Thru hull bonding.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No they have not. What gave you that idea ?

PS. I'm an ABYC Certified Corrosion Analyst.

So what is their position on bonding? I've seen both sides to the argument.

Jim
Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

So what is their position on bonding? I've seen both sides to the argument.

Jim

No thanks, I've been down this road before on this forum and end up getting attacked by people that know less than nothing about the issue, you know. the kind of people who use terms like "electrolysis" and don't know the difference between bonded, grounded, grounding conductor, grounded conductor, lightning bonding etc...... If you really want to know, put up the $1100 dollars for the four day ABYC course. Sorry if this seems a bit cranky but ........................

Last edited:
Boatpoker, I agree with you 100%. The subject matter is very broad.

No thanks, I've been down this road before on this forum and end up getting attacked by people that know less than nothing about the issue, you know. the kind of people who use terms like "electrolysis" and don't know the difference between bonded, grounded, grounding conductor, grounded conductor, lightning bonding etc...... If you really want to know, put up the $1100 dollars for the four day ABYC course. Sorry if this seems a bit cranky but ........................

Hmmmm. Actually I have no opinion, only a desire to learn. I have read the article: Kasten, M. 1998. Corrosion, Zincs & Bonding. Metal Boat Quarterly. Port Townsend. 24p.

I was just wondering if there was any update to that review. And no, I won't be taking the ABYC course.

Jim

Hmmmm. Actually I have no opinion, only a desire to learn. I have read the article: Kasten, M. 1998. Corrosion, Zincs & Bonding. Metal Boat Quarterly. Port Townsend. 24p.

I was just wondering if there was any update to that review. And no, I won't be taking the ABYC course.

Jim

This is what I mean, that title refers to steel boats (in salt water) only and uses the term "zincs" which is appropriate to steel boats (along with several other conditions which don't apply to FRP boats) but is incorrect for aluminum or FRP fresh water boats or boats used in brackish water where the term anodes is the proper term as they may or may not be zinc. This type of clarification which is important to those with an understanding of the issues involved is what got me slammed and ridiculed as a "nit picking toy boat surveyor" so that will be my last comment on this issue.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom