looked at am interested in,
25/26 C-Dory
27' Ranger Tug both inboard and outboard
28' Cutwater
25' Rosborough
I don't care much for the high powered fishing style boats as I feel they lean more towards fishing than cruising.

Other boats I should be thinking of?
Rosborough or the C Dory would be my choice.
Old 03-03-2021, 09:29 PM   #16
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Tolly in the general length you mention...

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/197...sedan-3748374/

More on Yachtworld.
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 09:36 PM   #17
cks

City: Oradell
Vessel Name: Silver Lining
Vessel Model: 2003 42’ Grand Banks Europa
I would stay away from Cutwater. One our club members bought it new and the quality is poor. Their customer service is lackluster as well.
cks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 09:43 PM   #18
Guru

City: Qualicum Beach, Vancouver Island
Vessel Name: Capricorn
Vessel Model: Mariner 30 - Sedan Cruiser 1969
I don't know how much boating you have done but just in case you discover you want to do overnighting, more than one overnight and you might do that at anchor, you will be better of with an internal engine, not an outboard. A swim platform is ideal for dinghy storage. If you definitely don't care about any of this, then go with an outboard.
rsn48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 11:03 PM   #19
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: North Star
Vessel Model: Lindell 36
What you are describing in terms of sleeping and entertaining is going to push the limits of trailering. I would take a look at the larger Shamrocks like the 270 Mackinaw with a diesel, but that's a big boat to haul. For that matter so is the Cutwater.
Old 03-04-2021, 04:35 AM   #20
Guru

City: Saint Petersburg
Vessel Name: Weebles
Vessel Model: 1970 Willard 36 Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arc View Post
20kn????
Only if lifting slings break.........and even then I'm not sure.

Might be a bit small but a nice little boat. Acadia 25. Built in Florida, few on west coast. But for others who may have similar list...

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/200...ia-25-3523324/
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote