Old 07-02-2022, 04:01 PM   #41

City: Lottsburg, VA
Vessel Name: Phoenix
Vessel Model: Defever/34' Passagemaker/Built 1974
34 foot defever easy to single hand. Just posted mine for sale.
Phoenix34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 04:14 PM   #42
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix34 View Post
34 foot defever easy to single hand. Just posted mine for sale.
I looked in TF for sale link... don't see it??
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 07:07 PM   #43
TF Site Team

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Actually there is. For USCG documented boats, it's clear. It's LOA including any extensions.
Not for my documented Mainship 34HT. Listed as 34.8 length.
LOA is about 39.5 with swim (bolted) & anchor (molded) platforms.
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 07:34 PM   #44
Guru

City: Stratford, CT
Vessel Name: Blue Moon
Vessel Model: Mainship Pilot 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartouche View Post
Back Cove 32 would fit that bill nicely
Or a Mainship Pilot for much less $$$. My 2 cents regarding the dinghy (that's all any opinion is worth). My boat is not set up to carry a dinghy. It could be but I prefer not to. At anchor, it is nice to get off the boat and walk the beach or cruise the harbor. I use a roll-up inflateable as I have on previous boats. A little work to set up and put away, but once you get a system in place it's very doable. It's not meant as a serious dinghy to carry lots of people or supplies in rough conditions or at fast speeds. But to get to shore when anchored, it works fine and stores in a dock box and takes up little room on board. Another option I use is to carry a kayak, depending on what I am planning.
Old 07-03-2022, 05:25 AM   #45
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Ranger
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
Quote:
Originally Posted by backinblue View Post
Or a Mainship Pilot for much less $$$. My 2 cents regarding the dinghy (that's all any opinion is worth). My boat is not set up to carry a dinghy. It could be but I prefer not to.

We had a previous boat somewhat like yours, and we often carried our inflatable (of that time period) usually upside down on the hardtop. It was a roll-up floor inflatable, and one with an air floor would have been easier...

It wasn't too difficult to slide it up there. Of course that meant mounting/dismounting the outboard every time, etc...

But otherwise it worked well enough.

-Chris
Old 07-03-2022, 11:21 AM   #46
Guru

City: Stratford, CT
Vessel Name: Blue Moon
Vessel Model: Mainship Pilot 355
Depeding on how you carry the dinghy, mounting and unmounting the motor may be required regardless. If that's the case, it's another advantage of a small electric that comes apart into a 20 lb battery and a 20 lb motor.
Old 07-03-2022, 03:51 PM   #47

City: Fayetteville, NC
Vessel Name: Dirty Deeds
Vessel Model: Maritimo 48
I like the Albin 32+2 Command Bridge in that size range. Better visibility than an inside helm but not as high as a traditional flybridge, so it's easier to single-hand. Seems to meet most of your criteria.

https://www.edwardsyachtsales.com/bo...d-bridge/1686/
ABfish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 06:54 PM   #48
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABfish View Post
I like the Albin 32+2 Command Bridge in that size range. Better visibility than an inside helm but not as high as a traditional flybridge, so it's easier to single-hand. Seems to meet most of your criteria.

https://www.edwardsyachtsales.com/bo...d-bridge/1686/
Great boat for a single handler. Couple would be cozy... but OK too. Nice power range. Good size tankage [of all sorts]. Also, good cruise and/or WOT speeds. Wonder the nmpg realized at stated 18 knot cruise?
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 01:18 PM   #49

City: Southport
Vessel Name: Maravida
Vessel Model: Grand Banks Eastbay 43 FB
43 Grand Banks Eastbay as a option

We lived on our 48’ Kadey Krogen Whaleback but when we bought a house we decided to purchase a smaller boat for similar reasons you stated. We like the GB as it’s very maneuverable and has twin 440 yanmars so efficient and fast. It came with the dingy davits shown here and we like the convenience of having the dingy out of the water but quick to use
Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 01:26 PM   #50
Veteran Member

City: Daytona Beach
Vessel Name: Stardust
Vessel Model: Wilbur 34
In my situation, I went from a 44' sail to a 34' trawler... too old to any longer handle the big sails. I singlehand 99% of the time. Have no bow thruster. Do have a single 375hp Cat engine that I usually run at 1200 rpm for a speed of roughly 7 knots. Fuel burn: 2 gph.

Stardust, a Wilbur 34, is a great boat and perfect for one old man to handle. Considered a bow thruster but thought I'd first try learning to get along without. It took a bit of practice but, from what I've seen, I do better than a lot of folks who are using thrusters and otherwise don't have a clue about boat handling.

Don't need nor want anything larger... even if I had a girlfriend.

