Is there a proper horn salute for,,,,

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There is really only one to rally to use , but I don’t know if it’s achievable with your boat horn but maybe your stereo ? and finish with three long blasts of your horn in respect…….. Really nice gesture your doing, got to love the old saltys hope to be one myself one day if the wind blows the right way ??

https://youtu.be/P-D3adT1MVY

We live in Russell in the Bay Of Islands NZ where access is by car ferry. When a local passes the Ferries do a series of 360 degree turns as the body is taken for service a very emotional response to the passing of a friend as we are all friends

I don't believe there is one that is appropriate...that said whistle signals are generally a free for all. I did see a youtube where Great Lake freighters use prolong/2 short as a salute, but not familiar with it being used that way.

In restricted vis, 1 prolong and 2 short is usually sailing vessel, NUC, or RAM fog signal.
That sounds appropriate as the Old Boy is Not Under Command (NUC) any longer.

Well how does this sound as a final salute. I will pull up facing the front of his house. Start with one prolonged blast turn the boat to port and do 360 turn at idle. each time the bell is facing shore ding ding. Three turns six bells and one final long blast. Yes? No? Maybe?

I will pull up facing the front of his house. Start with one prolonged blast turn the boat to port and do 360 turn at idle. each time the bell is facing shore ding ding. Three turns six bells and one final long blast.

Too busy and someone ashore is sure to call the local mental health line.
Less is more.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom