Talk me outta this boat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
OK, I will try:

1 Dinghy, crane, outboard are all way too small. You can carry at least a 12' with a decent outboard, but you will need to upgrade the crane to hoist it.
2 With 3x360 w solar, you have the capacity to keep up with all of your electrical use, but the 110v fridges will still be a challenge. You should change those out for DC only fridge and freezer ASAP, then you will never worry, and you will find that you only use the Genset to make hot water.
3 that's all I have...sorry
oh, the posted cruising speed of 7 knots is low for that 42' LWL. at 7, you will hardly make a wave, so will get amazing mpg. I cruise at 8 on a 40'LWL and I get ~2 mpg.

Oh yea, the swim grid is way too skinny at only 24". Needs to be at least 36".

The Lehmans are very tried and True. Luggers/John Deere are great, but the Virginia boat is somewhat over powered in my opinion. These 135 hp engines are plenty for our style of cruising. Those Luggers at 225 hp vs the Lehmans 135 hp is just too much power. I had 4-53s on my GB 42 and really like the more full displacement sized engines vs semi planing power engines others opt for.

Cheers Mr. KK

Mr KK enjoy your purchase it’s a Defever.
Defever 44 one of my favorite engine rooms.
A friend has a 50 Defever I think 1988, walk in thru forward and aft full size doors, maybe 7’ overhead engine room clearance ! Powered two Cat 3208 NA 210 hp and Stabilized. The power / cruising speed / fuel burn nailed by Defever NA. IMO
Question , How feasible to truck transport a trawler across Mexico for access to East and West coast trawlers, thought you might have information.

Last edited:
So the engine room is cluttered and messy. In true Defever fashion, though, it is also large enough to raise a family of four down there! It will be an engine room to be proud of in no time.

Captain DJ, rather than talk you out of buying that boat, I think some of us could learn from you when it comes to making the most out of life. I enjoyed that brief description of your adventures in Mexico.

I hope the in-person inspections and surveys go well.

Great rendition drawing on the paravane setup. Why add the cost of a crows nest when you can do a camera setup you can see at the helm and save a few $?. Also keeping additional weight aloft is a good thing.
You found a great boat!
Hollywood

Great rendition drawing on the paravane setup. Why add the cost of a crows nest when you can do a camera setup you can see at the helm and save a few $?. Also keeping additional weight aloft is a good thing.
You found a great boat!
Hollywood

Thank You!
Great idea. It will be better for many reasons to simply rely on two omni-directional UHD cameras. Maybe one with something similar to FLIR technology.
Excellent suggestion.

I drew it that way, mainly because the ideas have been in my head since before cameras got to be so darn great, and inexpensive. Thanks for redirecting my energy into the 21st Century.

You won't like it. It's old, smelly, and the interior is horrendous. You should withdraw your offer immediately... and please pass my number to the broker. :) Seriously, good find.

Looks like a nice one for a nice price. Beyond the boat, I love your plan. Say hey when you’re up here in the PNW!

Noticed the boat you were buying is no longer pending on YW and back on the market. What happened?:eek:

Update to all on what happened:

My wife has a highly critical eye and she found numerous areas cracks in the Awlgrip and some soft spots on the boat deck. A whole lot of stress cracks and even rotten wood around a door.
We paid for a mechanical survey and I think it came back as a C+ at best. I will be glad to share it with you if you really want to see it.
The saloon and stateroom cabin soles are painted plywood with pretty dirty carpet. That really gets my Admiral upset.
No stabilizers, few spares, no thrusters, no AIS, no rudder angle indicators, not even a piece of tape top dead center on the wheels...this made it where the Sea Trial Captain (with 100,000 nautical miles experience) could not bring her in bow first in a 20 foot wide berth with no wind, cross current or traffic. That told me she was NOT really ready.

Maybe I expected her to be like Arctic Traveller another 1986 DeFever RPH that sold last year, that also belonged to a retired cruise ship chief mechanical engineer.

Today I am driving up to fly to Long Beach from Tucson to see my daughter and have an appointment on Sunday to see an even bigger DeFever 60 in Ventura that according to the broker ¨is as clean and organized as he has ever seen¨ and has just gone through a $500k refit from 2016-2019. https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1979/defever-flush-deck-3657918/

I hope this helps. We really enjoyed La Paz and will definitely go there when we do get our next boat.

Best regards,

Captain DJ

PS: Rich (listing agent) says he has two full price offers now after I passed on her. She is a fine boat, and a lot of boat for the money. My admiral may have had her lifetime supply of leaks and may have expected more...I was only about 80% there on this one. Had she loved it, I would have likely went ahead with it. Logistically, it is in a great spot for us right now. Good luck to the eventual buyers. Alon and Rich at La Paz Cruisers Supply, Management & Brokerage are excellent to work with, so is Rich´s better half Lori.

Last edited:
Update to all on what happened:

My wife has a highly critical eye and she found numerous areas cracks in the Awlgrip and some soft spots on the boat deck. A whole lot of stress cracks and even rotten wood around a door.
We paid for a mechanical survey and I think it came back as a C+ at best. I will be glad to share it with you if you really want to see it.
The saloon and stateroom cabin soles are painted plywood with pretty dirty carpet. That really gets my Admiral upset.
No stabilizers, few spares, no thrusters, no AIS, no rudder angle indicators, not even a piece of tape top dead center on the wheels...this made it where the Sea Trial Captain (with 100,000 nautical miles experience) could not bring her in bow first in a 20 foot wide berth with no wind, cross current or traffic. That told me she was NOT really ready.

Maybe I expected her to be like Arctic Traveller another 1986 DeFever RPH that sold last year, that also belonged to a retired cruise ship chief mechanical engineer.

Today I am driving up to fly to Long Beach from Tucson to see my daughter and have an appointment on Sunday to see an even bigger DeFever 60 in Ventura that according to the broker ¨is as clean and organized as he has ever seen¨ and has just gone through a $500k refit from 2016-2019. https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1979/defever-flush-deck-3657918/

I hope this helps. We really enjoyed La Paz and will definitely go there when we do get our next boat.

Best regards,

Captain DJ

PS: Rich (listing agent) says he has two full price offers now after I passed on her. She is a fine boat, and a lot of boat for the money. My admiral may have had her lifetime supply of leaks and may have expected more...I was only about 80% there on this one. Had she loved it, I would have likely went ahead with it. Logistically, it is in a great spot for us right now. Good luck to the eventual buyers. Alon and Rich at La Paz Cruisers Supply, Management & Brokerage are excellent to work with, so is Rich´s better half Lori.

This one looks very nice. Not very many photos for a 60’ boat though. Good luck.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom