Old 05-06-2019, 12:23 PM   #1

City: La Conner, WA
Vessel Name: Agnus Dei
Vessel Model: 36' Shin Shing
Teak deck coatings on old trawlers

Hi All,

After deciding I don’t have the time or money to rip up the teak decks, I tried Durabak. We prepped the decks down to sanded wood, cleaned per instructions and put on 2 coats of clear. Looked like a million bucks! After the winter however, I have spots that are opaque and not clear. These are areas that have disbonded from the teak. The 2 coat covering is still there and intact, just not bonded to the deck. It’s still doing it’s job... keeping the water out. We may have made a bad decision going with clear.

What have you used, how did it stick, how long did it last and are you happy with it? Please do not respond with all the reasons I have done the wrong thing in your opinion.... I’ve read every thread on the subject. Hope the picture comes through.

The manufacturer DID say they didn’t know about the teak, because of its oily nature. Can’t hold them responsible.

Dave
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Dave_E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 01:50 PM   #2
Guru

City: Vallejo, California
Vessel Name: Mahalo Moi
Vessel Model: 1986 Grand Banks 42 Classic
Your manufacturer was correct. Teak is full of oils and resins. I’m surprised you got a year before the covering failed. The PO of our boat put a form of Cetol on the decks a couple of years before we took over her care. It held up fairly well, but eventually failed (due to nature of teak). Plus, I personally don’t like the look of teak with a “sealer”. Check out the Cetol brand of products.

I like the look of gray/silver teak. Sanding frequently to maintain the honey color of freshly milled teak will remove too much wood over a short period of time. Maintain the seams and bungs and the deck will outlast the rest of the boat.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑβΕ
Giggitoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 02:52 PM   #3
Guru

City: Szczecin
Vessel Name: Dryade
Vessel Model: Trawler 72
You will certainely said : heretical !!

But we are not fan of the teak, on our last boat we start to...remove it !!
Save, at less, 580kgs at an average height of 1.80 m above the water line.
long-cours.62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 10:08 PM   #4
Veteran Member

City: Benicia, California
Vessel Name: Lucky Star
Vessel Model: Ho Hsing

I have been using the Cetol oil sealer with great results. I use the sealer only on all horizontal surfaces and added a clear coat on the vertical trim pieces. I like the finish and the oiled surfaces are easy to add coats with just a light sanding. I do keep the boat in a covered slip also.
Click image for larger version

Name:	img_3889.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	142.4 KB
ID:	88352Click image for larger version

Name:	img_3858.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	139.4 KB
ID:	88353Click image for larger version

Name:	img_3587.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	105.8 KB
ID:	88354Click image for larger version

Name:	img_3799.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	202.8 KB
ID:	88355Click image for larger version

Name:	img_3800.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	143.7 KB
ID:	88356
Robvald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 12:27 AM   #5
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
I once painted a cast iron and teak timber slat garden seat. Primer, undercoats, 2 top gloss coats. Wow,looked beautiful. Until it all lifted and peeled.
I`m a fan of Deks Olje. And of doing as little violence as possible to teak,just enough to keep it from ridging.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 01:12 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
PMM had an article on cooatingg teak decks with truck bed liner many years ago. I spoke to the owner about 5 years later and he said he had no issues with it and it was holding up well.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 10:31 AM   #7

Vessel Model: Currently Boatless
I use Semco to seal my decks. I like the natural or clear color. It soaks into the teak deck and looks really nice. I problem is I’m only getting about 3 to 4 months out of it and I need to re-coat the areas that are in the sun. Shady areas last much longer.
I just asked some workers what they were using on their hardwood deck at a hotel. They use Bona Decking Oil and say it lasts a year. This deck in in Mexico, lots of sun, heat and wear. Has anyone used Bona Decking Oil on their teak deck? Any suggestions that give a nice look but last longer than Semco?
Taras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 01:25 PM   #8
Guru

City: Trenton
I let Angelina go grey with highlights of Cetol.
alormaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 02:16 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

I just used Semco on my newly refinished teak decks. Since we are in Michigan and the boat is inside half the year I think it will last pretty good.
Old 05-08-2019, 05:50 PM   #10
Guru

City: Narragansett Bay
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36 Classic #715
Any concerns about Cetol or Simco causing the bond between the teak and the caulking to deteriorate?
Cigatoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 06:29 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

