Therapy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
KJ wrote:

Marin wrote:
No, doesn't count.* It's south of the Oregon border.* Our boat spent it's whole life in San Francisco Bay until we liberated it in 1998.* To this day every time we get on the boat it thanks us profusely for taking it out of that hell-hole.* It's becoming embarrassing.
There are some members of this forum that live in the San Francisco Bay area.* I think you owe them an apology.* No one is showing such disrespect for your living area.* I'm sure these folks are quite happy and proud of where they live.* It's seems like you have to debate every topic that comes up and find someway to put a negative spin on it. It gets old real fast.* The San Francisco Bay area has some very beautiful places. I don't think you have the right to call someones else's residence a "hell-hole".

Thanks for sticking up for us KJ but since it was Marin that said it I took it with a big grain of salt.* I take him for quite the joker.* Remember that post about the invisible seagull diapers?* Anyway, to each his own.*

RHProp

To me the question is less why do love Belize*but why did you flee the US. No answer required, but with*several friends who live in Belize full and part time, they all have a story.*

Mexico or Honduras as a better choice - you are intrepid!

KJ wrote:

There are some members of this forum that live in the San Francisco Bay area.* I think you owe them an apology......The San Francisco Bay area has some very beautiful places. I don't think you have the right to call someones else's residence a "hell-hole".

I don't owe anybody anything.* I'm from the Bay area originally.* Sausalito was my home town until we moved to Hawaii.**

Don't fall into the trap of "I read it on the internet so it must be true."* Things aren't always as literal as you might think.

Hiya,
** Mr. BB.* NICE spot.* You're south of the airport and the old graveyard then.* Nope, not Belize city.* Too close to Rhaoul's World Famous Rose Garden and Whorehouse for my strict Christian morals.

No, I am in Hopkins which actually has very little violent crime but does have it's share of drug use and property crime.

I think that if you will check the statistics for 2010, you will find that you have a far better chance of being the victim of violent crime in Caulker/San Pedro than you would have in Mexico. You just hear about the drug war related crimes in Mexico which are mainly along the border but it is getting pretty wide spread in Belize especially in the major tourist areas such as San Pedro and Placencia.

I did not flee the US and given the choice of an overall standard of living, there is no comparison. BTW there is no escaping US taxes even if revenue comes from Belize.

RT Firefly wrote:Too close to Rhaoul's World Famous Rose Garden and Whorehouse for my strict Christian morals.
nerd.gif
jawdrop.gif
floating.gif

Ya know I don't see any difference between living where it is hot and where it is cold.

If it is hot you have to stay indoors with the AC going just to survive.

If it 's cold you have to stay indoors with the heat on just to survive.

The only difference to me is. You can always put on enough clothes to stay warm but you can't take off enough to stay cool.

I think I'll stay in Alaska.

A warm fire with the moon shining off the snow.**A hot toddy, Good friends,**Ahh !!! lifes good,

SD

skipperdude wrote:

Ya know I don't see any difference between living where it is hot and where it is cold.

If it is hot you have to stay indoors with the AC going just to survive.

If it 's cold you have to stay indoors with the heat on just to survive.

The only difference to me is. You can always put on enough clothes to stay warm but you can't take off enough to stay cool.

I think I'll stay in Alaska.

A warm fire with the moon shining off the snow.**A hot toddy, Good friends,**Ahh !!! lifes good,

SD
Personally, I find that there is a larger number of comfortable outdoor days in the Pacific NW than there is in the Gulf states. In the south, I find myself running for the airconditioning. Actually, I find myself walking very slowly to an air conditioned bar.

Sounds like everybody is where they want to be except* rhprop, . For me ,like I said the only way I want to see ice is floating in rum, but Im just an old Fla. Cracker that went South.BB

belizebill wrote:...*the only way I want to see ice is floating in rum...
I'm gonna have to go with Bill on this one.* I have lived in CA, OH, VA, TN and NC (including in the snowy mountains) and I'd WAY rather be hot than cold.*

Not to agree with Marin that the SF Bay is a hell hole
wink.gif
*but I look forward to the day I move somewhere that actually gets HOT!* I'd post some pictures we've taken while boating around the bay but they aren't going to get anyone excited as they are kind of grey.*

This photo is from my yacht club's Delta Cruise last year.* This is a friend jumping off a houseboat.* She is blind but that doesn't stop her from cruising with her husband and son and having a blast.

Attachments

• lynda houseboat.jpg
    lynda houseboat.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 71
Pineapple Girl, thanks.* I loved that shot.* The lady has allot of spunk and courage.* I marvel at people like that.* Her family is lucky to have her.* Of course, they are to be admired too.

skipperdude wrote:

*You can always put on enough clothes to stay warm but you can't take off enough to stay cool.
I been saying that since the day we moved to Hawaii in 1955.* Absolutely right on the money.

Bill

I never said that I was not where I wanted to be. If you will look at my avatar, that is the view from my bed, and there are few places in the world that would let me enjoy the diversity that is available in Belize. I am just for-warning willy that Belize is not the paradise that some internet sites would have you believe and to not sell short other destinations in Central America. Belize is expensive and *violent crime is on the rise in Belize and per capita is much greater than in some of the other areas.

Interesting comments on Belize. We've been down there a couple of times, always out on the Cayes. Charted a sailboat for a week and saw the most beautiful places and sea life. We also just got back from a week in Mazatlan, which my wife and I decided, makes Belize look even better. We were thinking about going to Belize again next year and taking our two children (pre-teens). Trying a resort in San Pedro, or nearby. One of the reasons we liked Belize is that the people we met were very friendly and we generally felt safe wherever we went. I'd take a Belikin over Corona any day.

Max

Going to Belize on a vacation and living here are quite different. I even like to go to Manhattan for a few days but living there is something else.

Most people do like Belikin at first but when you want a change and realize that Belikin is a monopoly in Belize and a lager is more to your taste it gets a bit old. Even the locals here prefer the smuggled-in Mexican, Guatemalan and Honduran beer and it is sometimes cheaper than the Belikin. Belikin is also more expensive in Belize than many imported beers are in the US.

If you only went to the cayes, then you never really saw Belize or it's people. If your children enjoy the outdoor adventures, you might consider mainland destinations such as Placencia and Hopkins. Here you are central to everything including reefs, jungle, jungle rivers, mountains, ruins, lagoons, wildlife, cave tubing, the finest beaches in Belize and real Belizeans. The " Adventure Resorts " such as Hamanasi, Jaguar Reef, Roberts Grove and others *put most *attractions within half day trips.

If you want to just experience the reef, diving and real beaches without trolling the San Pedro souvenir shops and drug dealers *then Thatch Caye, Coco Plum Caye and Southwater Caye are attractive destinations.

If you want to charter, The Moorings have moved their operation from Placencia Village to the Roberts Grove Marina on the lagoon side. They have some beautiful cats and there are some beautiful sailing waters in southern Belize.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom