Thrusters quit but i fixed them

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Barrie

Vessel Name
GYPSY
Vessel Make
Mariner 37 PH aka Helmsman 38
So the other day, out of the blue, both bow and stern thrusters decided to go on strike. Control on the dash had green then red lights come and go. Immediate panic set in. Phone calls to marine consultants and previous owner come up empty. Check the fuses. (all good) Find the reset button on the thrusters. (don't have one) Must be a broken wire ( Oh great).
I decided the power switch to the controller might be faulty so off to Google to see where to buy one. Took the old one out and unplugged the wires to get the part number. No part number. Made in Mexico was all I could get so I plugged all the wires back in and turned it on and THEY WORKED!!! THEY WORKED!!
Seems the problem was a small amount of corrosion had collected between the wire terminals resulting in power not getting through. I was so happy I poured myself a drink.
Barrie

Nice when you are able to fix something isn’t it?

About once a year, I find that my Side Power retractable stern thruster does not respond when I try to turn it on. I have discovered that I only need to shut off the main power switch to it and then turn it back on again, then I'm good for another year. So apparently, thrusters, like MS Windows, require an occasional "reboot".

When I purchased my boat, I nicknamed the bow thruster "Lucille ", based on it's intermittent reliability. From the Kenny Rodger's song:

"You picked a fine time to leave me Lucille..."

Ted

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom