Old 02-09-2018, 12:23 PM   #1

City: Bainbridge Island
Vessel Name: Mahalo
Vessel Model: 2018 Hampton Endurance 658
Thoughts on folding dock cart

I recall a post by James of Dirona fame, regarding his folding dock cart. He feels it is one of the handiest things he has on his boat.

I believe it is this one:

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/tipke...59?recordNum=9

Anyone else have one, want to speak to usefulness? Do you find that when you need a dock cart, none can be found?

Suppose you know that your own is clean/dry?

You don't have to feel bad about having it loaded up sitting on your dock (i.e. no one else can use it that way)?
JustBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 12:30 PM   #2
TF Site Team

City: Westerly, RI
Vessel Name: N/A
Vessel Model: 1999 Mainship 350 Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustBob View Post

You don't have to feel bad about having it loaded up sitting on your dock (i.e. no one else can use it that way)?
Except that it would be partially blocking the main dock (inconvenient to anyone in slips beyond yours) or the finger pier (inconvenient to your neighbor).

I'd request the marina put more out. Are you going to store it on the boat, or carry it around with you? I would find them to be inconvenient.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 12:35 PM   #3
Veteran Member

City: St Joseph, MI
Vessel Name: Viva La Vida
Vessel Model: Carver 530 Voyager
I was thinking of getting something like this that can be attached to a bike when on the loop for a grocery run (or Beer).
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Schwinn-D...ctedSellerId=0
I would probably have to modify or add a handle for the dock cart option.
For $75 you would not have to worry too much.
mcgann454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 12:41 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
Except that it would be partially blocking the main dock (inconvenient to anyone in slips beyond yours) or the finger pier (inconvenient to your neighbor).

I'd request the marina put more out. Are you going to store it on the boat, or carry it around with you? I would find them to be inconvenient.
I gather they find it useful when visiting other marinas than their own. Good points about blocking the dock if it is that small.

l'll have a sizable lazarette, storage should not be a problem. It folds up to pretty small.
Old 02-09-2018, 12:52 PM   #5
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
I keep one of these Costco folding utility wagons in my trunk. With a couple bungie cords which always are stored inside, it holds all I need for a huge load to and from the boat.

When not in use at the marina, it's stowed flat against the dock box which is out of everyone's way.

EDIT: I forgot to mention it folds and fits easily in the laz for trips away from our home marina.

https://www.costco.com/Mac-Sports-Fo...100371844.html

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 12:54 PM   #6
Guru

City: Northport
We have that same aluminum folding cart for well over 10 years now and use it all the time both on and off the boat. Use it a lot visiting other ports as well as loading and unloading the boat. Used it to help move our daughter back and forth to college a few years back.
It will hold a lot but cannot hold huge amounts of weight - like 10+ cases of soda/beer.
The tires we have are air filled and need topping off every couple of years or so.
smitty477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 01:01 PM   #7
Guru

City: Bainbridge Island/Petersburg Alaska
Vessel Name: Oz
Vessel Model: Bluewater 40' RPH 1979
Tipke folding cart is absolutely a must have on our boat. Our first one lasted 25 years on the boat and is now in use at our home as a garden cart. We replaced it with a new one as I took the old one back home and Mcgivered some repairs on it. We've used it for everything-groceries, laundry, oil, engine parts and even anchor rode. And we don't have to go chasing down a marina cart ,that might be dirty, when we need one. After you get the hang of it, it can be folded and unfolded in 10-15 seconds. We leave it folded up when in port and leaning against the bull rails. When getting underway, I lift it up on top from the dock and bungee it to the rails. Not the cheapest in the short run, but the best.

Tator
Tator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 02:18 PM   #8
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: Alzero
Vessel Model: Hatteras 63' CPMY
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgann454 View Post
I was thinking of getting something like this that can be attached to a bike when on the loop for a grocery run (or Beer).
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Schwinn-D...ctedSellerId=0
I would probably have to modify or add a handle for the dock cart option.
For $75 you would not have to worry too much.
I have a much larger one (250lb cap w/fatbike wheels) that I use to haul trail tools behind an electric mountain bike. Even when it is over loaded it is easy to use it as a one handed garden cart when unhitched. If I was getting fancy I would get a second handle that was bent up for a person to pull or push it while keeping the bed level when it wasn't being towed. YMMV on a steep tidal dock!
Woodland Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 02:27 PM   #9
Guru

City: Vallejo, California
Vessel Name: Mahalo Moi
Vessel Model: 1986 Grand Banks 42 Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustBob View Post
I recall a post by James of Dirona fame, regarding his folding dock cart. He feels it is one of the handiest things he has on his boat.

