Old 10-20-2010, 08:41 PM   #1

Thanks for the great advice

Hi all,I wanted to give a quick thanks to this forum for the great advice. This is by far the friendliest boat forum online and the advice is great.
After a few posts and pms from you I've decided that a trawler is probably not the best fit for me for now and we have decided to go with a re-done Uniflite Mega 28' (pending a marine and engine survey).
I will continue to live my trawler dreams vicariously through the forum until such a vessel fits my life.
Aaron
aaronupnorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 05:24 AM   #2
Guru

City: Atlanta
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4550 Pilothouse
RE: Thanks for the great advice

I have to agree- this forum is a gold mine!!! We just bought our trawler about 8 weeks ago and this site has been a tremendously helpful resource!
Sounds like it assisted you as well in picking the right boat and it doesn't matter if it's a trawler or a go fast or whatever it is- the important thing is getting to be out on the water with family and friends enjoying life!
Woodsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 08:27 AM   #3
Guru

City: Whittier AK
Vessel Name: Apache II
Vessel Model: 1974 Donald Jones

Speaking for the forum.

*Not a problem. Leave a quarter by the phone.
Y'all come back now ya hear.* Or just stick around. *lots of time.

SD
skipperdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 08:54 AM   #4
Guru

I agree Aaron this forum is priceless. It's the first place I go to for advice and has always been right on.
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 08:07 AM   #5

City: Merritt Island,Fl
Vessel Name: Sue Marie
Vessel Model: Prarie 29

Good luck on your purchase. I am in the process of selling my 28' Uniflyte Salty Dog,which I have owned since 1988. They are well built boats and excellent sea boats.

John
Sortie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 02:11 PM   #6

Hi all, I put a pic of my non-trawler on my profile! Hopefully one day I will have a lovely trawler on there but for now this is the boat!
Aaron
Old 11-20-2010, 02:44 PM   #7
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express

Quote:
aaronupnorth wrote:

Hi all,
I wanted to give a quick thanks to this forum for the great advice. This is by far the friendliest boat forum online and the advice is great.
After a few posts and pms from you I've decided that a trawler is probably not the best fit for me for now and we have decided to go with a re-done Uniflite Mega 28' (pending a marine and engine survey).
I will continue to live my trawler dreams vicariously through the forum until such a vessel fits my life.
Aaron
Hi Aaron, that could be a great boat for you.* It looks like the 28 mega.* The mega being for larger accomodations.* I had a 1973 28' flybridge sedan.* Same hull.*Owned it until 1981.* Great boat.* The structure was extremely strong.* They have a very fine, deep forefoot, and a modified V in the stern.* That can make her tender in a bow down position.* When running inlets keep the bow up, or it will tend to bow steer and sheer off coming down the front of a wave.

A dealer for a competitive line of boats was fishing a tournament off Morehead City, NC with me.* On that day he said that he didn't have a boat in inventory that would not have come apart.* The Uniflite was tight as ever.

Be safe and enjoy your new boat.*
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 03:11 PM   #8

Good eye! It is a Uniflite Mega. It's in good shape, but since I've got it on the hard at the moment I am doing a bunch of winter projects on the boat at the moment.....eliminating 70's shag carpet and the like!
Cheers,
Aaron
Old 11-20-2010, 04:01 PM   #9
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express

Aaron,

While you have it on the hard, study the hull shape really well.* Compare it to others that maybe out of the water.* The Uniflite does not handle like a deep V or most modified V shapes.* It has an extremely soft ride in a head sea.* The reverse chines do a good job of knocking down spray.* It will track well in a following sea with the stern deep in the water and bow up.* Once you are familiar with running it, it will be second nature to you.* What is the power?
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 04:14 PM   #10

It has twin Merc 302's (some had 350's), so it has adequate power but is not gentle at the pump. I had noticed how different the hull shape was when I pulled it, a couple of friends of mine have had Uniflites and both gave me the same advice as you, basically takes a bit of time to learn and then it is a fairly forgiving and safe hull.