Thank you thank you thanks!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ducatihottie

Please, I'm more interested with the problems you see in the photos. More important, problems with the items listed below.

I blew off the boat with the Volvo engines and bought this one instead. I'm only including engine and electronics information & photos. Why? Cause I dont know ZILTCH about them. This is where I need the pros and cons. I get a kick out of 450 gallons of fuel in the tank.

Listing: 1987 42' CHB 42' Ponderosa Tri-Cabin (US$79,000)

URL: https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1987/chb-42-ponderosa-tri-cabin-3680644/

Any positive or negatives? Does anyone in the PNW know my broker Robert Fiala? Highly recommended.

PLUS I'VE NEVER OWNED A DINGHY BEFORE. IS THERE A DINGHY OWNERS CLUB, (did I spell it right)? Can I place my wife on it, turn it on, point it out to sea and remove the on / off switch?

$77,000, (did I get ripped off)?

Hi Brian,
Pleasure meeting you.
Below please find the requested.
Thank you.
Robert Fiala
1987 CHB Ponderosa 42' "Dream Too"
Highlights:

- [ ] Added bow thruster-2015
Garmin electronics-2018 & Garmin depth 2019
- [ ] New galley fridge(2017), new hot water heater2018, new macerate pump(2019, water pump 2015,
- [ ] March 2019-Kevin Ambrose services main, gearbox & genset
- [ ] bed squeaks with two people on it
- [ ] New starting batteries in 2013
- [ ] New genset battery 2016
- [ ] New house batteries 2016
- [ ] New anchor chain(120’)and rode(300’)2016
- [ ] 3,100 hours mains
- [ ] 450 gallons of fuel out of 500 gallons
- [ ] 2,298 hours on genset
- [ ] Last bottom paint-8.2019 CSR
- [ ] ZINCS-8.2019
- [ ] Varnish cap & hand rails done - April 2019
- [ ] 11’ Novurania 2000/2001 Honda 20hp outboard
- [ ] Diesel furnace & electric heat

Reliable Cummins 6BT5.9M 210hp mains @ 2,600 RPM, Twin Disc MG506 gearboxes, Northern Lights 8kW genset with sound shield, Sidepower electric bow thruster(2015), MasterVolt MASS 24/50 & ProMariner ProSport 12 battery chargers, Dyno batteries(2013/2016), Nav system including Garmin electronics(2018/2019), Pioneer DEH-P6700MP CD receiver with MP3/WMA playback, Espar D8LC forced air heat diesel furnace climate system, Electric heat, Raritan 172011 20 Gallon hot water heater(2018), 44lb Plow anchor, 120' chain with 300' rode(2016)Seawise davit system and Novurania 320TR tender with Honda 20hp outboard.

Attachments

• IMG_6406.jpg
    IMG_6406.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 177
  • IMG_6405.jpg
    IMG_6405.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 154
  • IMG_6401.jpg
    IMG_6401.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 130
  • IMG_6442.jpg
    IMG_6442.jpg
    159 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_6329.jpg
    IMG_6329.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 159
  • 1591938795490_IMG_6345.jpg
    1591938795490_IMG_6345.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 136
  • 1591938970841_IMG_6346.jpg
    1591938970841_IMG_6346.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 127
  • 1591938965462_IMG_6341.jpg
    1591938965462_IMG_6341.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 119
  • 1591938796095_IMG_6349.jpg
    1591938796095_IMG_6349.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 118
  • 1591938796694_IMG_6348.jpg
    1591938796694_IMG_6348.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 113
Last edited:
Well time will tell if you got a good boat, but as to the engines I would take the 5.9s any day over the Volvos. Much better engine and support. Congrats!

The other boat had dual Volvos, ( this only one engine). And I know that many here prefer dual motors.

But am I wrong to think one engine is less maintenance than two? Plus I save on yearly oil changes? If it breaks down, can't my wife tug me with my Dinghy, (wait that doesn't sound right)...

And if it ever needs "jumping" I'll only need one set of jumper cables not two, (saved about $12 dollars).

Last edited:
Looks nice! Just three comments:

1. The start battery is getting pretty old
2. Your anchor looks a tad undersized and it’s a plow- I use a 66# Spade anchor on my 42 foot boat.
3. Your wife called, she asked if it was practical to booby trap the engine room!!

Thanks spinner. The word "genset" is used a few times, (battery ... gearbox). What's genset mean, (keep the giggles to yourself, I'm clueless)..

And Spinner, My wife knows better. I don't go anywhere near anything that requires tools. And she laughs whenever I pick up a screwdriver, (so I won't be going anywhere near the engine).

If she booby trapped the beer cooler, I'm doomed.

More negatives gang, where did I go wrong. If you feel anything listed is a problem, now's the time to let me know, (I know it's pretty).

How much does a new starter battery cost? A bigger anchor?

I already know I'm screwed with my lack of mechanical skills. And I just bought the most labor intensive item on the planet.... A boat.

Last edited:
Hi Ducatihottie, the answers are ....it depends!

Seriously though, find out what kind of battery is used for starting your engine? There may be more than one. Once you know that, you can check with a marine supplier or auto parts store. It should be a starter type battery, not deep cycle.

If you have been following this forum for any length of time, you will know that there are as many opinions on anchors as there are members! However, my 66# galvanized Spade anchor cost me about $900, including shipping, two years ago. A quick check on the Spade Anchor USA website shows the current price is $1175

Best of luck!

The other boat had dual Volvos, ( this only one engine). And I know that many here prefer dual motors.

But am I wrong to think one engine is less maintenance than two? Plus I save on yearly oil changes? If it breaks down, can't my wife tug me with my Dinghy, (wait that doesn't sound right)...

And if it ever needs "jumping" I'll only need one set of jumper cables not two, (saved about $12 dollars).
Congratulations, looks nice. Advert says "mains" and "gearboxes" but it`s a single + bowthruster. I suggest not "picking the granulation" off the old "single vs twins" debate:); expect you will have it surveyed and, if all goes well, get some handling tuition to get things started if you need it.

Thanks Bruce, will this warning help?

Heryyeee Heryeee, Please don't let me start a war "OR" extended debates or anything. Like what's better,
one engine or two engines, (OR ANYTHING "TOM BRADY"). I bought the boat and there's no return policy like Nordstrom's, (trust me, search "Nordstrom's used tire").

Now back to the regularly scheduled post, "Problems with my boat please".

And whose going to be blunt and say I got ripped off spending $77,000 on a 1987 CHB 42' Ponderosa Tri-Cabin? I appreciate honesty and you'll become my best friend, (right behind, "Popcorn" my Bichon Frise, K?).

Last edited:
Should I be concerned about the squicky bed listed. He said it's fine if we don't rock the boat.

Congrats on the new acquisition. I’d seriously consider hiring a knowledgeable pro (or three) to walk down the boat with you and get a basic understanding of all the systems. Take lots of pictures and keep a voice recorder running. The info will be invaluable as you grow into the boat.

Congrats on the new acquisition. I’d seriously consider hiring a knowledgeable pro (or three) to walk down the boat with you and get a basic understanding of all the systems. Take lots of pictures and keep a voice recorder running. The info will be invaluable as you grow into the boat.

:iagree: This.

In your situation, you probably can't spend too much money on this. It will be the best value-for-$$ you spend over the entire lifetime of the boat.

Greetings,
Mr. D. Congrat's, as well. In addition to having recorded information, as mentioned by Mr. 99, start making some lists. Not necessarily "to do" lists but rather "what's going on" lists.

How to set up and adjust AC/heat, what breakers/switches do what, what spares are on board and what to buy (eventually), locker/drawer contents etc.

"To do" lists will generate themselves.

Since you would likely only jump start one engine at a time, you would not have needed two sets of cables. :)

As to turns out, securing the dinghy to the stern and pushing is better that towing. That way you can lash the OB motor in place and used the big boat's rudder to steer for longer passages. Wifey can thus stay aboard to annoy you about having bought a single engine boat. :banghead:

Better yet, pay Tow BoatUS their annual premium and keep the dink aboard. I experienced my first ever tow from them a couple years back when a cooling hose blew on my single engine boat. I never lost an engine on my twin-engine boat; go figure. I also never had towing insurance with that boat either. So you see, an annual oil change for an extra engine is less than towing insurance. Yep, you screwed up alright.:rofl::rofl:

My one comment is about this particular question.

Don't even ask. You already bought the boat, so it doesn't matter at this point. If the answer happens to be "yes," you don't want to know. Just be happy with your purchase and move forward.

Good luck.

My one comment is about this particular question.

Don't even ask. You already bought the boat, so it doesn't matter at this point. If the answer happens to be "yes," you don't want to know. Just be happy with your purchase and move forward.

Good luck.

+1, be happy, you got a new boat. A genset is a generator.

Your cost of an oil change will be related more closely to the total hp than to whether it is single or twin. I just went through buying oil and oil filters for both my 400hp Cummins in the Motorhome and a pair of 200hp Volvos in the boat. Total cost for filters was exactly the same, total cost of oil was exactly the same. Same goes for water pump impellers and fuel filter elements as the bigger engine wants bigger everything.

