Thoughts on a Seapiper

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ah yes, gear adrift. What falls and breaks, you didn’t need.
Everyone’s boat need gear stowed even at the dock. Lol

By looking at the pictures, someone spends a lot of time aboard. With all that gear adrift -- the vases on the tables, etc... I imagine she is a marina queen.

I still contend the Seapiper is a very nice boat. In my part of the world -- the Gulf of Mexico she would make a nice fishing boat, dive boat, a general play boat.

Still, a good number of hours for a 1 year old boat. Looks like it's been used a lot in that time.

By looking at the pictures, someone spends a lot of time aboard. With all that gear adrift -- the vases on the tables, etc... I imagine she is a marina queen.

Perhaps not that much of a marina queen -- already this year it has gone from homeport in St. Petersburg UP the rivers, including the Mississippi, to the Great Lakes. And there's the 450 hours on a year-old boat to consider.

Perhaps not that much of a marina queen -- already this year it has gone from homeport in St. Petersburg UP the rivers, including the Mississippi, to the Great Lakes. And there's the 450 hours on a year-old boat to consider.

I was referring to the interior pictures, not the engine hours. Engine hours don't tell you the period (first 2-3-4 months of ownership or last month) that the engine was used.

Interesting discussion, especially after seeing so many of their ads on-line. To me the layout looks awkward and cramped, especially with a few days of weather. Have you looked at the Ranger Tugs? I have been on a couple of the 31CB's, which have a flybridge with a nice seating area, as well as a usable cockpit aft, and a swim platform, so the OA is very similar to the SeaPiper. Their prices are higher than SeaPiper, but a lot of the "extras" are included in the base price, so I imagine the final cost would be similar. I should say I don't own a Ranger Tug, and never really considered a trailerable boat, but I was impressed with what I saw.

I did study it a bit, but there are drawbacks. Just my personal position in life, but I can squeak by and pay for the Sea Piper, but the Ranger 31 s or sc are both over width and twice the money. Just out of what I can justify.

the Sea Piper will cruise at about 7 knots at a gallon an hour. Top speed around 9 at a much higher fuel burn. Although I haven't seen the fuel burn on the Ranger, at 320 hp, top speed of 16, you don't gain a lot. But, I'm sure fuel burn goes through the roof. I doubt you'd spend much time at those speeds, but I doubt at the same speed as the Sea Piper, you'd get anywhere near the fuel economy. I've talked to several people with big sport fisher type cruisers. They can go much faster - but even if they can afford a million $+ boat, they stay below hull speed on long passages. They say they can't afford the grossly higher fuel cost. If they can't, neither can I! But, I guess the point is, all that extra HP would be wasted.

One thing I don't get - My 40' sailboat with 30 hp would get about 6-7 knots at a lower throttle and burn roughly 1/2 gallon an hour. Not sure why the Sea Piper needs so much hp. I guess for margin of safety in bad weather. Just think if it had a roughly 30 hp Yanmar, old fashioned mechanical injection diesel. Run forever - 8000-10,000 hours with little maintenance, and probably have a range of 3500 miles or so.

Move the pilot house forward, put in that old Yanmar, I'm in.

Last edited:
I think that Beta could chug away all day at 1/2 gallon/hr and 6+ knots, if that's how you want to travel. I'm all for fuel shipping slow travel, and that motor wouldn't bother me a bit.

I think that Beta could chug away all day at 1/2 gallon/hr and 6+ knots, if that's how you want to travel. I'm all for fuel shipping slow travel, and that motor wouldn't bother me a bit.

I agree with Jeff. Those Beta are industrial service engines. I think the Beta is a plus

I agree with Jeff. Those Beta are industrial service engines. I think the Beta is a plus

They are based on Kubota engines. When I was a letter carrier I could recognize the soft purring sound of a Kubota diesel backhoe from over a block away :thumb:

I have only seen one from the dock, and then following them on the web. I could have swore I saw one in San Diego Bay about 9 months ago from a distance, but I don't think there are any owners down here unless someone was passing through?

Nice boat for the money, and agree, that Kubota (engine used in the Cummins/Onan Generators) is a perfect fit.

Slip and mooring access can be challenging in SoCal during the Summer, so the shorter length is a good thing for accessability.

The designer and builder had certain parameters and usage in mind, and based on their new orders they apparently hit the mark.

