Thinking of a narrowboat in the UK

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Adopo, great looking boat. About twice the length of my and less than my beam.
Plus, it is on the wrong side of the pond.
It is a 'purpose built boat', the canals. Soooo, except on rare days, it is an 'inside the ICW boat', I would not mind owner after the ACs were installed and some to bring it the colonies.

Hmm this is Called a narrowboat but has a wide beam. I wonder where this would/could be used. Seems I recall on some of those videos the 6 ft beam boats having just enough room to pass on some tight passages and meeting other boats. But this is nice for a narrow boat.

https://www.yachtworld.com/yacht/2018-viking-wide-beam-narrow-boat-8288366/

Yep. Lovely boat, but way too wide for most UK canals. Good on the Thames, and some other river systems, but it would not fit most locks there, and certainly none of the tunnels. Ask me how I know..?

Might be ok in many of the French and German canals..?

.... I can do black tea, but warm beer…
Our last visit we found plenty of refrigerated cold beer. But it`s cold enough over there unrefrigerated doesn`t mean warm.:)

Finally I received an answer from one of the high end builders and determined why they are so slow to respond: their production is booked until 2026!

Finally I received an answer from one of the high end builders and determined why they are so slow to respond: their production is booked until 2026!

If we are really interested, guess we must consider the 'used' market over seas and deck cargo to the US.

I’ve always been intrigued with life at 3mph on narrow canals in England, Wales etc. 57’ to 62’ with a 6’10” beam! Life with a bed smaller than a queen sized.

Anyone else?

Now my question is how to split my time between British Columbia / Alaska and England.

Me too! I just did a 10 day road trip around the UK, focused largely on the waterways and narrowboats.

My plan is to do Jan-April in England wandering the canals. Then back to North America. Store ashore during the high season. Repeat.

My needs are pretty minimal, 40' and cozy for two. It all looks quite doable. Easy to put on a truck to Europe when I've bored of England's 2000 miles.

Last edited:
My interest has been tempered, and finally firmly damped, by the thought of hours of monotonous travel at 3mph down a narrow weed-lined canal, with a view of....weeds. And a view of absolutely NOTHING from inside, on those inevitable days of horrible English weather. Or a view of NOTHING from inside at night, at rest, underway, at mealtime, while lounging, while.....

Each to his/her own. Not my cup of tea.

Regards,

Pete

+1

I was going to post a similar message. It is certainly not for everyone! I have two friend couples that love their (separate) narrow canal boats and are always on the move in the UK canal system. Pubs seem to feature prominently in their social media posts. You really are 'below' the scenery in these lovely old/restored/new narrowboats so don't expect to see much while under way. Mooring usually consists of hammering in a few tent pegs for your lines. Reeds/weeds are a perennial nuisance. It's a great way to slowly traverse the English countryside, with a pub or two within walking distance of your mooring (usually) and a couple of bikes or a moped for trips into town for supplies.
~A

I’ve always been intrigued with life at 3mph on narrow canals in England, Wales etc. 57’ to 62’ with a 6’10” beam! Life with a bed smaller than a queen sized.

Anyone else?

We've done this (Avon Loop) and will certainly go back and do it again. It's an absolutely fun and relaxing way to spend some quality time enjoying the beautiful English countryside. For those that say you just see reeds and weeds... I must respectfully disagree. Nor did we ever find the water polluted.

This form of recreation is incredibly popular there and the used narrowboat market is huge. My guess is that you'll be able to find something very nice that suits your needs on the secondary market, given that builders are so backlogged.

Definitely go rent one first to check it out. Not expensive and you can choose from literally thousands of miles of canals to cruise.

Have fun!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom