Old 12-29-2018, 08:32 AM   #1

City: NYC, NY
Marina to store boat in south florida

I'm looking into keeping my 40 ft boat in south florida for a month or two.
Active captain has hundreds listed, some of the prices are insane and most marinas don't have much in the way of feedback.

Looking for something preferably within 50 miles of Miami or Ft Lauderdale though I could extend out from there a bit. I don't need any frills, just storage, hopefully power and ability to uber to an airport. I may want to eventually base the boat there on a seasonal or yearly basis.

Recommendations?
bobbyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 09:16 AM   #2
Guru

City: Montgomery
Vessel Name: Choices
Vessel Model: 36 Grand Banks Europa
We stay at Ft Meyers Yacht Basin for storage. Fairly inexpensive. Great location, two blocks to resturants, grocery, parts, bars, night life in short skirts.

In fresh water! Good hurricane hole.
Airport 20 miles away.

For me it is an easy trip to keys.

Might look at Manatee Marina. Never been there but lots of boats holed up there.

Stock Island in KW is super nice, lots of amenities. We stayed there on and off six months. Great summer time place.

Read my blog and see pictures, "grandbankschoices".
Choices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 09:40 AM   #3
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville
To store a boat, I’d try Craig’s list. Post a wanted ad and look daily. There are are lot of docks that don’t have boats behind homes. Since your not a live aboard you have more options. Here’s one for $650/month

https://miami.craigslist.org/brw/boa...777823455.html
Larry M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 11:16 AM   #4
Guru

Vessel Name: Alzero
Vessel Model: Hatteras 63' CPMY
How does one pumpout when docked on a canal behind a private home? Is there a pumpout boat that services the canals in Ft Lauderdale or Miami?

BTW, we are currently at Stock Island Marina and really like it so far (one week), it’s very new and very clean, plus everything works including the boat side pumpout. The two bar/restaurants are a bit spendy but the food is good, the beers are cold and the drinks are strong. Also since everyone who works in Key West lives on Stock Island the food in the funky local places is excellent and reasonably priced.
Woodland Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 01:07 PM   #5
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodland Hills View Post
How does one pumpout when docked on a canal behind a private home? Is there a pumpout boat that services the canals in Ft Lauderdale or Miami?

BTW, we are currently at Stock Island Marina and really like it so far (one week), it’s very new and very clean, plus everything works including the boat side pumpout. The two bar/restaurants are a bit spendy but the food is good, the beers are cold and the drinks are strong. Also since everyone who works in Key West lives on Stock Island the food in the funky local places is excellent and reasonably priced.
Stock Island is a favorite of ours. We alternate staying in the heart of Key West with nights at Stock Island.

When docked behind homes, most take advantage of all the municipal marinas with pump outs. Now, on rare occasion, some of these docks have small portable pump outs.

However, there are also commercial pump out services. One example is Marine Waste Management. They'll come to you anywhere in their area. There are others. Here's a link to their site.

Home
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 07:14 PM   #6

City: NYC, NY
If I stay behind somebody's home I don't plan on staying aboard more than a day or two without leaving the dock, so pump out isn't an issue as long as we can pump out at fuel docks.
That being said my wife has expressed her preference to keep the boat at a marina just in case we want to stick around for a few days before heading to airports.
bobbyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 07:13 AM   #7
FF
Guru

"How does one pumpout when docked on a canal behind a private home? Is there a pumpout boat that services the canals in Ft Lauderdale or Miami?"

Don't know about there but here in Ortona the few folks that allow liveaboards have an access to their septic.

The boaters do not EVER put no stink poison in the system, have a macerator in board and a 1 inch hose to dump. Most simply go to the big buck marina 1/2 mile away and pay for a pump out.If they have used chemicals its the only option.

Here in the wilderness , dead boat storage is usually $50 a week , fine till you realize the airport is $100 one way , so the length of stay needs to be factored in.

Folks passing in the Caloosahatchie find it great , for others its a long way to come.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 07:27 AM   #8
Guru

Vessel Name: Alzero
Vessel Model: Hatteras 63' CPMY
Waste Management is a bit expensive. IIRC, it was $.75 a gallon with a $75 minimum charge when we inquired in Ft Lauderdale.
Woodland Hills is offline   Reply With Quote