Old 02-11-2018, 10:00 AM   #21
Veteran Member

City: Southampton
Mr. RT, I agree with your assessment. One open question for me is what the practical limit for length and draft would be for the Trent/Severn area. However would not want to hijack someone else's topic.
Recb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 03:35 PM   #22
Guru

City: Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by Recb View Post
Mr. RT, I agree with your assessment. One open question for me is what the practical limit for length and draft would be for the Trent/Severn area. However would not want to hijack someone else's topic.

Right, draft will likely be the limiting factor, both water and air drafts. The Erie is 8ft as I recall, and the Rideau is 5'. We just went through in a 4' draft grand banks, and got scolded once because we were supposedly supposed to alert them in advance if we were more than 4'. I missed that fine print.
Old 02-14-2018, 11:04 AM   #23

City: Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitaine R View Post
................. Of course our boat will send most of its time in South West Florida, so an A/C system and a generator will be on the list of needs because in the summer air vents won't help, they will just funnel in the no see-ums.
AC would be pretty important but I wouldn't insist on having a generator. A generator is roughly $10K and many of my friends who have generators on their boats find that they don't work because they don't get enough use.

We have AC but no genset. When it gets too hot for us to be comfortable at anchor, we take a slip in a marina and run the AC on shore power. I figure we can spend a lot of nights in marinas for $10K. And of course being in a marina gets us long hot showers as well and sometimes a pool or cable TV.
aboatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 11:36 AM   #24
Guru

City: Cypress Landing Marina (NC)
Vessel Name: Heron (2)
Vessel Model: '88 Cape Dory 28 Flybridge #115
Read this, then decide...

Tanya Binford | Crossing the Wake
Old 02-14-2018, 12:09 PM   #25
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by andBeyond View Post
Thanks Wildbill. Step 1 for me is to get a trawler and make sure my wife likes it.
Wifey B:
No, Step 1 is for you and your wife to select a boat.

Even if she says for you to do it, involve her from the start. Don't listen to "I'll be fine with whatever you select" or such.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 05:23 PM   #26
Veteran Member

City: Gulfport
Maybe this will help. John has a ton of info on the loop.

Cruising America's Great Loop

Also, Americas Great Loop Cruisers .....

Home - America's Great Loop Cruisers' Association
Plane Nauti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 08:37 PM   #27

City: St James City/Punta Gorda
Vessel Name: Charlie Noble
Vessel Model: 32 Nordic Tug
Quote:
Originally Posted by aboatman View Post
AC would be pretty important but I wouldn't insist on having a generator. A generator is roughly $10K and many of my friends who have generators on their boats find that they don't work because they don't get enough use.

We have AC but no genset. When it gets too hot for us to be comfortable at anchor, we take a slip in a marina and run the AC on shore power. I figure we can spend a lot of nights in marinas for $10K. And of course being in a marina gets us long hot showers as well and sometimes a pool or cable TV.
Yes I can see the lure of a sending the night at a marina once in a while, But for my wife and I , we will spend the money for the generator. We are not marina people. we much rather swing on the hook and enjoy the peaceful night( we know we may be in the minority ). And if the plan is to swing on the hook any night from the beginning of March to the end of October in this region of the world you will need A/C. As a matter of fact we have our A/C on in the house tonight. It was 86 degrees here today. We are looking at Nordics and since they are mostly Northern boats many of them have heaters but no A/C.
Capitaine R is offline   Reply With Quote