Throw nets

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AKDoug

Guru
Vessel Name
Melanie Rose
Vessel Make
1999 Willard PH
Hello all, I am looking for a little knowledge about throw nets. I often motor past bait balls on the surface while out, and I would love to catch my own herring bait for fishing. The water is mostly hundreds of feet deep, but I can get really close to the bait. Is a throw net the way to catch it? What would close the net and keep the bait in it if I were to get it over the bait ball with my throw?

The herring for trolling is quite expensive, the cheap stuff is quite large (halibut bait size), and I would love to salt my own down (smaller size fish) to avoid paying $6-$8 a dozen for trolling baits. Anyone had any experience with this?

Buy a cast net. They are weighted and hem up as you retrieve them after the toss. There is a small learning curve in operating them but plenty of people on you tube that will show you how to grasp and throw.

I watched a couple of those,but they all showed the net going all the way to the bottom and being dragged back across the bottom to shore. The cast net web sites only advertise depths to specifics like 15' or 35', so my curiosity was for depths where the net never reaches the bottom before it is retrieved.

Second the cast net-I have not seen one since I have lived in the PNW but everyone in the SE has one. I have not looked at the vids available, but I don't think I ever let it get to the bottom unless we were casting for shrimp. We would just toss over a school of baitfish, give it a second or two or three to sink, and pul in, closing the net. That's how we got bait for king mackeral fishing. You just have to get one and try it out to see what works for you.

I've used a cast net plenty in my early days here in Texas but shad, minnows were always in fairly shallow water and they were always very near the surface. It might at least be fun trying in your area but I would think the bait fish would have to be right at the surface to be able to close the net on enough of them to make it worthwhile. Enough room on the boat to throw it would be another issue too. My gut feeling is that it is not likely to be productive but I have NO experience with that technique in those waters.

How about just casting one of those multi-hooked herring jigs into their midst? I've caught plenty of herring with those in the past up there.

Glen

One piece of advice I can add to this thread is don't go with the bigger is better way of thinking. From someone who has done a fair amount of casting nets for bait etc. I can tell you that you will regret getting a large net thinking that bigger is better. You will have a difficult time casting the net and it will end up not being used all that often. You also will need to think about the type and size of the bait you will be casting for and size the mesh accordingly.

I like an 8 foot net (16 feet across) but usually throw a 10 footer. For your purposes you probably need some Sabiki rigs in various sizes.

get a cast net-used one for years catching bait in the gulf and the bay-doesn't have to go to the bottom

Get a cast net around 8 to 10 ft in diameter you can fill a 5 gallon bucket in a dozen or so throw with one. youtube to learn there are a couple of ways to throw one just use the one your comfortable with. Have fun but be carful its addicting

Herring are hard to catch in a throw net, to quick. Sabiki is the way to do it. Us gulf coast guys are used to throwing on pogeys (menhaden) that are easy to net. GreenBacks are to fast for netting.

Lots of old codgers on here, so let me add a word of advice when using a cast net. They are hell on false teeth!

Greetings,
I don't expect there are any restrictions in the PNW but in FL one should check with the fish and game regulations regarding maximum allowable sizes (diameters) in each of the counties. Broward is 8' (max) I think.

In my fair (Ly narrow minded) state ((mass)) cast nets are OK. However, even though worded '<250sqft bait nets' are allowed in the state regs; anything towed is needing a license. So check your state fishing regulations first.

I was contemplating getting a 'try trawl' to show the GKs what lives in the ocean ( of course to get some bait too!). They are illegal in Mass!

Capt Jimmy Lewis
That is a link to a friend of mines website. He makes a big part of his living throwing a 14 foot (28ft dia.) cast net. He has a good video on selecting a cast net. His video on throwing a cast net is way beyond my understanding! He promised to teach me one of these days.

I'll ask him about cast netting with no bottom. I think you can. You'll want to use a larger mesh net with lots of lead.

The Sabiki rigs that have been mentioned may be a better option for you. Even I can catch bait that way.

The draw back is a netted bait will usually outlast a hooked bait. If you're skilled with the net, you can catch bait faster as well.

I got a laugh when you said you didn't want to pay $6.00 a dozen for trolling baits. I've seen tournament fishermen around here pay over a hundred dollars for a dozen live goggle eyes.

I have cast net. Every time I use it I end up like a bull dogged calf. My hat is off to you skilled cast netters.

Most cast nets have draw cords going to the bottom lead line as the net starts to sink and the caster pulls on the mainline those cords draw the bottom closed capturing, most, of the fish inside. Some fish are more alert or nervous and may see it coming and dart away before it hits the water or sinks around them.
As was mentioned above start out with a smaller diameter net the large ones aren't easy to learn with.

Get a cast net around 8 to 10 ft in diameter. you can fill a 5 gallon bucket in a dozen or so throw with one. youtube to learn there are a couple of ways to throw one just use the one your comfortable with. Have fun but be carful its addicting

The more you throw, the better you'll get. We're cast net addicts. When the mullet are running, my son can fill our baitwell with a couple of good throws. This grainy shot was taken last year on Kiawah Island, SC. You can see the school scattering as the net approaches them. My wife's also deadly with a cast net but her usual targets are shrimp.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 55
We have a cast net, but in SE AK we use Sabiki rigs, weighted with a 4oz sinker. We often pull up 4 herring at a time, and they often get hooked almost immediately as soon as the rig gets to the depth where they are. We carry 3-4 of them for a summer, as they do wear out. Rinse the Sabiki with fresh water when you're done, or it will rust pretty quick.

Freshly caught herring works really well for us, bottom fishing for halibut or lings, or mooching for salmon (we tend to use hoochies for trolling). It'll keep several days if kept good and cold, or you could salt it.

Young kids get a big kick out of catching so many fish so easily.

Last edited:
Down here on the gulf coast we use cast nets offshore all the time. Cigar minnows, menhaden, etc. The net does not need to hit the bottom, just start pulling it up after a couple seconds. You'll want the biggest net you can throw and the widest mesh that will still catch your target bait. The wider the mesh the faster it sinks. You'll also want the heaviest net you can throw, again to sink faster.

Watch YouTube videos until you find a method you like. I opted for a method where my teeth weren't involved, the net could rest on the deck while loaded and looking for bait, and was relatively easy to reload. Once you learn a solid method you'll be able to throw any medium to large net without a problem. Practice makes perfect.

Keep in mind that a good custom net with more panes will throw and open much better than a cheap Wally-world net.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom