Old 06-30-2020, 08:33 AM   #1
Guru

To the Teak Deck Naysayers

I've been a member of this forum for a pretty long time. I've read scores of threads about teak decks and have endured all the comments about how all teak deck boats are bad, they all leak, they are a disaster.
It bothered me because I have teak decks, and I knew some day I would be selling my boat and most of you all have been telling potential buyers to stay away from teak.

Anyway, yesterday was the survey. The surveyor tapped darn near every inch of the teak decks. He used a moisture meter after that. Including the flybridge deck.
100% solid and dry. And he was amazed that there were no plugs missing!

I rest my case.
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 07:21 AM   #2
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by jleonard View Post
I've been a member of this forum for a pretty long time. I've read scores of threads about teak decks and have endured all the comments about how all teak deck boats are bad, they all leak, they are a disaster.
It bothered me because I have teak decks, and I knew some day I would be selling my boat and most of you all have been telling potential buyers to stay away from teak.

Anyway, yesterday was the survey. The surveyor tapped darn near every inch of the teak decks. He used a moisture meter after that. Including the flybridge deck.

I rest my case.
Congratulations!
Just like a 6-71 Detroit, I guess it was only a matter of time before someone had one that didn't leak. But just like death, it eventually leaking, is probably inevitable.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 08:35 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Congrats Jay. However one good deck doesn’t outweigh the 1000 that do leak.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 10:06 AM   #4
TF Site Team

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
Quote:

I rest my case.
And yet you can't get them to stop posting their negativity!
With a minimum of maintenance, ie, plug replacements, caulking, they will last as long as the boat.
Old 07-01-2020, 10:29 AM   #5
Guru

City: Vallejo, California
Vessel Name: Mahalo Moi
Vessel Model: 1986 Grand Banks 42 Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by koliver View Post
And yet you can't get them to stop posting their negativity!
With a minimum of maintenance, ie, plug replacements, caulking, they will last as long as the boat.
This ^!

We like our teak deck. We probably spend 3-4 hours per year maintaining it. I’ll venture a guess that most naysayers have never had a teak deck.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑβΕ
Giggitoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 10:51 AM   #6
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: Circuit Breaker
Vessel Model: 2021..22' Duffy Cuddy cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggitoni View Post
This ^!

We like our teak deck. We probably spend 3-4 hours per year maintaining it. I’ll venture a guess that most naysayers have never had a teak deck.
I agree with Giggitoni on this . The only outside teak we have on our boat is the cockpit. We don't oil or stain it as there's no going back after doing either one. We simply clean it every year and it looks great! Back in the early days of sailing ships, they used to "holy stone" the teak decks to keep them looking good and providing great holding for the crew's feet. I've found that all these years later, that still is the best way to maintain them. (MHO)
Attached Thumbnails
Teak Cockpit.jpg   teak 2.jpg  
Old 07-01-2020, 11:02 AM   #7
Guru

City: Philadelphia, PA
Vessel Name: Revel
Vessel Model: 1984 Fu Hwa 39
We have Teak decks on our '84 FuHwa 38. No known leaks. Bear in mind that neither the bungs nor the seam sealant is the source of the leaks. It's the myriad screwholes which are sealed with the goo that holds the Teak strips down. And... who knows what the state of that goo is?
DHeckrotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 11:55 AM   #8
Guru

City: Nanaimo
Vessel Name: former owner of "Pilitak"
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHeckrotte View Post
We have Teak decks on our '84 FuHwa 38. No known leaks. Bear in mind that neither the bungs nor the seam sealant is the source of the leaks. It's the myriad screwholes which are sealed with the goo that holds the Teak strips down. And... who knows what the state of that goo is?
First off, full disclosure. I have not owned "screwed down" teak decks. On my sailboat, I had "glued down" teak decks. The later must have the caulking redone periodically, but being as there are no holes in the fibreglass, they should not develop leaks. Mine did not, but I sold the boat when it was only 11 years old.
As DHeckrotte says it would be the thousands of screw penetrations that I would worry about on the screwed down version. I have it on good authority (and multiple sources) that failure to "reseal" the screw penetrations is often the cause of leaking in these decks often leading to deck core damage, interior damage, and sometimes great expense. The good authority are several marine surveyors and several experienced boat brokers including one who sold and represented Grand Banks for years. Sealant does not last forever. Common sense suggests that eventually screw or deck penetrations on a boat will eventually leak if not adequately maintained by "rebedding".

While I am happy for those of you who have teak decks, like them, and have so far not had any issues with them, personally, I would not want to take the chance. I do not want more maintenance, and I cannot imagine having to remove all of those screws, rebed them, install new bungs, and recaulk all of those seams even once in my boat ownership time. And that big job, would be to avoid the much larger job of dealing with wet, spongy decks should leaks be unnoticed or neglected. Personally, I am not much of a gambler, and this is one area I am not willing to gamble on. As to hiring the work out, I have better things to spend my money on (JMHO).
I do agree with those who say don't oil or apply other treatments to the teak.

It seems, we have those who love their teak, and the rest of us who would avoid it. Fair enough!!
Old 07-01-2020, 03:09 PM   #9
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comodave View Post
Congrats Jay. However one good deck doesn’t outweigh the 1000 that do leak.
And this is exactly why I made this post. You really can’t quantify your comment. Yet you wrote it.
I doubt that only .01% of teak decks are still in good condition.
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 03:56 PM   #10
Guru

City: Qualicum Beach, Vancouver Island
Vessel Name: Capricorn
Vessel Model: Mariner 30 - Sedan Cruiser 1969
Owning a gas engine boat is kind of like the same thing, everyone knows diesel is better - most the time.
rsn48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 04:35 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Quote:
And this is exactly why I made this post. You really can’t quantify your comment. Yet you wrote it.
I doubt that only .01% of teak decks are still in good condition.
No, I cannot give an exact number, but maybe just seeing the number of posts about wet coring in the decks would be enough “proof” about screwed down teak decks. However I am glad your decks were fine during the survey.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 05:25 PM   #12
Guru

City: Trenton
Just ignore them.

They know not of what they speak.
alormaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 05:51 PM   #13
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Well I saw a lot of bad teak decks when we were looking at boats. When we got serious, if the boat had teak decks (amoung other things), it was automatically disqualified.

No I don't have leaking teak decks as I don't have any. Besides non-skid on your bare feet feels soooooo good!
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 06:10 PM   #14
Veteran Member

City: Portland
Vessel Name: JOYSEA
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36 Classic
Teak deck on my old boat are nailed down. I have done some re-caulking to stop some leaks.
bjensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 07:17 PM   #15
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjensen View Post
Teak deck on my old boat are nailed down. I have done some re-caulking to stop some leaks.
I`ve had screwed(you usually are),and glued(good), but not 'nailed". Not sure I ever saw that form of attachment. Tell us more.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 07:36 PM   #16
Guru

City: Port Townsend and La Paz
Vessel Name: Domino and Libra
Vessel Model: Malcom Tennant 20M and Noordzee Kotter 52
Smile

Quote:

I rest my case.
I feel bad for ya jleonard and wish they would quit picking on your teak decks screwed into cored decks, so I had an idea....

Watch this. Like a pack of dogs they will come for me and my boat and leave you and yours alone!

Hey guys....I have a STEEL boat with a VOLVO in it and it has a FJORFORD as an anchor. And...I have teak decks from stem to stern, teak in the cockpit, teak on the side decks, even teak covering the deckbox in the bow where we are sitting in the photo. AND, all of this teak is screwed to a STEEL deck!

We shoulda just sunk the piece of crap years ago....but we didn't have time because we've been having so much fun on it including the last six wonderful days aboard. (so I wouldn't trade it even up for any teakless wonder I have seen here.)

Jleoanrd, that will keep them busy and off your back for awhile, ya think?
Attached Thumbnails
Cockpit doors and deck.jpg   Klle Wyck Bow Trio (2).jpg  
Attached Images

Old 07-01-2020, 10:09 PM   #17
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
All that and you let it go grey??? Tsssss sand and apply shiny stuff!
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 06:15 AM   #18
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
We are all happy that Jay's deck passed survey without issue. Clearly the installation process has proven to be problematic and the industry has generally moved away from it. Too imply that boats of that age with that type of teak deck installation, aren't highly susceptible to leaks and coring problems, would be misleading.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 07:14 AM   #19
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by klee wyck View Post
I feel bad for ya jleonard and wish they would quit picking on your teak decks screwed into cored decks, so I had an idea....

Watch this. Like a pack of dogs they will come for me and my boat and leave you and yours alone!

Hey guys....I have a STEEL boat with a VOLVO in it and it has a FJORFORD as an anchor. And...I have teak decks from stem to stern, teak in the cockpit, teak on the side decks, even teak covering the deckbox in the bow where we are sitting in the photo. AND, all of this teak is screwed to a STEEL deck!

We shoulda just sunk the piece of crap years ago....but we didn't have time because we've been having so much fun on it including the last six wonderful days aboard. (so I wouldn't trade it even up for any teakless wonder I have seen here.)

Jleoanrd, that will keep them busy and off your back for awhile, ya think?
Keep it up and you will be voted off the island and reported to the ABYC for not adhering to TF standards......

I think these style teak decks are like Taiwan Trawlers in general.....if they had decent maintenance all along....they are still decent....but because of the method of construction a lack of maintenance takes its toll quick.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 07:18 AM   #20
Guru

City: Oconto, WI
Vessel Name: Best Alternative
Vessel Model: 36 Albin Aft Cabin
Well Klee, The only point you missed to be a true 'lightning rod" is to advocate a single over a double engine( or vice versa).

So far no lightning strikes yet, but the post is young.

pete
Pete Meisinger is offline   Reply With Quote