Tenders? Walker Bay or Novurania?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bowball

Guru
Looking at some used tenders, RIB’s with center consoles.

Any experience with Walker Bay or Novurania RIBS?
12-14’ so good sized ones. Probably 40hp to 50hp outboard.

Stability, performance, towing attributes?

"12-14’ so good sized ones. Probably 40hp to 50hp outboard.
Stability, performance, towing attributes?"

Stabilty - always relative but even at 12.5' they are pretty stable, the stability rises quickly with each added foot.

Performance - you can usually get on plane with up to 4 smaller sized adults, travel at 20+ mph easily, and top out at or slightly above 30 mph. Can tow a 'good' skiier if desired with one on board (not allowed in some states).

Towing attributes - at hull speed they are OK. At higher speeds and in weather even the 14' ones often do not have some of the items which mke towing easier such as - self bailing cockpits, longer and deeper beam to resist 'wagging' of the tow, large and robust tow attaching points, low enough tow attaching points. Any of these could be modified as well on existing RIBS.
Dependent upon make/model selected YMMV.

I have a 12 ft Walkerbay Genesis with a 30 hp Honda. It weighs just under 500 lbs which is the working load for my davit. Most everything is plastic and certainly wouldn't be my first choice except for the weight.

I had a Walker Bay hypalon RIB. It started coming apart at the seams first time I used it.

Other than that it was pretty nice.

I have a walker bay Genesis. It is now 7 years old. Still looks good. Still holds air. Nothing has broken. My only concern is the vinyl seat covering. I am not expecting it to last 10 years but then my 20 year old Avon required the vinyl to be replaced after 10 years as well.

I have had no issues with the seams.

We had a Walker Bay Genesis RIB. I liked the storage seats and so forth, didn't need the folding transom. I'd say it was "OK" but not great. WB is acquiring a pretty grim rep online for service and warranty repair/replacement (or lack thereof).

-Chris

No one tops Novurania in quality of RIB for dinghy or tender. That said, there are other very good boats. If looking used, the condition of the specific boat takes over.

I have a 1996 12 foot Novurania. It's the best RIB I've ever owned. It holds air, no leaks, planes with 5 adults on board with the 30hp two stroke (also a 96). One thing I've noticed is that with only one or 2 people on it sitting back at the center console the bow can come up quite a bit. The weight of the 30hp and the people (we're only 150 lbs each) means you be careful about speed into any breeze.

I can imagine putting a 50 hp motor on it making that aspect worse.

I have no experience towing it. We always take it up before moving. Too many friends with stories of how they lost their dinghy.

If you have specific questions feel free to ask here or PM me.

Last boat I bought came with a 20 year old 13 foot Novurania. Going in I fully expected to replace it. But to my surprise the tubes held air just fine and the rest of the boat cleaned up great. In the end, the only sign of true age was some color fading on the tubes. I was impressed.

I had a Walker Bay. After a 4 month struggle with their customer service department I ended up giving it away and buying a Highfield.

I'll never have another Walker Bay product.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom