Teak decks vs Fiberglass

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
For us, when we were looking for our boat, any boat we looked at that had a teak deck was automatically disqualified.

Most boats from the 80 and 90s that have a teak deck has leaked in its life and has a soft deck.

From what I understand today, teak decks are glued, not screwed. But still a lot of work as I like shiny....

Shiny non skid?
How does that work?

Teak decks on my TT are in pretty good shape, doesn't leak even in heavy rain. There is one secret to keeping the wood safe and one secret only, in fact its no secret at all. It just expensive, but you pay it up front or you pay it later. Its called covered moorage.

There is one secret to keeping the wood safe and one secret only, in fact its no secret at all. It just expensive, but you pay it up front or you pay it later. Its called covered moorage.

Covered mooring dont exist in most of the world yet they have wooden boats.
Wooden boats are getting around still that were build before fiberglass existed.
I wonder how they manage? :rolleyes:

"Wooden boats are getting around still that were build before fiberglass existed.
I wonder how they manage?"

A wood boat is simple to repair , with wood and a skilled woodworker.

A wooden overlay , not so easy.

Have no exterior wood. :dance::dance:
My personal recommendation is in complete agreement with Mark's recommendation unless, you want to spend the rest of your life refinishing, replacing, chasing water leaks and complaining about the time and money spent.

You bought a boat, don't go begging for more trouble.

Covered mooring dont exist in most of the world yet they have wooden boats.
Wooden boats are getting around still that were build before fiberglass existed.
I wonder how they manage? :rolleyes:
Speaking about teak overlay decks in particular, you know, the problematic ones?:rolleyes: Not wood boats in general.

I've had both non-skid and teak decks and prefer teak. I wouldn't mind downgrading to non-skid for my flybridge and foredeck, but I just can't do it for the cockpit. My cockpit deck is in good condition, but if I still own the boat when it needs replacement and feel that the replacement cost is too much, I wonder how outdoor carpet over non-skid would be. I've seen many Sea Ray type boats with them. What are the pros and cons?

Regarding value, I would place a boat with well kept or replaced teak decks above non-skid, but opposite if the teak is in bad shape.

Teak decks are great no doubt and properly installed and maintained should last many years. In a 30 YO trawler they can be fine or can be the cause of deck leaks including leaks into the interior and rot. Just as an FYI the teak decks were professionally removed from my boat and the decks redone for about 20K before I bought the boat - and to me it was a selling point.

Ken

I don't want to hijack this thread, we are looking at mid 90's Grand Banks. Every one we have looked at have teak decks and most have teak on the upper deck. I have seen no evidence of water intrusion. GB's have a reputation for a high standard of build quality... Is a teak deck a show stopper for a GB purchase?

Why can’t you just remove the teak deck and laminate 2 layers of glass mat over existing glass . That will reinforce the deck and keep any more water from entering the core

Ka-se-ta, you don't need to do a darn thing if you have no leaks and the teak is not worn thin from excessive sanding to the point screw bungs are popping out....assuming your teak is screwed not glued. Don't get scared off by the panic merchants here.

Why can’t you just remove the teak deck and laminate 2 layers of glass mat over existing glass . That will reinforce the deck and keep any more water from entering the core

you can....some of us have done it.

you make it sound so easy..... :)

have you done it?

I don't want to hijack this thread, we are looking at mid 90's Grand Banks. Every one we have looked at have teak decks and most have teak on the upper deck. I have seen no evidence of water intrusion. GB's have a reputation for a high standard of build quality... Is a teak deck a show stopper for a GB purchase?

If you go through the threads over on the Grand Banks Owners forum, for many of those folks NOT having a teak deck would be a show stopper!

Maybe if you have seen great decks on the boats you have looked it at, it means that GB owners generally know how to take care of their decks?

I believe that if the teak has been properly taken care of, a 1990's GB should have good decks.

Jim

or people who own Grand Banks paid people to look after those teak decks....

or had coverd storage....

or they were just better built and were WAYYYYY more expensive to begin with....

you can....some of us have done it.

you make it sound so easy..... :)

have you done it?

PSNeeld...you are quite right, it is NOT easy! Filling and fairing and fairing and fairing before glassing then sanding and sanding and sanding then painting....in my neck of the woods, simply glue-ing teak panels made off-vessel onto the f/g after quickly filling screw holes (and repairing any areas of limited rot) is comparative in cost, surprisingly to many.

Not if you do all the repair and glass work yourself.

Teak is not cheap.

I definitely would not consider it a show stopper on a GB. I would look very carefully at the condition of the deck and of course if there is any evidence of leaking. But a teak teak properly applied and properly cared for can last a very long time.

Ken

I don't know if it's been mentioned but have you considered the flexiteak? It looks real and there is no maintenance. I have it on the swimstep and cockpit and it looks pretty good. You can also sand it to remove marks.

Attachments

• Name on transom.jpg
    Name on transom.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 41
TT Aren't the only problems with overlays, at the next dock is a superb Dutch built cruiser , one would expect no horrors .

Sadly Teak was slobbered (looks fantastic) down on a steel deck with SS screws and some goop.

Leaking like a sieve , with no hope of a repair that would look good that wont cost 25% of the boats value.

Don't overlook the use of recycled teak. I had a substantial swim platform constructed and installed.
Just run it through the planner first.
It sure did look pretty when I let it go gray.

Maybe next year, the forward part of the deck.
Once completed, you will never have to do it again!!!!
Think how happy the next owner will be, no teak decks. LOL

Same way with my boat, the next owner will be so happy with the changes I made. Granted the electronics still need to be upgraded but, that's the new owner's problem.

If there's been no leaking, no problem. But, "keep any MORE water from entering"!?! If you've already got a wet core, then just sealing it in is not any kind of solution. That will only lead to massive problems in the long term.

Back
Top Bottom