For Those Transiting Through Jacksonville

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

menzies

Guru
Vessel Name
SONAS
Vessel Make
Grand Alaskan 53
A number of you are coming through Jax soon. FYI Palm Cove Marina just dropped their diesel price from $2.80 to $2:30. Might be worth a top up as you pass.

Much farther north, but in the same vein: New River Marina at mm 247 has diesel for $1.13! Including all taxes..... We used to plan on filling up at Osprey, but this is even cheaper. We will be stopping there in a few weeks on our way north now that Maryland is open.

Much farther north, but in the same vein: New River Marina at mm 247 has diesel for $1.13! Including all taxes..... We used to plan on filling up at Osprey, but this is even cheaper. We will be stopping there in a few weeks on our way north now that Maryland is open.

Must be a busy street station that sells both on road and off road at those prices!!

Sells to small commercial fleet and recs....nowhere's near a highway.

Look on a map/chart.

It's on the ICW, but not like Dudlys in Swansboro.

The point I was making is that boat only fuel stations just don't have the volume to get that low - there must be street business as well.

Wonder what the NC fuel taxes are compared to FL

That place usually advertises the "no tax" price and why it is so low...I think the tax is 6 or 7 percent.

I said it wasn't near a highway....but they may still sell to cars/RVs. .....but it's not set up like a road fuel station....and I have never seen a vehicle fueling there even when I have spent the night in front of the fuel pumps.

Last edited:
The point I was making is that boat only fuel stations just don't have the volume to get that low - there must be street business as well.
Commercial fishing fleet is the answer. When you drag nets for fish and shrimp, fuel purchases are in the hundreds to thousands of gallons.

Ted

What Ted said, and added to that, the commercial guys are repeat customers over a span of many years, and must be treated with all due respect, as in “assured product”.
I’ll buy at a commercial dock over a marina dock any day!

When we stopped there in March, prices were quotes as X + 7% sales tax, i.e., not inclusive.

The price was still very good, though. And it looks like there's a shrimper fleet docked next door, so they probably sell a boatload.

Current can be a serious issue. We were able to get in OK, heading into the current, but then that made leaving a bit dicey. I was able to pivot enough, and then use enough horsepower in reverse to quickly get away and begin turning... while not being swept into the rocks just on the downstream side of their inlet for smaller boats. (We usually can't go forward as we depart docks, due to our dinghy-off-the-stern situation.)

When we were in JAX, Mandarin Holiday Marina about 14 NM south had much better prices than anyone nearby, not quite as good as New River but close.

And then Larry (I think) said they found a fueling place heading out of JAX that had equally good or better diesel prices.

-Chris

When we stopped there in March, prices were quotes as X + 7% sales tax, i.e., not inclusive.

The price was still very good, though. And it looks like there's a shrimper fleet docked next door, so they probably sell a boatload.

Current can be a serious issue. We were able to get in OK, heading into the current, but then that made leaving a bit dicey. I was able to pivot enough, and then use enough horsepower in reverse to quickly get away and begin turning... while not being swept into the rocks just on the downstream side of their inlet for smaller boats. (We usually can't go forward as we depart docks, due to our dinghy-off-the-stern situation.)

When we were in JAX, Mandarin Holiday Marina about 14 NM south had much better prices than anyone nearby, not quite as good as New River but close.

And then Larry (I think) said they found a fueling place heading out of JAX that had equally good or better diesel prices.

-Chris

Their current price is $1.05, I just did the math for you by adding in the 7% tax...... thus $1.129 or $1.13

Back
Top Bottom