Thank you thank you thanks!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Will do. I have to. What would I "search" on the net to find ones that would "train" me on how to drive my boat? Is there Boater-Ed?

Ask your insurance agent. They should have a list of check out/training captains that they have worked with and or approve in your area..

I received most of my insurance checkout jobs from agents referrals.

Interview the training captain and get references to make sure you will enjoy working with him/her. Some training captains may be great boat drivers but may not have the patience or ability to effectively train a novice. The training is not cheap so be sure to select one carefully.

Is this your first boat? I'd be surprised if insurance companies didn't push back on a boat that large for a first time boat owner. They would typically require that you higher a captain and take training.

Your local Boat Relocation Captains will charge for training and take the role as the onboard captain to satisfy insurance requirements.

Ask your insurance agent. They should have a list of check out/training captains that they have worked with and or approve in your area..

I received most of my insurance checkout jobs from agents referrals.

Interview the training captain and get references to make sure you will enjoy working with him/her. Some training captains may be great boat drivers but may not have the patience or ability to effectively train a novice. The training is not cheap so be sure to select one carefully.

The bold above is exactly spot on- your insurance carrier should have either ascertained your level of expertise and offered coverage based on said experience, or offered coverage with the proviso that you undergo skippered training on your vessel to become basically competent in vessel operations before the training captain requirement is removed.

Who is your carrier?

Assuming that you are a total “noob” to boating, my absolute Number One recommendation is to join a yacht club. As Past Commodore of the Edmonds Yacht Club I know quite a few of the clubs in the area pretty well. Find a club near where you’re keeping the boat and attend their meetings and social functions. You will find so much expertise and you will learn a ton from the other members. I’ll bet some of the best help you’ll get will be from long-time members who no longer own boats but have a huge knowledge base.

If you’re keeping the boat in Lake Union, I recommend Tyee Yacht Club. Inexpensive to join and they do lots of group cruises. If you have plenty of money, Queen City, Meydenbauer Bay and Seattle Yacht Clubs have lots of great amenities (like cool outstations) but dues and initiation fees are much higher.

All of these clubs are members of the “Grand 14” yacht clubs in the PNW, and this opens you up to more boating friendships. If this is not important to you, there are lots of smaller yacht clubs around, too.

If you’re in the salt water, look for a club in or near your marina. If there are multiple options nearby, I recommend visiting each club once before making your decision. Most will invite you to a dinner meeting on the house. Some clubs exist b/c they own their own docks and members are more interested in boat storage than cruising or other activities.

If you want a more personal recommendation, send me a personal message and let me know where you are. A friend of mine keeps his boat in Everett and it is very similar to yours. His funny story - he was amazed at how little fuel his boat used until one day it died on him. A yacht club friend came in and showed him how to open the valve on the sight gauge for his fuel tank to show the amount of fuel... yep, he didn’t know how to do that...!

As Past Commodore of Tyee Yacht Club, I heartily agree with Rob (who is also a great friend) about joining a yacht club and getting involved.

In terms of learning curve, most yacht-club buddies will be able to teach you how to maneuver the boat. You have a bow thruster, so it won't be as steep a learning curve. Most insurance carriers have no requirements for a boat your size (under 50 feet).

Peter, who just replied to this thread, is a good source for insurance information.

I learned more in a week from a couple of experienced boaters who showed me the ropes than I could have learned anywhere else, and it didn't cost a cent. Best advice? Get wireless headsets for you and your First Mate, then practice docking until you can both get the boat in and tied up without any screaming, shouting or harsh words of recrimination. Once you can do that without a rise in blood pressure, going through the Locks will be a breeze.

Learn how to change the fuel filters. If the boat has not been run in a long time, you may jostle up some crud in your first rough-water ride and it could plug the fuel filter.

One other benefit of being in a yacht club: buddy-boating. It is so great to have another friendly boat in eyesight as you learn how to handle your boat.

Having an experienced boater show you the ropes may be an inexpensive way to learn but you get what you payed for. You may pick up a bad tips and habits.

A good training captain has the patience, experience and the training required to be a good instructor. The theories and tips regarding boat handling that you will learn from a qualified boat driving instructor is invaluable. The training captain will know what skills are required to satisfy insurance and will have you practice those maneuvers until you are proficient.

Since the OP is new to boating, I'm pretty sure a check out by a licensed captain will be required by insurance.

Last edited:
Having an experienced boater show you the ropes may be an inexpensive way to learn but you get what you payed for. You may pick up a bad tips and habits.

A good training captain has the patience, experience and the training required to be a good instructor. The theories and tips regarding boat handling that you will learn from a qualified boat driving instructor is invaluable. The training captain will know what skills are required to satisfy insurance and will have you practice those maneuvers until you are proficient.

Since the OP is new to boating, I'm pretty sure a check out by a licensed captain will be required by insurance.

Plus the insurance
Syjos, beat me to it :thumb:
It is a crap shoot as to the quality of training you may receive from friends you know well, and even worse with people you just met. With proper recommendations, and reference checks, you should be able to find a very good "professional trainer", and the Tricks and techniques you will learn will prove very worthwhile IMO. Also, as stated, your insurance provider will be much more accepting of using a professional.:D

All due respect, folks, and not to discount anyone's comments...

The boat is 42 feet. I am a recently-retired licensed insurance agent. The company I represented (which was the largest insurer of personally-owned boats in the country) did not require formal training for a boat of this size. I'm not saying it's a bad thing to get formal training. It would be a great thing!

However, if the OP is on a budget he may be looking to economize. My training from yacht club friends came from a former commercial fishing boat captain, a former captain of the Virginia V, and some quick on-board coaching from former marine and USCG boat pilots. I'm not saying everyone will be able to get that, but their coaching was far more useful than the formal course my wife and I took. But that's just one person's experience.

Make sure to shop your insurance carefully. Not all policy coverages are the same. Most (not all) personal lines carriers have marine policies that are not as "good" as a true yacht policy, and in my experience most (not all) personal lines insurance agents do not have a lot of boat insurance experience or expertise. I believe Pete posted a great insurance overview a couple of years ago. You might want to search for that.

Good luck with your new boat!

Brian, welcome. Nice looking boat. I noticed a few water stains below the upper windows in the galley but that's typically resolvable if the core isn't too wet yet. ER looked tidy. Kevin is THE MAN for engine maintenance so keep using him. Price seems in line with similar vessels in that same range category ($50K - 100K) and if it's in good condition and fit out the way you want it seems fair. If it's in poor to fair condition then it's on the high side. Can we assume you got a survey? If so you should have received a condition evaluation and a fair market value estimate.

Good advice here and I agree with the joining a YC idea. We were in a similar situation a few years ago. Although we had previous sailboating experience it was a simple boat with minimal systems. We bought a 40', twin engine trawler, brought it back to Lake Union where our broker docked it in one of those tight, covered marinas for us and immediately thought "Well $H!T! How are we going to get this thing out of here and through the locks let alone go anywhere?!"

We joined a YC (which also happened to be Tyee YC - in fact were about ten slips down from Peter on Pau Hana) and immediately learned tons from so many experienced boaters who were friendly and willing to offer advice and help. Our confidence grew that first year as we learned to navigate the locks, went to the San Juans and BC Gulf Islands and all around Lake Washington. We also took on many repair and refit projects with excellent advice and support from our YC friends.

Three years later we're live-aboards on a larger boat (another refit) and are planning trips to Alaska, Mexico and beyond.

Where are you keeping it?

Last edited:
All due respect, folks, and not to discount anyone's comments...

The boat is 42 feet. I am a recently-retired licensed insurance agent. The company I represented (which was the largest insurer of personally-owned boats in the country) did not require formal training for a boat of this size. I'm not saying it's a bad thing to get formal training. It would be a great thing!

However, if the OP is on a budget he may be looking to economize. My training from yacht club friends came from a former commercial fishing boat captain, a former captain of the Virginia V, and some quick on-board coaching from former marine and USCG boat pilots. I'm not saying everyone will be able to get that, but their coaching was far more useful than the formal course my wife and I took. But that's just one person's experience.

Make sure to shop your insurance carefully. Not all policy coverages are the same. Most (not all) personal lines carriers have marine policies that are not as "good" as a true yacht policy, and in my experience most (not all) personal lines insurance agents do not have a lot of boat insurance experience or expertise. I believe Pete posted a great insurance overview a couple of years ago. You might want to search for that.

Good luck with your new boat!

I had a client who owned a 32 Bayliner for 6 years with no claims. When he bought a 54' OA, he was required to get a check out.

Another client moved up from a 26' sailboat, no claims, to a 36' trawler and required checkout.

One client had a 45' trawler for 8 years with no claims and moved up to a 60' something or other. He was required to get a checkout.

I can go on and on.

A lot depends on the Insurance Company, the boat owners experience, type of boat purchased and location.

There were many clients who were required checkouts by Insurance that were fully competent with many years of experience. I simply had them do all the maneuvers that I felt were important and signed them off.

The OP has 0 experience, according to him. I can not imagine any Insurance Company covering him with no experience. And it seems irresponsible for the company to let him leave the dock without some sort of proof of competence.

Last edited:
Rob,
I agree with Syjos (and Peter) on this one regarding insurance. Brian (OP) says he has not even owned a dinghy before.
Also, getting training from an "experienced" boater can be a total crap shoot. In the cases you described, which to me sound more like a "one off' rather than the norm, it would work out well. For example, with my wife and I, we moved a few years ago from a 37 foot sailboat that we had owned for about 11 years to our 40 foot Tug (single engine with bow thruster). Even though we were very comfortable and proficient on our sailboat, we had difficulties with the new boat. We had just met and got to know a professional Captain on a 100 foot plus yacht moored beside us, which turned out to be very lucky for us. He offered to take us out so we took him up on it. Very, Very helpful and with his techniques and pointers we are now quite comfortable handling our Tug.
However, I have seen many long term boaters handling their boats docking that haven't got much of a clue. Taking lessons from them would not be very helpful!!!
Plus, even a boater with good skills may not be able to "get the message across" in a way and manner that a new boater would gain much from. Yes it is free (or inexpensive like a beer or something), but in some cases, you get what you pay for.

Now, if you happen to know some of the boaters you were talking about, it may work out well, but a bit of a "crap shoot", especially when the OP doesn't know much about boats or boating so doesn't have anything to judge by.
JMHO, and as you have, others may differ.

Economize on training at the front end and pay the deductibles later.

Which formal course?

Congratulations on the new boat. I am a new owner to an 42 CHB Present Sundeck and have been ironing out the kinks. Outside of the motors and electrical the common problems with the older Taiwanese Trawlers are soft (dry rotted) decks, rusty black iron fuel tanks and leaky windows. Hopefully your surveyor identified if you have any of those problems. Otherwise, your boat looks clean and reasonably priced! Have fun learning and getting your hands dirty.

I think the first thing to play with is getting your Washington boater card. I think boat us offers free online course and test.

In my Garage at home, ST3, DUCATI yellow.

Before this purchase this boat, I told my wife I was buying another Gold Wing. She sid "no" so now we're buying a boat.

With a single engine, maintenance is done proactively before a breakdown. I have a schedule for either replacing or rebuilding starters, alternators, injectors, pumps, transmission etc before failure, which would be twice the cost on twins.

Are you or anyone able to provide me with a list of your scheduled maintenance? Looks like some repair years will cost more than others.

If you’re keeping the boat in Lake Union, I recommend Tyee Yacht Club. Inexpensive to join and they do lots of group cruises. If you have plenty of money, Queen City, Meydenbauer Bay and Seattle Yacht Clubs have lots of great amenities (like cool outstations) but dues and initiation fees are much higher.

Im keepng it at Fisherman's wharf, transferable mooring $610 month.

I'm a little poor after this purchase and will take about a year to get out of this hole. Aren't yacht clubs expensive?

Im keepng it at Fisherman's wharf, transferable mooring $610 month.

I'm a little poor after this purchase and will take about a year to get out of this hole. Aren't yacht clubs expensive?

Tyee is $500 initiation, and then about $400/year in dues- nothing else. We've been members since 2010, and have thoroughly enjoyed the camaraderie and cruising.

In my Garage at home, ST3, DUCATI yellow.

Before this purchase this boat, I told my wife I was buying another Gold Wing. She sid "no" so now we're buying a boat.

Aaaah, you mean a Goldwing like this..?

Attachments

• C9EC1E9D-A31C-48E9-94A7-EA9119D9B270.jpg
    C9EC1E9D-A31C-48E9-94A7-EA9119D9B270.jpg
    197.2 KB · Views: 28
I know that boat, it was kept in La Conner for a long time. Met the owner several times. He may have been the original owner. The boat was kept up really well. Think he sold it two years ago.

Back
Top Bottom