Old 10-17-2022, 06:24 PM   #21
Guru

City: Southwest MI
Vessel Name: Sobelle
Vessel Model: C-Dory 22 Cruiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjtemplin View Post
When I worked IT at a hospital, they were very strong on the statement of "Trust but verify". Trust the manual and literature as much as you want, but I encourage you to verify this claim yourself, and with each new drone you get, as well as any new firmware updates for said drone(s).
RTH is usually the launch point. Some drones have a setting that allows the RTH point to be the controller. Sometimes you have to manually update the RTH point as the controller moves.

Read your drone's instructions.
ssobol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2022, 07:22 PM   #22
Guru

City: Looking
Vessel Name: --
Vessel Model: Between boats
Really enjoyed having a drone on our boat for the previous 4 years. Would do it again in a heartbeat.

I am far – VERY FAR – from an expert. I have just made lots of attempts and lots of mistakes. My opinion is the waterproof-ness is a) not needed, and b) gives up a *LOT* of valuable features/quality by a company that has decided to go that route vs. some of the other mainstream manufacturers.

Four years ago, I started with the DJI Spark It was a good compromise between the studio quality $2500 craft, and something I wouldn't commit suicide over if I dropped it in the water (have done that once already - drone #1 is at the bottom of the Neuse River now........). It does/did quite a good job for what it cost. Alas, the Spark is no longer being made, but you can still find some for sale at some retail outlets and ebay. The main drawback to the Spark is that the flying time is realistically (on a boat) only about 8 minutes or so. The tradeoff is weight and extreme portability.

The primary driver for the model I chose is a feature called “active track”. It allows the drone to track the boat in one of several modes without you having to “fly along”.

There are other intelligent video modes and automated cinematic clips that are just fantastic. There is already enough to worry about with the current battery level, GPS signal strength, return to home location on a moving bat, remote control data link strength, sunlight on the phone screen, and 50 other things -------- that these automatic modes are a real treat. It really taxes my pea brain just to keep track of everything while flying - even more so when moving the boat.

There are two modes of active tracking using image recognition that I use the most. You can find a lot of reviews, explanations, and tutorials on this, and the Spark in general on Youtube. Watch as many of these as you can.

I have since upgraded to the DJI Mavic Air 2. This model has a whopping 25 minute flying time – for not much increase in size or weight. This is the lowest price point that is still in production that includes the active track features. If those are not important to you, then the DJI Mavic Mini (no active track) is the current best-bang-for-the-buck model. This model also now uses the controller as the RTH point, rather than having to keep resetting it manually along your filming journey on the boat. Easy-peasy.

DJI is hands down the most stable, best and shortest learning curve software to get started on because of the HUGE user base and a plethora of forums, youtube instructional videos, and FAQs on the internet. For same-feature comparison, I would guess the DJI models are a 20% premium. I wouldn't buy any other brand, regardless of price level – there are just too many things that can go wrong.

I have used several different video editors - all free. The current one I am using is OpenShot running on Windows. Seems to do most everything I need it to with little effort. Nothing's perfect - you have to trade off a decade-long learning curve vs. what will be "good enough".

Watch lots of YouTube videos on the models and features you are considering – they are very helpful.

Below are some of our videos with both the Spark and the Mavic Air 2.

------
https://youtu.be/wYPPd2SMcAc - Tennessee River and Tombigbee Waterways
- Les Cheneaux Islands
- Mackinac Island
- Erie Canal Culvert Overpass
- Erie Canal Lock 12
- Chesapeake Bay
- Dismal Swamp
- Angelfish Creek
- Everglades
- Boca Chita Key
- Pine Island Anchorage
- St. John's River
- Coosaw River
- Waccamaw River
- Bird Island Anchorage
m/v SCOUT Projects Page
boathealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2022, 02:52 PM   #23

City: MCKINNEY
Clarifying drone license and registration

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comodave View Post
I did not think that getting a license was a big deal, or am I wrong and it is a big deal?
There is no license for a drone in the US. If your drone is over .55 pounds you need to register it with the FAA, it costs $5 and is pretty easy to do here https://faadronezone-access.faa.gov/#/

Where things get tricky is if you intend to monetize flying the drone in any way, including putting the videos on youtube. Even if you aren't currently trying to make money off the video now, if you ever do, you are in violation.

To monetize drones by flying or creating video/pictures you need to get what is called a part 107. This involves taking a FAA test that is about 70% of what you need to know to pilot a plane. Once you pass the test you need to do an update every 2 years, but the update tests are pretty easy. With a part 107 you can fly the drone for commercial purposes.

In both cases (recreational and commercial), you need to keep the drone under 400 feet and out of restricted areas. There is an FAA app called Be4ufly that will let you know if the area is restricted. You can fly in a restricted area but you have to get an FAA waiver first. I have done a few of these, one took a week, another tool months.

I am happy to talk more about drones. Feel free to PM me if you want more info.
nmcafee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2022, 04:24 PM   #24
Guru

City: Queensland
Vessel Model: Milkraft 60 converted timber prawn trawler
I could see it being like a camera to me

Flurry of activity for the first year of two but how many more pictures of the boat, sunsets and whales do I need?

And for that reason I have gone off the idea (again) for a while

But if they ever bought one out that could do georeferenced images that I could manipulate on OpenCPN I'd be on it.
Old 10-21-2022, 12:45 PM   #25

City: Sausalito
Vessel Name: Stress Less
Vessel Model: Californian 34 LRC
FAA License is for commercial use only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comodave View Post
But the license is a matter of drone size, correct?

If you are flying recreationally, you do not need a drone license. You should be fine as long as you don't fly over people and stay under 400 feet. That said, it's not a bad idea (to get the FAA license) cuz it might become a nice side hustle.
scope1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2022, 01:05 PM   #26

City: Charleston
As a long time "drone" pilot (i.e. remote) I highly recommend the DJI line. The Mavic pros are especially great. I have not crashed one in many years as their obstacle avoidance seems to work pretty well. I have used mine on the boat a fair bit... no issues. That said, I have not dunked one!

As for licensing, it really is a pretty easy hoop to jump to get the remote pilot certification but is not needed for the mini Mavic as best I can tell. Most folks with the Mavic pros who use them for recreational flying don't bother to get the certification. If you are a pro, that is a different matter.
Goingplaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2022, 01:49 PM   #27

City: Brentwood Bay, BC
Vessel Name: Golden Dawn
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
I would recommend getting a Mavic Mini - not very expensive, no license required and great features. Practice on land first. Learn how to hand catch. Join the Mavic Forum and you will learn A LOT - almost all crashes are pilot error. It is going to be edgy - no doubt about that . . . but so is boating. If you like the drone you can move up.

I have a Mavic Air and surprisingly have not lost it yet after 2 years flying off the boat. Learning to hand catch has helped a lot. The images/video are incredible and are unlike any you will get from the boat. Mambo42 has some great suggestions.
Old 10-21-2022, 01:52 PM   #28
Guru

City: Newport, R.I.
Vessel Name: Hippocampus
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 42
Find drones intrusive. A noise interrupting a peaceful quiet day at anchor. The ladies sunbathing to get rid of tan lines don’t like them either. See no need for kicks and giggles with such a device. Know I’m being cantankerous but value privacy.
Have no issue with them if used with respect for other people. Unfortunately that’s all to often not the case.
Hippocampus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2022, 02:02 PM   #29

City: Brentwood Bay, BC
Vessel Name: Golden Dawn
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Hippocampus - I agree. I fortunately have a lot of remote anchorages to work with and not too much tanning going on in the Pacific NW. When we do have other neighbors, I have gone over to their boat, explained what I am doing and asked permission to fly. No one has ever refused, but if they do, no problem. I don't fly in marine parks period.
Old 10-21-2022, 02:25 PM   #30

City: Beaufort, SC
Vessel Name: TAMI II
Vessel Model: Tollycraft, 44 CPMY
Agree with the DJI Mavic Mini suggestions.

I started with several cheaper drone options because I figured I would crash and burn them - and did. I think they were all a waste of money.

The DJI Mavic Mini is out of the box intuitive. I don't think I used any of the skills I may have learned from the previous drones other than to be careful.

I'd be skeptical of what "waterproof" really means in salt water for an electrical device.

Also, even if your boat is in a nonrestricted area, it's easy to fly into a restricted area nearby. The DJI software can show you a map of any nearby restrictions before takeoff.
ORIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2022, 03:22 PM   #31

City: Barrington
Vessel Name: Katy Leigh
Vessel Model: 1981 Grand Banks Classic
I've lost three drones in the water. I would definitely go for a waterproof drone like that one.
KatyLeigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2022, 05:39 PM   #32
Veteran Member

City: shelter island
I bought a Swellpro splash drone 4. Swellpro is a terribly engineer piece of garbage. I wasted $3000 to fly it an hour before the camera was damaged by salt water. They are marketed as waterproof but are pure chinese crap. Buy anything else, but don’t waste money on a Swellpro. Research reviews. It won’t take long.
captjohn7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2022, 09:27 PM   #33

After hearing Capt John, I change my suggestion. I would go with something like a DJI Mavic Mini like others have suggested. Flying over water does involve risk, but you can lose a DJI Mavic Mini in the water, and replace it with refurbished model (without the battery or rotor blades) for about $300. And you would still be way ahead of spending $3,000. I did that twice. Lost two drones in the water, each my fault. But I replaced them both with $300 refurbished bodies and I was back in business. I already had the controller, my extra batteries and rotor blades. It really wasn't that big a deal. Food for thought
Old 10-24-2022, 12:36 PM   #34
Veteran Member

City: Alamitos Bay Marina
Vessel Name: DESTINY
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4588 Extend Hull & Hard Top
Kevin, that is drone I have been considering as well, and have not pull trigger on it, I still thing for a bigger, on boat that is choice I am going to go with, love the waterproof controller as well as return to controller featers. I have many drones go for swim, a few during Cubar that were operated by profession videographer, he said that is why is travels with at least 3. Just my two cents...the only hold back for me is size as it would be nice to have smaller package. Also, I am unclear what is required in Mexico or if you really need to be worried about it if your use is in remote areas, which is what my thoughts are (ie checking out beaches and coves without having go into with boat or tender
mdstrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2022, 01:23 PM   #35

To answer some questions/comments various people have been asking:
1. Don't confuse drone registration with drone pilot licensing. All drones, except the smallest drones that weigh .55 oz or less, need to be registered with the FAA.

2. "Drone Pilot Licensing" refers to whether the pilot him/herself needs to be licensed under FAA regulations, known as "Part 107" regulations. Part 107 has to do with what you are using your drone for. And the question of what you are using your drone for is irrespective of size/weight of the drone and whether it is registered with the FAA. If you are going to use your drone purely for "recreational" (having fun) purposes, then no license is necessary. However if you are going to use your drone for any commercial purposes, paid or unpaid (using your footage on your YouTube videos is considered to be commercial) the pilot needs to be certified by the FAA under Part 107. And passing the Part 107 test is not easy. If you get caught flying your drone for commercial purposes (remember Youtube) without this license, you could face some pretty hefty fines from the FAA.

3. Flying in restricted air space and is flying over water unrestricted?. You can fly in certain restricted air space if you have advanced permission by the FAA. You can achieve that permission electronically via an app on you phone. You should not assume that flying over water is unrestricted air space. Every pilot (licensed or recreational) is required to know whether they are flying in restricted or unrestricted air space. Getting caught flying in restricted air space can be pretty serious thing and can result in hefty fines. But as a practical matter, the geo fencing features built into most drones won't even allow you to fly in restricted airspace anyway (particularly DJI drones). It is built into the drone software, and won't allow you to take off in a restricted area, or won't allow you to fly into restricted air space. Many airports are at or near the water and the approaches to those airports are restricted air space. Never assume that flying over water is unrestricted.

4. Flying over water and the need for a waterproof drone. The problem with wanting a waterproof drone has more to do with cost and drone quality. My understanding is that drones that are marketed as waterproof may not be good quality and they can be very expensive (upwards of $3,000 +). So you need to be smart and you should do the math. It may be more cost effective to buy a good quality drone for a fraction of the cost of a waterproof one, and then take the risks associated with flying that drone over water or off a boat. Mitigate those risks by understanding "return to home" functions, especially from a moving boat. And don't attempt to launch or retrieve a drone from a moving boat. Always stop the boat before launching or retrieving it. Then if the worst happens, and the drone falls into the water (it has happened to me 3 times), then write it off as a cost of the hobby, but then replace the body of the drone with the body-only version for about $300. You already have spare propellers, batteries and you have the drone controller and accessories, so all you need to replace is the body. Again do the math. And finally, don't be fooled into buying drone insurance. Drone insurance requires you to return the drone to the manufacturer in order to file a claim for replacement. That is impossible if the drone is in 50 feet of water.

All food for thought.
Old 10-26-2022, 08:20 AM   #36

Very Sorry

In my previous comment I said that drone registration is required for drones that weigh .55 oz. It should be .55 lbs or less (250 grams). Very sorry about that.

Drone registration requirements can be found at https://www.faa.gov/uas/getting_started/register_drone