Old 02-17-2019, 06:56 AM   #21
Guru

City: AICW
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delfin View Post
Not sure what the alternative to private business building this stuff would be, since every weapons system we've deployed since the 18th century has been built by private enterprise.

The Deepwater project was a cock up because the Coast Guard lacked the personnel, expertise and time to review, understand, and approve any design tweaks from what they initially approved. This made it possible for bad design, corruption, etc. to screw the program up.

A good book I just finished on how private enterprise made winning WW2 possible is "Freedom's Forge". Once the government got out of the way, companies like GM, Ford, etc. started pumping out so much war material that Japan and Germany were doomed. I believe the record Kaiser set for getting a liberty ship from drawing board to water was just over 4 days. NYC is still trying to finish the 911 memorial.

So you consider the Navy and USCG yard builds still commercial?

Comparing industry today to the WWII period is completely off my scale. I see it every day in the private businesses I work for. Heck, two of my old bosses hired a disproportional number of retired Coasties....because their work ethic and most things clearly exceeded his usual labor pool.

And that lack of personnel/with experience is exactly why the Deepwater project was created....because the USCG was tired of being accused of incompetence. Not sure total blowback goes on the USCG.

psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 11:02 AM   #22
Grand Vizier

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
So you consider the Navy and USCG yard builds still commercial?

Comparing industry today to the WWII period is completely off my scale. I see it every day in the private businesses I work for. Heck, two of my old bosses hired a disproportional number of retired Coasties....because their work ethic and most things clearly exceeded his usual labor pool.

And that lack of personnel/with experience is exactly why the Deepwater project was created....because the USCG was tired of being accused of incompetence. Not sure total blowback goes on the USCG.
You're quite right, and I was wrong - the Yards are Navy or USCG run, but with a great deal of the work done by a great many subs, but I over stated the case.

Deepwater, from what I've read, sounds like an equal opportunity cock up. I was reacting to what I thought was your suggestion that private enterprise was the culprit in that boondoggle, and I don't think that is the case.

Delfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 03:09 PM   #23
Guru

City: AICW
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Not so sure private wasn't the biggest drawback in Deepwater and thankfully it was ONLY Deepwater that was set in motion. The USCG had much boroader plans for the same model in other aspects of the USCG......I sat in on a lot of early meetings and was even courted by Cessna Aircraft for thinking outside the box...and that was their job.

Nope.... I have EXACTLY the same respect for governments and private industry.

Neither has proven the better to me in my lifetime. Hghs and lows on both sides of that seesaw as far as I am concerned....and I had near 20 years on both sides of the fence....with experience in procurement, contracting and operations in both. Doesn't make me an expert, but .....

psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote