Those cold nights

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FF

Guru
Folks that travel into the fall are sometimes uncomfortable during the night from an unheated boat.

Solution , Heat your bed.

120v or 12 v we have used these bed warmers for 2 decades.

Heated Mattress Pad | Bed Warmer | Made in USA

Climbing into a heated bunk is close to Paradise!

Where does it say what voltage is available? How many Watts do they draw on DC?

I expect that they are designed for 120VAC, not DC at all since they are aimed at the home/domestic market.
For wattage contact them. They may give you wattage or the amps.
Either way Then you can do your own conversion.

I know several people who have used electric blankets in their boats but all required the ability to power an inverter. They often didn't need it all night, just a darn good warm up.

The link shows 12v pads also available also I didn't see mention of power consumption.

You're right , I totally missed the 12V for Rv and such.

Heated Mattress Pad | Bed Warmer | Made in USA

Direct to the 12V stuff page page. 6.2 amps . I'll hide this from my wife.

They say 6.2 amps maximum when the Comfort Control is cycled on, then it drops to an estimated at 50% (3.1 AMPS) of maximum, but as we all know, anything that generates heat draws substantial amounts of power...;)

We have found that a half hour is all that is required to take a bunk from near freezing to nice and toasty.

6A for 1/2 hour should not kill most house batt sets , even if there are 6 cabins.

The electric sheet warms the mattress pad and blankets above it , so not only is the bunk warm , the areas next to the spot you occuoy are delightfully warm.

Slide your feet over , and its into a new warm spot ,,,,GRAND!

We started using these offshore where much of the off watch time was spent shivering in a bunk and waiting for the bunk to get warm.

Sadly the units sold years ago were 12v and 120v , today for some reason there EITHER 12V or 120V. Progress!

We have found that a half hour is all that is required to take a bunk from near freezing to nice and toasty.

6A for 1/2 hour should not kill most house batt sets , even if there are 6 cabins.

The electric sheet warms the mattress pad and blankets above it , so not only is the bunk warm , the areas next to the spot you occuoy are delightfully warm.

We started using these offshore where much of the off watch time was spent shivering in a bunk and waiting for the bunk to get warm.

Sadly the units sold years ago were 12v and 120v , today for some reason there EITHER 12V or 120V. Progress!

Thanks.

I just ordered one. We have used a heat pad like this at home for years and really is nice, as their is no need to heat up house to keep warm.
On boat, it will be even better.:dance:

RIchard

.... as their is no need to heat up house to keep warm.
RIchard
Similarly I've experienced a heated floor in a passive solar home I was considering years ago. Very surprising how the room could be kept quite a bit cooler if your bear feet were warm.

Of course I don't think this is a usable idea on a boat.

24 volts

Wonder if it could be operated on 24 volts/...or if they could build one that would??

Could half that amperage...correct?

Wonder if it could be operated on 24 volts/...or if they could build one that would??

Could half that amperage...correct?

Don't know if they make a 24v version but you are correct as far as amperage.

W=I x V

where W is watts, I is current(amps) and V is voltage:

W = 6 amps X 12 volts
W = 72 watts

so then solving for I (amps) with 24 volts you have:

72 watts = I x 24 volts or

72 watts/24 volts = I (amps) so then
I = 3 amps

This concludes our math lesson for today...:rofl:

Last edited:
I have an incredibly fast metabolism and generate immense amounts of heat. My wife feeds me a huge meal before we go to bed then snuggles in :)

I have an incredibly fast metabolism and generate immense amounts of heat. My wife feeds me a huge meal before we go to bed then snuggles in :)

Me too. If the next meteor initiated apocoliptic ice age event happens in my lifetime, I'll be one of the first to starve to death. Those who 'store' energy efficiently will last a lot longer :D

Like C lectric, I won't be sharing this idea with my wife. (Although she sometimes reads through this forum, so if you're reading this honey..okay, we'll get one...but just for your side!)

Last edited:
It was so cold on the boat last night that I was faced with a big decision.:confused: Turn off the air conditioning or pull up the down comforter. Pulled up the down comforter, and all was toasty and good again.

For those of us who were fortunate enough (?) to be raised up in the dirtscrabble Old South, the answer is obvious. Name of a pretty decent band, too. Three Dog Night!

For those of us who were fortunate enough (?) to be raised up in the dirtscrabble Old South, the answer is obvious. Name of a pretty decent band, too. Three Dog Night!

Up here some dogs are two legged (is this what you meant?) and can usually be found in bars late at night when one's visual acuity has been handicapped. Even a one dog night, much less a three dog one, can get one in a lot of trouble at home.

It has been my experience that four-legged dogs are a lot less trouble, long range, even though their food tends to be more expensive. One of the (few) good things about being an old geezer is that these things tend not be clouded by all those troublesome basic urges. :)

The admiral and I have been using the heated matress pad long before we bought the trawler. FF your right, its awesome sliding into those toasty sheets on cold nights. When we bought the boat we set the bed up the same way in the fall and winter. Only takes a half hour before bed and you are set.:thumb:

The admiral and I have been using the heated matress pad long before we bought the trawler. FF your right, its awesome sliding into those toasty sheets on cold nights. When we bought the boat we set the bed up the same way in the fall and winter. Only takes a half hour before bed and you are set.:thumb:

+1:thumb:

Ever heard of the expression "three dog night"?

Before someone started confusing 2 and 4 legged dogs, I was going to suggest all you need is a hot partner.
I have actually seen a 2 legged dog, it got about surprisingly well.
Three Dog Night was an Aussie band. Stockmen rated the coldness of the night on how many dogs were needed for comfort. There was a time the ex wife and I shared the bed with 2 German Shepherds. The dogs were warm.

Before someone started confusing 2 and 4 legged dogs, I was going to suggest all you need is a hot partner.
Three Dog Night was an Aussie band. Stockmen rated the coldness of the night on how many dogs were needed for comfort. There was a time the ex wife and I shared the bed with 2 German Shepherds. The dogs were warm.

ok, now its just getting weird.

ok, now its just getting weird.
Not weird, the dogs were ON the bed, NOT IN the bed. It`s not so unusual dogs sleep at the foot of their owners bed.

Ouch!

The dogs were warm....

Our Beagle sleeps on our bed during cool weather and under our bed when warm outside, she makes a great barometer. Makes me thankful though that both our dearly departed Golden Retriever and Yellow Lab prefered sleeping on their cedar mattress at the foot of our bed.

I think all you guys with 'dogs' in your beds are barking up the wrong tree. In our boat, we make our own heat!!

I think all you guys with 'dogs' in your beds are barking up the wrong tree. In our boat, we make our own heat!!

Isn't that what camping is all about?

232323232%7Ffp53833%3Enu%3D3363%3E33%3A%3E57%3B%3EWSNRCG%3D34823%3A%3A%3A57336nu0mrj

Last edited:
And just how do you do that? By rubbing 2 sticks together over a metal waste paper basket with tissue in it? :hide:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom