Thermal binocs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rgano

Guru
Vessel Name
FROLIC
Vessel Make
Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
The wife of the trawler owner across the bayou wants my advice on a very fine set of thermal imaging binoculars for his birthday, and I do not have a clue. Any thoughts here? I think the majority of its use will be ashore; so really high magnification might not be the best idea.

And late breaking is that she also wants a nice strong pair for daylight viewing, and I told her that I thought she'd have to buy a second set for that, and she's OK with it. Budget is several thousands of dollars.

Last edited:
Unless the binocs are image stabilized, higher magnification's over 8 are never a good idea, especially on a boat. There's a reason the classic marine binocs are 7 X 50.

Are both sets for exclusively boating use? Or what?

[QUOd isTE=Inbreaker;1010675]Are both sets for exclusively boating use? Or what?[/QUOTE]

Yep, stabilized is definitely on the list of needs. We may even get him a tripod for land use.

[QUOd isTE=Inbreaker;1010675]Are both sets for exclusively boating use? Or what?

Yep, stabilized is definitely on the list of needs. We may even get him a tripod for land use.[/QUOTE]Is hs or she the kinda bloke or blokette who would use a buit in compass for plotting or rangefinding? IF so, some cadillac version of fhe Steiner.
When is my birthday?

I think light boating use and heavier land use.

Have never used thermal binoculars but I absolutely love my stabilized Nikons binoculars. My wife at first said they were too heavy and to complex. After she used them for a full day cruising she never wanted to use the regular 7X50s again.

I know not much of anything about the night vision particularly...
but generally I'll say this....especially re. the standard optical binocs....seems like this question depends greatly on the intended application. i know you said land use....
but I'd imagine the idea set would be very different depending on things such as
low light vs bright daylight
looking at moving things...birds, etc... vs spotting stationary stuff
long distance or short
looking at stars
etc...

I will forward on the Nikon stabs. She NOW tells me she has "spilt the beans" to her husband about this gift so I will be skipping the intermediary and talking directly to the end user. :) It looks like he may be in need of day binocs in the ten-plus magnification range, likely stabilized, as well a true blackout night vision in which case I am going to tell him IR/thermal imaging in the sub-$10K range would be best. I have looked out across a field at night through a $7K thermal imagine rifle scope and found it astounding - he may be wanting one of those too. Must be nice that she is bound and determined that he have all this stuff!

Check out the leica 10 x42, noctavision. Small, light, sensational optics.
Nice pair of steiner commanders or good nikons, and a night scope for absolute dark.

Back
Top Bottom