Good luck in finding what you're looking for.
seighlor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 01:26 PM   #51

City: Friday Harbor, WA
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 31 TE 2004
Hello Max. A few years ago, I found a well maintained Albin 31 Tournament Express … I think this boat would check all of your boxes. They are not common, but they are out there. I have twin Yanmars, but the single configuration was also popular. There are many more of the 28’s, but the difference in interior volume made by two additional feet of beam is quite surprising. By now these boats have probably realized most of their depreciation potential, resale would be easy as they are quite sought after. If you are near Everett I would be happy to have you aboard to take a look. Good luck in your search.
Mark Laurnen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 03:18 PM   #52
ljk

City: Fort Myers FL
Vessel Name: Hobie Kayak
Vessel Model: Passport 12.0, 34 Mainship Pilot, Mako 24,32 Regal Commodore, PT-41 Trawler, 33 Chris Craft Cavalier
Glacier Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Mr. MS. We're in the same boat (situation), sorta. Our boating style/needs have changed so we've sold the "trawler" and are now looking to downsize for a somewhat different reason. I expect there will be two of us the majority of the time so solo docking is not so much of an issue and we don't anticipate needing a dinghy.

Mr. ks. makes a valid point regarding practice IF solo docking is the sole reason for a change BUT as mentioned by Mr B., it sounds like THAT is not the main reason for downsizing.

In OUR case, we would like to do more day cruising. Running the canals in Ft. Lauderdale (sightseeing), nearshore ocean fishing and potential weekend trips. Nice to be able to run over to the Bahamas for a quickie getaway or down to the Keys where speed will help. Add to that the ability to just hop on and go. It took a good 15 minutes+ to prep our Cheoy Lee for departure AND 1hr+ to shut down and close up.

We've looked at a wide variety of options from Whalers to Downeast styles. A few models are the Albin TE (Tournament Express) series in the 27' to 32' range, Mainship Pilot, Cutwater, Judge, Parker, Sisu, Cape Dory, Back Cove and a bunch I can't remember the names of. Unfortunately, the majority are just a bit too slow at cruise. I would like to run above 20 knots. NOT necessarily going to do that all the time but would still like the ability.

Currently, I am seriously looking at power catamarans and in the above size range all are outboard powered with the inherent higher fuel usage (compared to diesel). Like EVERY boat it will be a compromise, I'm sure.

Happy hunting...

There is one of these for sale in California https://www.yachtworld.com/yacht/200...unner-8276507/ Looks REALLY good on paper and if she was anywhere on the east coast, we'd buy her!

Some guy on YouTube named Tortugas steve just did the great loop in 28 days in one of these. Check out his videos!
ljk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 04:45 PM   #53
Veteran Member

City: Rapid River
Vessel Name: Project
Vessel Model: SeaCamper 1973
We were at 37' and rarely used parts of her, like the forward cabin, even the salon. We liked the 37' sundeck features but not the size, primarily because of windage and docking.

We had a lower helm side door, but no aft visibility, other than a rear facing camera, which helped. Single handing was doable in calm winds, but questionable otherwise.

Our next cruising boat will be a trailerable pocket trawler: Rosborough, Ranger Tug, C-Dory, Cutwater or the like.
Bob M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 07:32 PM   #54
hgd
Veteran Member

City: Naples
Vessel Name: KIWI
Vessel Model: Seapiper35
Suggestion

Look into a Seapiper 35. It’s a big small boat. It might be what you are looking for. Not fast but all the features and comforts for two of a large boat in a small manageable package.
hgd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 09:37 PM   #55

City: Marysville
Same solo cruising situation

Hi - I'm kinda in the same situation with solo cruising half the time or more. I owned a 43' PH trawler when my wife was with me but being widowed now I mostly travel alone. Sold that and bought a 29' Ranger Tug. Nice boat but just too narrow and crowded for me and especially if I take someone else with me. Am in the process of purchasing a 36' North Pacific sedan that has side doors and thrusters. Likely will add remote thruster handheld control in cases where the currents/winds move the boat too fast. With the sedan I can see everything while backing into a slip, something I could not do in my P/H. Also, getting off on side is critical to me when alone instead of going from helm to aft swim step. I agree on the weight issue - the lighter Ranger bounces more in 3' seas. Last, a little larger boat makes the maintenance access a lot easier. Oh, anchoring alone with the Ranger wasn't as easy as a boat with side door either. Good Luck
Captain T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 01:10 PM   #56
Guru

Thanks, Hippocampus! I also have the 42 Nordic Tug, which measures out at a hair less than 52 feet LOA. However, it never occurred to me to check the draft…. I will do that next time the boat is hauled!
Spinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 04:22 PM   #57
Guru

City: Everett, WA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 38'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartouche View Post
Back Cove 32 would fit that bill nicely
Yes indeed, as well as Sabre 34.
Max Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 06:35 PM   #58
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116 2008
LOL
Let's be honest with each other .... It will be difficult to impossible to find a well kept used mid 30ft boat at an acceptable price. Same can be said for a lower 40ft boat.
Now we just need to define "acceptable price".
Yes, you can order a new boat with all the current whistles and bells but, I suspect, no one wants to wait 2-3 years. Perhaps that explains why the used boat market is so hot.
Old 07-07-2022, 02:25 AM   #59

City: Seattle
Vessel Model: 2006 Nordic Tug 32
It is possible to find a used, well kept boat. We are under contract for a Nordic tug 32 that just surveyed well. It likely comes down to an “acceptable price” which is going to be subjective and boat specific and determined by the current market.
huruta is offline   Reply With Quote