I believe it is this one:

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/tipke...59?recordNum=9

Anyone else have one, want to speak to usefulness? Do you find that when you need a dock cart, none can be found?

Suppose you know that your own is clean/dry?

We’ve had that cart for about ten years. Couldn’t imagine not having it with us. Just the other day the dock cart provided by our marine was full of fish guts and used motor oil. Yikes!

A while back, our local Costco was selling the same cart for less than the big box marine store. Amazon might offer it cheaper as well.

If our current cart fails beyond repair, we’ll replace it with the same. Good stuff!

Edit: Just found this on Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00006LPPJ...a-312414617172
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑβΕ
Giggitoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 03:06 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
We have had one f those carts for over 10 years. Absolutely love it. It will carry more weight than I want to pull any significant distance. We have a S/S cable with a padlock if we are going to leave it on a dock. Not cheap, but worth every penny.
Comodave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 03:21 PM   #11
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Bob, I have found that the skinny wheel types just don't last and can not carry the loads from the grocery store back to the boat. I would recommend this. I have had this thing LOADED! Easy for the Admiral... We have blue

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/creat...31?recordNum=6
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 03:30 PM   #12

City: Florida
Vessel Name: Mersea
Vessel Model: Marquis 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
I keep one of these Costco folding utility wagons in my trunk. With a couple bungie cords which always are stored inside, it holds all I need for a huge load to and from the boat.

When not in use at the marina, it's stowed flat against the dock box which is out of everyone's way.

We have one of these in our garage at home. Well done product - only one issue. For me the handle is too short (I have long legs). When I pull it my ankles are continually getting hit.
FootballFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 03:33 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Sea-Duction View Post
Bob, I have found that the skinny wheel types just don't last and can not carry the loads from the grocery store back to the boat. I would recommend this. I have had this thing LOADED! Easy for the Admiral... We have blue

I have had the Tipke for over 10 years. As to weight capacity, I used mine to carry a Splendide washer/dryer about a half mile from the truck to the boat. No problem. It is rated for 330 pounds and I believe that mine would carry it, if I could pull it...
Comodave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 03:45 PM   #14
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comodave View Post
I have had the Tipke for over 10 years. As to weight capacity, I used mine to carry a Splendide washer/dryer about a half mile from the truck to the boat. No problem. It is rated for 330 pounds and I believe that mine would carry it, if I could pull it...
Wow that a load......
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 05:39 PM   #15

Quote:

This thing looks like a lunar rover! LOL. I will check it out at West Marine tomorrow.
Old 02-09-2018, 06:30 PM   #16
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
I have a twenty plus year old Tipke cart that is mostly used for yard work now. The only thing I’d like to change is the pneumatic tires. The tires seem to always be flat when I want to use it. One of these days I’m going to track down solid tires for it. They will add a few pounds, but I won’t have to pump them up every time.
Old 02-09-2018, 06:43 PM   #17
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post

EDIT: I forgot to mention it folds and fits easily in the laz for trips away from our home marina.

Got mine at Walmart for $49, no frills.

As far as the handle being too short, agree, but I use a liggage carrying strap over my shoulder and I can and have pulled well over a hundred pounds over a mile more effortlessly than those other dockcart like wheelbarrows.

The docklike carts are fine from the parking lot to the boat, but for longer distances the wagons win hands diwn.... and they are just as handy around the marina....and store very well.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 07:25 PM   #18
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Some of these could use a small towing tractor.
My marina is all class, they provide shopping trollies that once belonged(probably still do) to a supermarket chain.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 11:20 PM   #19
Guru

City: Pahrump, NV
Vessel Name: Pairadice
Vessel Model: Sold Selene 47
Quote:

I beg to differ, we have the skinny wheel type and it works great! It hauls just as much as yours does, and is a bit easier to fold up and stow. So there!
I cant imagine not having a fold up cart on the boat for long trips. It made provisioning and supply hauling much more enjoyable.
Now I will say this, if you buddy boat around with another cruiser like ASD, you may have to make several trips just to restock the “Adult beverages”, just saying!

Cheers
Crusty Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 01:21 AM   #20

City: Yelm, WA
Vessel Name: "Convergence"
Vessel Model: Camano Troll
I have a small two wheel folding cart with canvas sides. when I don't to carry anything, it just folds up and I can carry it in one hand. When open, it pulls easy and holds about a large grocery bag plus some.
I use it if we're walking in to town, but that's about it. If we're on a dock, most have carts easily available. I just don't like carrying around a large one that I'll likely use only rarely.
ctjstr is offline   Reply With Quote