The beam is narrow (for particular reasons as others have noted) so this vessel would seem to me a perfect fit for the small SK Gyro to take the edge off while traveling in exposed areas. But, to each his own.

Now isn't that strange - a used Sea Piper being sold under a different name. And at a higher than new price! I guess if you want one today and not wait 6 months to a year it might be ok.

I'm aware of this listing. It's a SeaPiper but the MLS didn't have a manufacturer in the "pull down" so he had to use American Tug. The MLS folks will get SeaPiper added by Monday so the listing will change. The base price for new is about $190K but this boat has all the options including the $25K sea keeper option. 2020 model with 400 hours on the Beta. I know the "new" leadtime is out to 8 months.

The boat started the Loop in Florida and is now in Michigan so not really a "marina queen"

Great Harbor TT35?
http://www.greatharbourtrawlers.com/tt35-key-features.html

I'm aware of this listing. It's a SeaPiper but the MLS didn't have a manufacturer in the "pull down" so he had to use American Tug. The MLS folks will get SeaPiper added by Monday so the listing will change. The base price for new is about $190K but this boat has all the options including the $25K sea keeper option. 2020 model with 400 hours on the Beta. I know the "new" leadtime is out to 8 months.

In reality, that probably isn't a bad deal if you wanted one now. It's about what I had in mind price wise, remove the trailer and add the seakeeper. Many things are selling above list price due to availability, like new cars, so it could make sense.

I would really like to see one in person. If anyone knows of one in Florida now I'd love to visit. I'll be heading for the midwest in a week or so, that might open up more possibilities.

Closest one right now to San Diego is in Oxnard, CA. Arrived a couple of months ago.
Wife and I will have the first one in San Diego. Hull #9 hoping to deliver in the next few months.
It has the SeaKeeper 2. Second hull to have the stern thruster option. Bimini Cover, Dingy Davits, Duel AC, Ray Marine Nav. Package.
Even with the 8.5' beam, it has more interior room then our 9.6"beam had.

There are a few in Florida. Contact Designer Ritzo via website. I'm sure he can lead you to one. Most of the owners are open to visits.

I just went to the seapiper site and have to say that it's just not my cup of tea.

In the 35 foot ranger there are a lot of choices and I suppose everyone has their preferences.

If it were me, I'd be looking at a well equipped nordic or willard, or even one of the several Tawain Trawler brands that would work.

Heck, even Bayliner back in the day had a 32' trawler that is very well regarded.

Looks like a nifty boat but the big turnoff to me is the splitting up of the cabin area.

All boats are a compromise, but that's not how I would cut up the available space.

On an emotional level, I really really like the look of the boat. I'd have to grow a beard and smoke a pipe and start wearing a greek fisherman's hat........

On a practical level I think the compromise of beam for trailerability is too great. When I think "trailer boat" I think of a center console or bow rider that spends most of it's time on the trailer and gets splashed in different places every weekend. Since this boat ( the way I envision it ) Would only be trailered a short distance at the beginning and end of the season, and maybe a long road trip to Florida or Buffalo 2 or 3 times in 10 years, I would rather have the extra foot or so of beam and deal with the trailering difficulty when its out of the water. Since the boat would spend 95% of its time at my home marina that extra beam would be worth more than the towing complications for the other 5% of the time.

I see someone suggested the TT35. Make sure you research that before you commit anything. I'd suggest you do enough research to realize your money would be better spent on a gambling habit ( or towing permits ).

Oh Oh, someone mentioned TT35. :angel:
Dont we have enough to discuss w/o bringing up the TT35? :facepalm:
I'd suggest you do enough research to realize your money would be better spent on a gambling habit ( or towing permits ).

Or wild women and cheap whiskey? :D

Last edited:
Just wish there were more thin boats made. Historically the way to get more interior volume has been beam over length. Understand fees usually based on length not beam except for multis. Still, for economy, decreasing necessary emotive force, and seakeeping if a decent AVS can be generated a long thin boat is favored. Seakeeper has put the weight low. The A/B is good and the choice of equipment reasonable. Agree ER access and freeing of green water problematic for anything other than fair weather. Still, it’s the only recent offering that’s not a big, fat boat.
I called them awhile back asking if they had any plans making use of the long but narrow beam concept. Herreshoff drew a bunch and Dashew popularized it more recently. It’s good physics. A 45-50’ boat with a solid grp hull along those lines would be a great offering. Maybe not a FPB but affordable and serve the purpose for many of us. Most of us aren’t high lat sailors.

Oh Oh, someone mentioned TT35. :angel:
Dont we have enough to discuss w/o bringing up the TT35? :facepalm:

Or wild women and cheap whiskey? :D

I spent most of my money on wine, women, and boats. The rest I wasted.

Let's face it, SeaPiper is getting a lot of free advertising here.
Some good, some not so good but it is free.
I think many of us are being very honest when saying "not for me", but also acknowledge the SeaPiper does have a place in the boating community.

Actors have been known to say about PR, 'Good for bad, just so long as the spell my name correctly.'

Well, we have accomplished that with the SeaPiper. :D

Last edited:
I have sailed most of my life however now in my 70's I am looking at trawlers. Got a little Ranger tug to fill the gap. I am not thrilled with the Seapiper layout but I keep going back to it. It kinda grabs you, or me at least. For a coastal boat its a good size and if your not planning on living on it the layout really isn't bad especially with a center Bimini. I would like to see a bow thruster. Not any more expensive than a used Nordic tug. I would need more owners reviews and actually be on one especially in bad weather.

I'm new to boating and never thought a 35 foot boat would ever be something I could afford.

Then I came across the Seapiper and... wow. It just clicked for me. It isn't cheap but the design is simple while being open and the fuel efficiency and range means you can actually take it quite far without going broke. It seems to be a lot of boat for the money.

As for design, I'm in SoCal and it's brilliant for this area. Take it to Catalia or just cruise around Newport with some friends for the day. Those of you with rain I can understand the (minor) complaints but I see myself taking it to Baja and enjoying the mid-cabin.

It seems you have plenty of options with the design. I would think even using it to fish from the mid-cabin area would work so the boat can fill multiple rolls.

I hope to see one in person soon

Boy $250,000.00 and that's all you get? Thank god I haven't shopped for boats. I have $15,000.00 in mine including new diesel, driveline and electronics plus I can afford to anchor and charter a flight to a luxury hotel every night with the money I saved, if such were my requirements. I'm thinkin' I may be in the wrong forum, for that money I'd have a hell of a lot more boat.

What would be the point of this forum if the goal was to save money and fly to hotels?

I have sailed most of my life however now in my 70's I am looking at trawlers. Got a little Ranger tug to fill the gap. I am not thrilled with the Seapiper layout but I keep going back to it. It kinda grabs you, or me at least. For a coastal boat its a good size and if your not planning on living on it the layout really isn't bad especially with a center Bimini. I would like to see a bow thruster. Not any more expensive than a used Nordic tug. I would need more owners reviews and actually be on one especially in bad weather.

We’re in just about the same boat - age, me not a lifetime sailor, but long time but with the same ideas. At least someone here understands!

This boat comes with a bow thruster standard. Rear thruster is an option, seems to me a good addition. I, too, would really like to set foot on one. I’ve been tracking down the specs on over 2 dozen other supposedly trailerable trawlers - or similar boats - I can find nothing else with even half the range. Some look more comfortable, many are outboard, which are not my idea of a long range boat.

Life is so much simpler when you don’t have choices!

I'm new to boating and never thought a 35 foot boat would ever be something I could afford.

Then I came across the Seapiper and... wow. It just clicked for me. It isn't cheap but the design is simple while being open and the fuel efficiency and range means you can actually take it quite far without going broke. It seems to be a lot of boat for the money.

As for design, I'm in SoCal and it's brilliant for this area. Take it to Catalia or just cruise around Newport with some friends for the day. Those of you with rain I can understand the (minor) complaints but I see myself taking it to Baja and enjoying the mid-cabin.

It seems you have plenty of options with the design. I would think even using it to fish from the mid-cabin area would work so the boat can fill multiple rolls.

I hope to see one in person soon

If it fits for your boating style, and sounds like it does, it's probably a great boat for the money. Just keep in mind that it's not comparable in size to most 35' boats. With that narrow beam, you're getting about 2/3 the space of most 35's, but again if it fits you then go for it and enjoy! Also, welcome to the forum!

Last edited:
Comparing the 35' SeaPiper to any other 35' boat is the old "apples and oranges" comparison.
May I suggest comparing the SeaPiper to a UK type canal boat.

Bow thruster is standard equipment on SeaPiper. Stern Thruster is optional. Stern Thruster is not a bolt on. Tunnels built into the hull and thruster motor in the rudder compartment. Stern Thruster design review and approved by Vetus.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom