Thoughts on this boat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have a friend with a 1985 Angel 65' yacht that is one of the best built boats I have ever seen. She sailed around the world for 30 years on a custom-built sailboat before retiring to this yacht about 5 years ago, and I think she has more sea-sense and boat knowledge than I will ever accumulate.

I've looked at a number of other Angels, even before I purchased my current boat, and found that they were very well built. They used the same yards (as did many builders back then) that my Ocean Alexander were built in, and have some of the strongest and best interiors that I've seen.

However, just like engines and everything else on a boat, it's *how* it has been maintained in the years since it was built, not the brand or the pictures online.

Looks like a good deal,
Just a note on the engines, I have had a trawlers with 3208's in them. They are easy to work on and last forever.
I notice they are turbo'd, check to make sure they are factory turbos as I had one boat where the PO had put aftermarket turbos on them. The factory non turbo heads are different without dual valve springs etc. Did not work out well.

Good luck, looks like a nice boat!

M

I agree with those that recommend making an offer contingent on a thorough hull survey and engine survey. You are wise to research the builder but it is so similar to other boats in that genre I would focus on price and utility for you. In order to formulate an offer I would ask a broker to tell you what comparable sales are. Since this is a limited production vessel there may not be much out there. If you do not have your own broker be sure to have an attorney review the offer/sale/purchase agreement for you BEFORE you sign anything. It is worth every penny. I can't count the number of times people have called me after the purchase has concluded with serious buyer's remorse. Fall in love with a boat after you know everything you can about her. The selling broker has stated sellers want offers. They say that a lot. Don't be afraid to offend the sellers or broker. My current boat was purchased I made an offer I was certain would be refused. To my surprise the sellers had done the math too and knew how much it would cost me to get the vessel ship shape. The less you spend the more fun you get to have getting her seaworthy and to your liking. Good luck!

Rob740: Looks like a lot of boat for the money and looks like she was reasonably well maintained. Just remember that you are buying a boat that would cost many hundreds of thousand if not into six figures today. So you will not be maintaining an 80 thou boat but more like a mil dollar boat. As a live aboard looks great. As you move forward, google "Marine Survey 101" its a great article by a surveyor on what to look for. Then pay for a good out of water survey and an engine survey. Take a hard look at the electrical and plumbing systems, the thru hulls, the control cables, and expect to replace batteries, hoses, and life limited items.
Best of luck to you, and keep us informed.

I agree to go in with your eyes wide open. You need to find everything wrong with it. You should be disgusted.

View attachment 99498View attachment 99499Those rough engines are a sign of years of neglect hidden with paint spray a couple years ago. Look at the slipshod door jamb works - that’s an indicator. Look at all the amateur modifications in the engine room carpentry and electrical works. Ignore the carpet and fabrics and countertops - those are no-brainer fixes.

So go survey this vessel yourself like I mentioned. Be a total jerk in your mind.

If you’re still interested after that then hire your pro surveyor and mechanic to check the boat out. The final report will definitely identify mandatory fixes per your insurance company - so negotiate even more after that.

You might wind up with a real winner - a minor project boat.

Good luck amigo!

My wife and I looked at that boat about a year and a half ago (it's been on the market a long time). Walked away. In addition to all that's stated above, the line in the YW summary "Cat 3208's for very efficient cruising" was the "no go" clincher. Oxymorons don't sell boats. And, when I issue statements like that, I'm probably cursing myself to living with a way-overpowered boat just to get the one my wife can't live without. For the time being, though, she's even more determined that engine(s) HP cannot total more than 350 combined.

Last edited:
If slips are tight then get your name on a few marina waiting lists. If you wait untill you have a boat you may not have a place to moor it.

If things are tight do not be too rigid about location or again you may not have a slip at all when you find your boat.

Allow for a slip that is larger than your ideal size as the new boat may also not be the ideal length.

It may be a waste of time but time you have. If you get a slip that is not as close or ideal as you hoped for then keep trying once you have that not ideal slip.

There is movement but without that name on a list you have no chance.

I have seen people miss on slip possibilities, even those that are not ideal, and end up in panic and farther away than they wanted because they would not consider a waiting list.

And if you do put your name on a list keep checking with the marina every 3, 4 - 6 months or you may get dropped off. My wife and I did that for 5 years and the last check we found we had been inadvertently dropped from the list for a larger than ideal length. Because we talked to them and checked they dug back and yup, there we were on the previous list. And guess what we got, the larger slip and I've never been sorry.

The OP appears to live on Camano Island. If he wants to keep a boat, any boat, on the east side of Puget Sound north of Seattle he should get on every waiting list he can get on very soon. Moorage is VERY tight. Many marinas have waiting lists years long. While looking to purchase I got on the waiting list for every marina that was within a 3 hr trip from home. I called the ones I was primarily interested in every few weeks. While putting the to be purchased boat through survey and sea trials and then protracted negotiations a slip many hours away came open and I took it, I started paying moorage even though I wasn't ready. Unfortunately the boat needed much more work than I thought and it was on the hard swollowing my cash for months. During that time a good slip came open close to home. I still wasn't ready but I "moved out" of the original slip and started paying moorage on the new one to hold it for me. During that time I fibbed to both marinas a bit saying I'd be there soon, just as soon as work was completed.

I can't prove it but I think calling every few week worked for me. I never got pushy or demanding. Always polite and friendly. Even stopping by the office to chat with the staff every month to 6 weeks. What happens is you may be way down on a list but it can move very quickly when it moves because many like me are on lots of lists and aren't ready yet. Many won't pay for an empty slip to hold it for a few months. So when a slip comes open the staff starts calling down the list. If they remember you and like you? Maybe it helps. It can't hurt.

So yeah, I spent some $$ getting on waiting lists and more $$$$ paying for slips I didn't use. Had I not done that I'd have had to play the transient moorage and shuffle the boat around game. In many marinas a few days transient moorage can equal the cost of a month contract moorage.

Back
Top Bottom