Thoughts on a Seapiper

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'll admit that I first hated the design but it's kind of growing on me. Depends on your mission. I think it would be quite comfortable, functional, and economic for a couple wanting to do the loop for instance. Not a big investment for a brand new boat and I would expect it to have very few minor issues for a 5-6000 mi loop trip. I like the bimini option. Again, not a do-everything boat for everyone, but I can see it finding an attractive niche. There was a lot of thought put into the design. It didn't end up this way by chance. Even if it's not for me, I respect what they've been able to accomplish.

AustinSailor, you really started a heck of a thread in less than 2 weeks!

IMO, you should really reconsider how important trailer-ability is. Even on a 25ft day boat, the difference between 8.5' beam and 9-10' beam is huge.

I’ve had a boat in a slip for 30 years, so I’m familiar with that. If you want to go somewhere from the Texas coast you have a trip ahead of you. To the Chesapeake? 2 weeks, not counting waiting on a weather window. Bahamas? The same. Sea of Cortez? Couple months or a truck ride. If you had this boat, a trailer and a truck, you could conceivably do all three in a month. My girlfriend is looking for a house in Florida - we could easily boat there, in the Keys, Ft Jefferson and go back to my house in Missouri, visit a lake or two and store it under roof until the next trip. It’s not everyone’s cup of tea, but I think it could be for me. I just need to figure out what I want to do when I grow up!

Thanks to everyone for their thoughts. You’ve been kind and civil and have given me a lot to think about.

"You’ve been kind and civil and have given me a lot to think about."

Hmmmm, "kind and civil"? How unlike us. :rofl:

Last edited:
He hasn't asked for anchor recommendations yet :hide:

Probably won’t! Still have most of the ground tackle from my 40’ Cheoy Lee that was wrecked from Harvey. I’ll stick either my 45 CQR or 33 Bruce on the bow with 250’ of 5/16 high test. The other will be rigged and stored, along with a 22 Bruce. My 35 fisherman was lost in the storm, but you can bet I’ll find another to store away. Nothing better for weeds and rocks.

I’m a belt and suspenders guy when it comes to anchoring.

Can we still stay civil?

I suppose that is the problem with assumptions as Seapiper is increasing production capacity to meet demand and the timeline to get a boat is now pushed back to 8 months.
A lead time of 8 months for that kind of manufacturer isn't a very full order book. Yes it is a niche boat. Niches fill quickly. And, it isn't a matter of getting a few drops on you going forward. I'm guessing you haven't been out in much weather. If you are driving that thing into a seaway and rain, just opening the pilothouse door is going to soak the pilothouse sole. The forward companionway has scuttle hatch that has to be raised so everything in the forward cabin will be soaked too. That is a fair weather arrangement - even with the Bimini.

IIf you want to go somewhere from the Texas coast you have a trip ahead of you. To the Chesapeake? 2 weeks, not counting waiting on a weather window. Bahamas? The same. Sea of Cortez? Couple months or a truck ride. If you had this boat, a trailer and a truck, you could conceivably do all three in a month.

^^ This. To me that is what the boat is about. I can cruise the BC coast in May and the Maine coast in July.

A lead time of 8 months for that kind of manufacturer isn't a very full order book. Yes it is a niche boat. Niches fill quickly. And, it isn't a matter of getting a few drops on you going forward. I'm guessing you haven't been out in much weather. If you are driving that thing into a seaway and rain, just opening the pilothouse door is going to soak the pilothouse sole. The forward companionway has scuttle hatch that has to be raised so everything in the forward cabin will be soaked too. That is a fair weather arrangement - even with the Bimini.

^^ This. To me that is what the boat is about. I can cruise the BC coast in May and the Maine coast in July.

I had similar thoughts about the trailer-ability. I live in New England and do all my boating there. Being able to put this boat on a trailer to the PNW or FL and explore there for 6 mos or so is a big plus. It can fit on a standard flatbed and shouldn't cost more than a few grand to send it anywhere in the US. I'm also thinking it would do nicely for a couple doing the loop. Not very tall, plenty of range, economical to run. I'll stay civil and avoid any anchor discussions.

OK.....I didn't want to have to be the one that brought it up, but......

This is a boat for a single person. I can't imagine using the head after a few beers and burritos at the local cantina with an occupied bunk just inches away.

Relocating the head to the wheelhouse would make this a really nice boat. It would be more convenient for single handing, and provide some privacy for anyone in the v-berth. Adding 2 feet of beam might make it the perfect boat.

This is something I don’t have a good answer to - maybe someone has some thoughts. Tender - where do you store it or how do you deal with it on this boat. I know nobody here has one - yet, but there must be others that deal with a tender on a smaller boat. On my 37’ sailboat I had an inflatable that I disassembled and rolled up. I towed it locally and stowed it below for passages. On my Cheoy Lee I could hoist it on deck. None of these three options seem practical for this. You can get davits, but they are listed at a couple hundred pounds or so, hardly enough for most dink’s, especially if it gets some water in it. Even then, about 10 feet is as short as you’d want, and even with heavier custom davits that held the weight it would hang over each side and could be a problem with waves, docks or whatever.

To me, this is s big deal.

Thoughts?

OK.....I didn't want to have to be the one that brought it up, but......

This is a boat for a single person. I can't imagine using the head after a few beers and burritos at the local cantina with an occupied bunk just inches away.

Relocating the head to the wheelhouse would make this a really nice boat. It would be more convenient for single handing, and provide some privacy for anyone in the v-berth. Adding 2 feet of beam might make it the perfect boat.

Long trip to the head in the middle of the night

This is something I don’t have a good answer to - maybe someone has some thoughts. Tender - where do you store it or how do you deal with it on this boat. I know nobody here has one - yet, but there must be others that deal with a tender on a smaller boat. On my 37’ sailboat I had an inflatable that I disassembled and rolled up. I towed it locally and stowed it below for passages. On my Cheoy Lee I could hoist it on deck. None of these three options seem practical for this. You can get davits, but they are listed at a couple hundred pounds or so, hardly enough for most dink’s, especially if it gets some water in it. Even then, about 10 feet is as short as you’d want, and even with heavier custom davits that held the weight it would hang over each side and could be a problem with waves, docks or whatever.

To me, this is s big deal.

Thoughts?

I think the davits would work fine for an inflatable with a small (possibly removeable) outboard. Should easily be under the weight limit. Unless you really need a substantial dinghy/outboard. Also, why wouldn't deflating and storing on the deck not work as you've done in the past?

Perhaps in the future they might offer a different deck plan but, I doubt if they will make a larger hull.

I agree. The narrow beam was chosen for a reason. But who knows, if they are successful they may branch out into other areas other than trailerable trawlers.

I think the davits would work fine for an inflatable with a small (possibly removeable) outboard. Should easily be under the weight limit. Unless you really need a substantial dinghy/outboard. Also, why wouldn't deflating and storing on the deck not work as you've done in the past?

On my 37’ I stored the outboard on a stainless stand near the mast, entire inflatable went behind the cushions below. Cheoy Lee had room to hoist and lash assembled on the foredeck. You are correct, I could store it disassembled in the cockpit, not real convenient and uses up much usable room. Can’t say it wouldn’t work, but doesn’t seem very convenient. I’d want an 8 hp or so outboard, could make another stand somewhere, maybe on the foredeck?

A number of you guys have mentioned you have smaller trawler type boats. How do you deal with a tender?

I don't have a good method. I have a rollup inflatable so inflate it when needed. It's not convenient but no easy way to deal with it and I don't use it real often. I could put snap davits on the swim platform but not really happy about that method either. I have an electric motor so light and easy to install/remove and store.

A number of you guys have mentioned you have smaller trawler type boats. How do you deal with a tender?

I normally have have a roll up 10' inflatable on the cabin roof with a 2hp Honda in the cockpit, two 10' kayaks on the pilothouse roof, two 10' blow up paddle boards down below, and sometimes tow a Minto sailing dinghy. We anchor out and primarily use the kayaks to get to the beach, rocks or island as desired. Kayak is used for placing a stern tie as well.

That said, I don't think I've ever tied up to a dinghy dock or made a grocery run with a dinghy. Completely different use here than in more populated areas.

I normally have have a roll up 10' inflatable on the cabin roof with a 2hp Honda in the cockpit, two 10' kayaks on the pilothouse roof, two 10' blow up paddle boards down below, and sometimes tow a Minto sailing dinghy. We anchor out and primarily use the kayaks to get to the beach, rocks or island as desired. Kayak is used for placing a stern tie as well.

That said, I don't think I've ever tied up to a dinghy dock or made a grocery run with a dinghy. Completely different use here than in more populated areas.

Can you send more details or pictures of how the kayak is attached to the roof? Any rack or supports?

Can you send more details or pictures of how the kayak is attached to the roof? Any rack or supports?

I through bolted tie-down eye straps on top of a 1/4" thick rectangular teak pad; four for each kayak. The through bolts (actually 10-24 machine screws) have 1" fender washers on the backside and the holes are all properly potted with epoxy. The teak pads are varnished and bedded to the deck with Boatlife polysulfide ( I like their teak color) to keep it all waterproof.

I use foam kayak blocks and 1" webbing straps as you would use on a car roof rack. Strips off easy and can barely see when all is removed.

https://sea-dog.com/groups/2269-tie-down-eye-strap

Over-zoomed cropped photo attached, but you'll get the idea.

Kayaks on pilothouse pic here: https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/members/2548-albums30-picture2244.html

Initially I used the handrails. But I prefer using the handrails for hands and the straps were tough on the varnish.

Attachments

• kayak.jpg
    kayak.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
I can see that the rollup dinghy could be stored on top of the galley behind the pilothouse. Not ideal but doable. That would keep the height from going up for low bridges. Might even be able to make a cradle for the outboard in the engine room. We have kayaks and taking them would be a big incentive for my girlfriend. Not sure if they'd have an easy home on this smaller boat, but lots to think about.

I need to find one I can fondle!

I can see that the rollup dinghy could be stored on top of the galley behind the pilothouse. Not ideal but doable. That would keep the height from going up for low bridges. Might even be able to make a cradle for the outboard in the engine room. We have kayaks and taking them would be a big incentive for my girlfriend. Not sure if they'd have an easy home on this smaller boat, but lots to think about.

I need to find one I can fondle!

If you search around you can see pics of the kayaks hanging outboard on the railing of the upper deck.
No comment on your desire to fondle your kayak.

One beauty of trailerable boats is you can go lots of places that require a dinghy in a deeper draft cruising boat.

For some folks it's a no go for whatever reason. *For others it's just right. *We're in the "it's just right" group.

It seems like some folks complain it's not a Nordhavn 65. *Well, it's not. *If you don't like it because the "deck" is in front of instead of behind the wheelhouse, then that's okay. *If you don't like the bathroom is in the cabin instead of the wheelhouse, then that's okay. *If you DO like the SeaPiper features - and cost - like we do, then good for you.

We'd love keeping an eye on the grandkids in front of us instead of on a back deck.

It's a perfect beginner boat for us. *It's a great boat whether it's a step up for you or a step down.

What a wonderful world of boating that there's choices for all of us.

Back
Top Bottom