Thoughts on a Seapiper

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I would be curious what percentage of Sea Pipers go out the door with stabilizers. I think the key drivers of demand for the boat are low price and narrow beam. If you're willing to spend more and stability is a priority, I'm not sure you would be looking at a Sea Piper.

I think it would be like going to McDonald's and spending more for glass stemware and cloth napkins.

I think there are other boat manufacturers more equivalent to the McDonalds business model than Seapiper :oldman:

I came to boating via sea kayaking where you learn to be more sensitive and attuned to wind, wave, and currents than most boaters.

Our trawler can have a tendency to snap-roll like a bronco when the waves are up, so when those conditions are happening we anchor and go hiking. If a big crossing is planned, we make sure conditions will be good for the duration.

It would be the same with a gyro-less Seapiper, in that you pick your days to travel.

Last edited:
..I think there are other boat manufacturers more equivalent to the McDonalds business model than Seapiper... .

I wasn't implying low quality or even "cheap" by saying McDonald's. Just that a McDonald's diner has certain priorities that brought them there, and if stemware and linen were priorities, you wouldn't be at McDonald's.

I could have said a Ferrari buyer who pays extra for a trailer hitch, or someone who has rod holders installed in a jet powered hydroplane. Most products have a target demographic and I don't think the typical Sea Piper buyer would spend $25k on a gyro stabilizer. I could be wrong.

You live aboard, right? Nobody is suggesting the Seapiper as a live aboard :socool:

If one is going to do the loop on a Seapiper, it will become a live aboard.
Better set it up with all the amenities and creature comforts before starting the voyage.
Couple of advantages of the Seapiper, should be able to do the AICW, can fit in shipping container, do the UK canals, shallow draft then either sell it there or bring it back.
I think it would have many advantages over a 35ft canal boat, if the Seapiper is fully dressed. Of course there is the problem with providing for heating the boat.

Last edited:
Looks more like a dive boat, or a small assist craft for salvage - like bringing air tanks and/or recharging, lines, block-n-tackle, etc. As I looked it over, the first question that came to me was, why separate the deck with two housings? I've seen similar crafts that use a separate housing arrangement like this for isolating certain equipment, either for specific storage, safety reasons, and such.

If I were at the helm at Seapiper I’d be strongly inclined to build two models. One as is and another w the aft cabin moved fwd to the fwd cabin.

Design layout could and should be configured to minimize the cost of offering two models. It may very well be necessary as in “can’t afford not to” as the saying goes.

There’s a good boat there and I’d love to see it survive.

^^ hear hear. They would expand the market 2x by offering a more conventional layout. Maybe their order book is full already.

HaHa DDW,
HaHa that didn’t occur to me. If they’re a low buck company, and almost all builders are in that boat till they get sales flowing very unusual boats have a real time of it … unless the’ve got a real gem that just takes off like the Boston Whaler probably was it’s really hard to pay the rent. Many never get out of this stage.

My guess is the’ll expand their market base X 5 w a conventional option.
Like I said I’d like to see the Piper succeed.

They need more beam. A 9.5 ft. beam would make a huge difference in the internal spaces. The difficulty in trailering 9.5 ft versus 8.5 ft is negligible, particularly with a vessel that's 35 ft. long.

They need more beam. A 9.5 ft. beam would make a huge difference in the internal spaces. The difficulty in trailering 9.5 ft versus 8.5 ft is negligible, particularly with a vessel that's 35 ft. long.

The hauling is negligible, but the legalities are not, and that is the point. Permits, restricted roads, possibly no night hauling, all that is a big deal.

I agree with most of the comments, and am quite undecided. If I had my druthers, the pilothouse would be moved against the forward cabin, leaving a bigger rear deck and hopefully an enclosed pass through to the v berth. I get it. It's not an option, though. So far as I know they've built about a dozen, so there isn't a lot out there to check out.

As to the seakeeper, normal seas don't bother me, that is part of the game. Heavy weather - well, my motto has been "You can't always tell what the weather is going to be, but you can always wait until a time that you can" ever since we got the holy **** pounded out of us for not watching close enough. I wait until I'm sure there is a good window. My little tag line below indicates that!

I'm still open to ideas on something similar functionally. New or used.

Rainbow Chaser Stories

The designer was concerned with transport without requiring permits for oversized loads. Thus, 8.5 feet.

If someone wants more beam then they need to look for another boat.

Let me ask this - is there another choice, new or used - that is both trailerable and capable of going offshore like this one should be? Not really blue water capable, and I wouldn't consider this one that, but, with a reasonable eye on the weather, safe to make shorter passages?

There are a number of makes that are trailerable and you can order a trailer for them, Ranger Tugs, Cutwaters, etc. You just haven't looked enough. Personally I'd rather have a trailerable Ranger Tug that the Sea Piper.