I used TDS 440 caulk for the seams. I spoke to TDS support before I sealed the deck. With Semco TDS said to put the sealer on and then wipe it off the caulking right away since it has Mineral Spirits in the Semco. We did as directed and it looks fine but time will tell.
Old 05-08-2019, 07:30 PM   #12
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigatoo View Post
Any concerns about Cetol or Simco causing the bond between the teak and the caulking to deteriorate?
Not that we’ve experienced. We’ve been using Semco for 20 years with no seam issues. Semco is not a magic deck treatment. It does help keep the natural oils in the teak which helps keep the dirt out and preserve the soft grain.
Larry M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 05:11 AM   #13
Guru

City: Szczecin
Vessel Name: Dryade
Vessel Model: Trawler 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigatoo View Post

On our Doggerbank we used a "teak oil'" from Star Brite...it was a big mistake
quickly the seal was deteriorated !
long-cours.62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 01:05 PM   #14

City: North Vancouver
Vessel Name: INFINITY ∞
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 62
Hi Dave,

We use Semco on INFINITY.
It has to be removed and reapplied around every 4 months, so it's a lot of work but we like the look. These teak decks are 18 years old.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0007.jpg   IMG_8907.jpg  
nemier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 01:09 PM   #15
Veteran Member

City: Charlton N.Y.
Vessel Name: Short Handed
Vessel Model: Sundowner 30’
After going through many many hours of scraping, sanding, and routering out the caulk between the strips of teak on the deck and then sanding the surface level I have had very good success with Teak Guard. It goes on like water and can be recoated at any time without any fussiness. Although my boat, a 30’ Sundowner tug/trawler, is in my barn for 8 months of the year, I live in the Northeast, I’ve only had to recoat it once in the last 5 years. It isn’t as pretty as varnish but in my opinion is much prettier than gray. It is not a sealer and when wet it does get dark but seems to dry without a problem. Best of all if you don’t like it you can just stop recoating and let it go to gray without any work.
sahockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 01:44 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Check out my post on thread about Tired Teak Deck.... We live in rainy Alaska and we used SaniTread over our decks. It is a catalyzed product. has the durability of a tire. It has been a couple of years and it is amazingly great!
akflyrod2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 02:15 PM   #17

City: Wimauma
Vessel Name: My Chele
Vessel Model: Mainship Pilot 30
Durabak

Used it on my sailboat. Extremely durable and long lasting. Great nonskid. Followed the directions very carefully and never had any issues. Color was very consistent. Had to work quickly in the Florida heat when putting it down.
shardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 02:41 PM   #18
Guru

City: San Francisco
Vessel Name: Speedy Charlotte
Vessel Model: Beneteau Swift Trawler 44

We use Semco. It needs a fresh coat every 5 months or so. The nice thing is it doesn't flake off or anything, so adding a fresh coat isn't a major project. We simply give the deck a good scrub with the Eco-100 teak cleaner from Teak Decking Systems, which is a non-acidic and environmentally friendly cleaner. Then we put a fresh couple of coats of Semco, which is very thin and is very easy to apply. We use a wide brush to apply, then we wipe it with a tag.

https://www.teakdecking.com/eco-100-...leaner-powder/

When you use the Eco-100, you don't ends up with a fresh new teak surface like you do with the harsh acidic cleaners, but you do end up with a clean enough surface to apply a fresh coat of Semco. And on the plus side, you will enjoy longer life from your teak decking.

You can also mix the different Semco tones to get something that's just right. I think I mixed the Natural and Goldtone 50/50 last time and really liked the result.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0865.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	124.8 KB
ID:	88548
MichaelB1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 04:02 PM   #19

City: Baltimore/Florida
Vessel Name: HeinSite
Vessel Model: Defever 43
We used a product called Tuff Coat. It’s a rubberized paint with non-skid particles. We applied it about 7-8 years ago. It was wonderful! Stopped the leaks immediately. But I think we’ll have to recoat this year. I see some hairline cracks developing where the old grout lines are. Great stuff, totally DIY and one can paint over it if you don’t like the cover.
Dickhein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 06:02 PM   #20

City: Lake City, Mn
Vessel Name: DULCE
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36 Classic
Teak deck

Leave it alone. Let it turn grey. That’s the best footing you can get. No stiff brushing. It further gouges the teak allowing bacteria to grow in the small crevasses caused by brushing. Once or twice a summer, on a bright sunny day, I apply a light mixture of Oxiclean/water, swab it on, let the sun hit it for a few hours then lightly rinse. I’m mean rinsing, not a hose end nozzle sprayer. Just let water run over the deck rinsing the residual Oxiclean. I’ve owned the boat since 2012. My decks are 41 years old without leaks.

I talked with a fellow live aboard this year & they use a light mixture of Johnson’s soap/water, swabbed on then rinsed.
fsarcone is offline   Reply With Quote