Your anchor is just fine.
Though the plow is not a sexy newer design, it is "tried and true" and works well in both the PNW and BC waters. 44# is adequate for your 42. I have a heavier boat and my 44# CQR has never failed me.

Don't go making changes to your new boat for at least a year. In that time you will find out what works for you and what doesn't.

Don't go making changes to your new boat for at least a year. In that time you will find out what works for you and what doesn't.

Best advice to follow.

Too many new boaters start changing or modifying too many things on a recently acquired boat and get overwhelmed, bogged down and/or exceed budget without putting some miles on it first.

Learn the boat, learn to drive it and have some fun first before pulling out the credit card.

A single engine is less expensive to maintain especially since you will be hiring people to service and maintain your boat. Start adding up a second oil, filters, impeller change, two alternators, starters, transmissions, oil coolers, heat exchangers, on and on.

With a single engine, maintenance is done proactively before a breakdown. I have a schedule for either replacing or rebuilding starters, alternators, injectors, pumps, transmission etc before failure, which would be twice the cost on twins.

That is a nice boat that appears to have been cared for. If you are OK with the price, then you got a good deal. Market values are determined by what someone is willing to pay for a boat, house and other used items. Without inspecting the boat throughly, no one will be able to assess it's value. The survey should have a value of the boat.

Last edited:
We have the Cummins 6BT 5.9 210hp (turbo) engine with 2100 hr on it. We've been satisfied with its reliability over the last 11 years. We have a Group 31 for starting it and it catches with one crank, every time. That'll you'll need

Marcy Albin 34

time will tell if you got a good boat. The price seems OK. That is a great engine if maintained and installed well it should out last you.

Not enough pix or detail to see much.

Zincs should be checked and main battery is loon in the tooth.

Last edited:
Brian,
Congrats on your new boat!! Now enjoy all aspects of boating, especially the learning. You received great advice from Angus99, post #10. I strongly suggest following it!! Also, if I understand correctly, this is your first boat? If that is the case, then I also advise hiring a training Capt. to teach you and your wife how to handle the boat, especially docking. It will be money well spent!
After you have some time to "settle in" to boating and owning a boat, check out the website sbmar.com for all kinds of info related to your Cummins engine (and generator). I know one other boater who has over 9,000 hours on his 6BTA (more HP than yours with an aftercooler, but basically same engine) and it is still going strong. That engine has a great reputation and many, many were produced, so parts are around and most mechanics have worked on them.
Good luck and again, enjoy.

Are you better off with two engines: Yes! Are you better off with one engine (plus a bow thruster): Yes!

With two engines you have better maneuverability and a back up if one dies. And you have double everything in maintenance. And if you have to rebuild or replace the engines, you'll probably try to sell the boat instead, very big expense.

One engine has reduced maneuverability which can be militated with a bow thruster and maybe or maybe not a stern thruster. You don't have a back up engine, but you do in the dinghy plus engine. In a jam you side tow the boat with your dinghy, you will get three to four knots out of it if the engine size is reasonable 8 + horsepower. Maintenance bills are reduced and if you have to repower or rebuild, the bill is half the cost so you may not have to sell the boat.

Higher hours on an older motor is better than lower hours, I learned this one the hard way. But just like a car that sits for years, the motor takes a beating but its worse with marine engines.

Fuel, how old is it, does it need to be polished?

For your anchor, without starting anchors wars, even worse than one versus two engine wars, get a "modern" anchor one size up from the recommended (common practice).

I love the grab rails on the saloon deckhead.

It appears to be a great boat, use it a lot and get your money's worth.

Did you buy it subject to sea trial and survey?

The pictures look real good for a 33 year old Taiwanese Tub. I could not make out any leak marks on the interior from the photos. Unfortunately, there were no pics of the decks or the fuel tanks and soft leaky teak decks and bad fuel tanks are quite common for all TTs of that vintage. New electrical wiring is also a common need. Other than that, it looks like a good buy for a 42' CHB.

Please, I'm more interested with the problems you see in the photos. More important, problems with the items listed below.

I blew off the boat with the Volvo engines and bought this one instead. I'm only including engine and electronics information & photos. Why? Cause I dont know ZILTCH about them. This is where I need the pros and cons. I get a kick out of 450 gallons of fuel in the tank.

Listing: 1987 42' CHB 42' Ponderosa Tri-Cabin (US$79,000)

URL: https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1987/chb-42-ponderosa-tri-cabin-3680644/

Any positive or negatives? Does anyone in the PNW know my broker Robert Fiala? Highly recommended.