There are a number of makes that are trailerable and you can order a trailer for them, Ranger Tugs, Cutwaters, etc. You just haven't looked enough. Personally I'd rather have a trailerable Ranger Tug that the Sea Piper.

Seapiper's large fuel tanks, small engine, huge range, and a box keel you can dry out on override whatever negatives there may be with accommodations.

Pretty sure the Seapiper's hull is a bit more 'robust' than a Ranger Tug.

Also less *bling* to pay for.

I'd take the Seapiper over the Ranger any day. The Ranger line always seemed to me trying to cram too much into too small of a hull.. They have been very successful in selling them ,no doubt.

How many $$$ is a Ranger Tug? Less than a $300K SeaPiper.

Quick search for base prices:

27' Ranger Tug (for the 8'6" trailer-ability) is $214,000.00 US

35' Seapiper is $190,000.00 US

That's a lot more boat for your buck :thumb:

Last edited:
Thanks. I just looked at them - I had before, but but it's been a while. Here are the notes I made as I did this time:

r-25, outboard gas, not practical for longer offshore trips, not long range, but fast. Diesel generator doesn't seem practical. priced similar new to the Sea Piper

r-27, similar to above , but smaller than Sea Piper, 300 hp gas, more money and most likely far less fuel efficient. No mention of speeds in their ads.

31, 10' beam, permits needed, 320 hp. 2/3 fuel capacity of Sea piper, Obviously a go faster boat, otherwise similar in size and specs to Sea Piper, but 2X $ Range would be far less.

Thanks for mentioning them, I'm still looking. If I were to design one, it would probably pull some features of each.

I haven't looked at Cutwaters, will now.

Quick look at Cutwater - Gas 250 hp outboard, 24'. Not remotely comparable.

Still Looking.

This article is a little dated but it gives a brief write up, and links to manufacturers websites on:

Ranger R-25
Rosborough 246
Nordic Tug 26
North Pacific Pilothouse 28
Minor Offshore

https://www.yachtworld.com/research/pocket-trawlers-five-for-value-and-versatility/

I have no knowledge of them but people rave about C-Dory's sea keeping abilities.

Now that is a pretty good selection and a bare bones description of each.

There is one additional entry that looked like a distant cousin, and shorter, to the Seapiper.... It was discussed here yesterday. I forgot the name. SIGH

Now that is a pretty good selection and a bare bones description of each.

There is one additional entry that looked like a distant cousin, and shorter, to the Seapiper.... It was discussed here yesterday. I forgot the name. SIGH

The Seapiper had two design criteria of the hull. 1. Can be trailered w/o permits (or maybe one)and 2. will fit in a shipping container. I doubt if we will see them changing that criteria.

Last edited:
I get the concerns with hauling overwidth, and the necessity of permits, but folks on the king mackerel tournament circuit do it routinely.

My experience is mainly in North Carolina, but permits for loads under 12 ft. wide are easily obtainable. North Carolina even has specific permit requirements for private boat movement on the highways, and those requirements are less stringent than those for hauling overweight construction equipment, for example.

There are restrictions on overwidth movement after dark, and on some holiday weekends. But I'd rather have another foot, or even a foot-and-a-half, of beam and deal with some hauling restrictions. Moving a boat that's 35 ft. long and grossing perhaps 17,000 lbs on a trailer is not something to be taken lightly, regardless of beam. I have no desire to haul that load after dark, and I say that as someone who has a lot of experience moving heavy construction equipment.

I think the narrow width has more to do with desire to fit the boat in a shipping container, and thus contain costs of delivery to the U.S., than the ease of hauling on U.S. highways.

Last edited:
Everytime I read a Seapiper thread, I think, what a shame it it is marketed to Americans. If I recall, the designer is Swedish, living in the States

Seems like a right boat, but for the wrong audience. The Seapiper has specific design criteria that most American's don't seem to embrace or even fathom. Which in itself is is okay. I imagine selling Porsches or Jags to people who drove Roadmasters in the 50s was similar. Doesn't make them better or worse. Just different vehicles for different purposes.

Americans obviously want a Ranger Tug. Which is something I don't quite understand. Not a fan.

Last edited:
LOL Not even close to an American Tug. Someone ought to send a note to them.

On a positive note, it appears to be fully 'dressed'. Cant identify any A/Cs on board.

It lists AC. Most of what it lists is standard. Freezer, ac, instruments, camera, generator and bimini are options. No rear thruster. Does have the Sea Keeper (about a $20K option) but no trailer - about $20K to have one made.

The owner spent big bucks upgrading it.
I think it will make someone very happy when they loop or near shore.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom