Temp gauge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cbouch

Wonder if anyone else has had a similar problem as I am having with my temp gauges lower helm works fine upper nothing. Boat is a1986 Oceania single Perkins diesel. Gauges are the originals supplied with engine. Trouble shooting ideas would be appreciated. Thanks cliff

Take the lower gauge and swap it with the upper. If the problem moved it’s the gauge. If it doesn’t move then it’s the wiring or maybe it has its own sender.

If the problem doesn't move you have the wrong senders installed.

Is this a recent development or has this always been the case?

Swap the guages but the fact that one works and the other doesn't suggests to me a wiring problem. Likely corrosion at the connections or in the terminal barrels. Sometime a re termination will get things working. Pay attention to the guage ground also.

I am attaching a picture that I just took. I am thinking that the sender with the two wires drives the guages and the one with one wire is the temp alarm. Does that make sense??both have obviously been there for a long time and to answer a question at some point in time both guages did work. I began to remove the nut holding both wires and believe that the whole stud began to move so stopped. Do lot want to mess with it before I get a new one in my hand just in case. It begins to leak.

Attachments

• 77B4F9D5-A00F-4DFA-AEDC-2C1A6C8396A8.jpg
    77B4F9D5-A00F-4DFA-AEDC-2C1A6C8396A8.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 18
Back
Top Bottom