PLUS I'VE NEVER OWNED A DINGHY BEFORE. IS THERE A DINGHY OWNERS CLUB, (did I spell it right)? Can I place my wife on it, turn it on, point it out to sea and remove the on / off switch?

Hi Brian,
Pleasure meeting you.
Below please find the requested.
Thank you.
Robert Fiala
1987 CHB Ponderosa 42' "Dream Too"
Highlights:

- [ ] Added bow thruster-2015
Garmin electronics-2018 & Garmin depth 2019
- [ ] New galley fridge(2017), new hot water heater2018, new macerate pump(2019, water pump 2015,
- [ ] March 2019-Kevin Ambrose services main, gearbox & genset
- [ ] bed squeaks with two people on it
- [ ] New starting batteries in 2013
- [ ] New genset battery 2016
- [ ] New house batteries 2016
- [ ] New anchor chain(120’)and rode(300’)2016
- [ ] 3,100 hours mains
- [ ] 450 gallons of fuel out of 500 gallons
- [ ] 2,298 hours on genset
- [ ] Last bottom paint-8.2019 CSR
- [ ] ZINCS-8.2019
- [ ] Varnish cap & hand rails done - April 2019
- [ ] 11’ Novurania 2000/2001 Honda 20hp outboard
- [ ] Diesel furnace & electric heat

Reliable Cummins 6BT5.9M 210hp mains @ 2,600 RPM, Twin Disc MG506 gearboxes, Northern Lights 8kW genset with sound shield, Sidepower electric bow thruster(2015), MasterVolt MASS 24/50 & ProMariner ProSport 12 battery chargers, Dyno batteries(2013/2016), Nav system including Garmin electronics(2018/2019), Pioneer DEH-P6700MP CD receiver with MP3/WMA playback, Espar D8LC forced air heat diesel furnace climate system, Electric heat, Raritan 172011 20 Gallon hot water heater(2018), 44lb Plow anchor, 120' chain with 300' rode(2016)Seawise davit system and Novurania 320TR tender with Honda 20hp outboard.

Welcome!

First, Robert Fiala is a very well regarded broker- I've known him and worked with him for over a decade. Very honest and trustworthy- his reputation is well deserved.

Nice boat- it's up to you whether or not you got "ripped off' at the end of the day. You have a vessel that has enjoyed the benefit of care from well known facilities and service providers- seems like you got a great deal!

Will do. I have to. What would I "search" on the net to find ones that would "train" me on how to drive my boat? Is there Boater-Ed?

Will do. I have to. What would I "search" on the net to find ones that would "train" me on how to drive my boat? Is there Boater-Ed?

Is this your first boat? I'd be surprised if insurance companies didn't push back on a boat that large for a first time boat owner. They would typically require that you higher a captain and take training.

Your local Boat Relocation Captains will charge for training and take the role as the onboard captain to satisfy insurance requirements.

Ducati (Brian),
You might check into Capt. Linda Lewis as a trainer. That is what she does, however, I have not used her, only seen her doing demos and discussions at Seattle Boat Show and at a NT rendezvous.
She is the only one I know in the Seattle area, but I am sure there are more.

Assuming that you are a total “noob” to boating, my absolute Number One recommendation is to join a yacht club. As Past Commodore of the Edmonds Yacht Club I know quite a few of the clubs in the area pretty well. Find a club near where you’re keeping the boat and attend their meetings and social functions. You will find so much expertise and you will learn a ton from the other members. I’ll bet some of the best help you’ll get will be from long-time members who no longer own boats but have a huge knowledge base.

If you’re keeping the boat in Lake Union, I recommend Tyee Yacht Club. Inexpensive to join and they do lots of group cruises. If you have plenty of money, Queen City, Meydenbauer Bay and Seattle Yacht Clubs have lots of great amenities (like cool outstations) but dues and initiation fees are much higher.

All of these clubs are members of the “Grand 14” yacht clubs in the PNW, and this opens you up to more boating friendships. If this is not important to you, there are lots of smaller yacht clubs around, too.

If you’re in the salt water, look for a club in or near your marina. If there are multiple options nearby, I recommend visiting each club once before making your decision. Most will invite you to a dinner meeting on the house. Some clubs exist b/c they own their own docks and members are more interested in boat storage than cruising or other activities.

If you want a more personal recommendation, send me a personal message and let me know where you are. A friend of mine keeps his boat in Everett and it is very similar to yours. His funny story - he was amazed at how little fuel his boat used until one day it died on him. A yacht club friend came in and showed him how to open the valve on the sight gauge for his fuel tank to show the amount of fuel... yep, he didn’t know how to do that...!

Back
Top Bottom