Old 01-10-2018, 08:09 PM   #41

City: Florida
Vessel Model: 420AC Sea Ray
Iíve noticed that there are not a lot of boats in the Bahamas with bottom paint. Perhaps this is just the smaller boats that Iíve come across. One person told me that barnacles typically do not grow in the Bahamas because the marine life likes to eat them before they get established.

On the towing topic I think I am all set. I made the bridal and total line connections today.

The only issue that I am having now is Saturdayís weather forecast is calling for 3 to 5 with 15kt wind out of the north west.

This would put the wind at our backís for the trip down but Iím not sure if I want to venture out in that type of Sea state for my first towing trip.

k9medic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 09:59 PM   #42
Guru

City: Fairport, NY and Palm Coast, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by k9medic View Post

The only issue that I am having now is Saturdayís weather forecast is calling for 3 to 5 with 15kt wind out of the north west.

This would put the wind at our backís for the trip down but Iím not sure if I want to venture out in that type of Sea state for my first towing trip.

Same forecast as here. Oh, is that 3-5 feet or degrees

diver dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 07:19 AM   #43

Well we finally got a nice day to try the setup out.

I took the 100' dyneema line (synthetic winch rope) and attached it to two pieces of 5/8" double braided nylon rope. I had to tie a bowline in the dyneema to attach the shackle to since one end of the dyneema was a "free end."

We took the little boat out in the bay and attached the boats together. I tied the ends of the nylon rope to the cleats using a modification of a cleat hitch where the rope pulled on both ends of the cleat at the same time.

Moving forward very slowly it was evident that the whole setup was just the right length. At 8 kts. the tender was riding the back side of the third wake. When we accelerated to cruise speed, the boat was tracking great and riding smoothly.

We did notice that at 8kts. the tender was really trying to get up on plane though.

Of course this was in the protected waters of a river so in the ocean there might be some changes.
Old 01-22-2018, 11:56 AM   #44
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
Sounds good so far, but I'd really encourage you to get some more stretch built into tha set up, perhaps by subbing 3 strand for that double braid. But before doing that, a few more sea trials and observation should better inform the decision to do that or not.

Have fun out there!

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 01:26 PM   #45

What is the benefit of the three strand?
Old 01-22-2018, 03:31 PM   #46
Guru

City: Narragansett Bay
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by k9medic View Post
What is the benefit of the three strand?
Three strand has a lot more stretch then double braid. Is much easier on the attachment points.

Cigatoo is online now   Reply With Quote