Taking Off Adhesive Residue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

English Bluff

Vessel Name
Chester
Vessel Make
Prairie/29
I'm replacing old boat lettering with new. Easy enough getting off the letters themselves with a bit of heat and a razor, but the remaining adhesive residue is much more stubborn. Today I used acetone, but no real success. Any products available or other suggestions out there?

I've used Goof Off with success to do exactly what you're asking.

Thanks Paul. I've tried Goof Off. Unless there is an industrial strength version of it I'm not aware of, it doesn't even put a dent in the adhesive.

Here is the product and technique demonstrated that I use.

It's a 3M product called an eraser wheel

I've had success with WD-40!

Eucalyptus oil.

I've had success with WD40 as well but went straight to the power wheel when the OP mentioned no success with the "Goof Off" product in post #3.

Never heard of eucalyptus oil for this Bruce, can you elaborate on it a bit?

Craig, Eucalyptus oil, distilled from eucalyptus leaves, is commercially available in supermarkets and well accepted here as a solvent for adhesives, and general cleaning. I`m sure it would be useless on epoxy, but for household things, like adhesive labels, it readily removes both label and remaining adhesive which comes off by rubbing with oil on a small area of a cloth. Checking, I saw online it is regarded as an "industrial solvent",whatever that means. Most households here would have a bottle. It may not work on everything, but would be my first choice on adhesive residues and does not harm the surface. Smells nice too.

I've not tried it myself but have been told that Ronson lighter fluid works very well for that.

Eucalyptus oil.

Craig, Eucalyptus oil, distilled from eucalyptus leaves, is commercially available in supermarkets and well accepted here as a solvent for adhesives, and general cleaning. I`m sure it would be useless on epoxy, but for household things, like adhesive labels, it readily removes both label and remaining adhesive which comes off by rubbing with oil on a small area of a cloth. Checking, I saw online it is regarded as an "industrial solvent",whatever that means. Most households here would have a bottle. It may not work on everything, but would be my first choice on adhesive residues and does not harm the surface. Smells nice too.

Koala bums are equally effective. The fur helps break up the adhesive.

3M also make an adhesive remover. I've also had good luck using Goo B Gone on truck lettering.

You could use the 3M eraser.But that only really works if the vinyl is still there.I use lacquer thinner. Try to find slow dry thinner if you can.soak a rag with it.Keep an area wet ahead of your work.It will come off without much effort using plastic razor blades. Or you can use a 2 or 3 inch plastic putty knife. The main thing is keeping the area wet.The 3M solvent and acetone just won't do the job.Here is a pic of the eraser.

ForumRunner_20140605_211529.jpg

Sent from my Galaxy SIII using speech to text.so some words may not be perfect.but it's easier.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20140605_212557.jpg
    ForumRunner_20140605_212557.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 84
3M Adhesive Remover is the best solution (pun intended) I've used.

Not so good that the eraser thingy hasn't got my interest, but good.

Odorless Mineral Spirits works really well on nasty fender that go gooey. Might be worth a try.

Heat (hair dryer strength) followed by MEK is the prep to remove attachments to inflatables and prepare to re glue.

Let us know what you find works for you.

“Spray on carburetor cleaner” with Toluene in it. NAPA auto stores. Wear rubber gloves. Spray on rag. Wipe adhesive off. Be careful to not soak gel coat for too long – it can get damaged – keep dry rags or roll of good quality paper towels handy to soon remove any excess on surface. After adhesive removed and dry surface... buff surface back up with compound and then a good wax.

I'm afraid you're going to find that even after the adhesive is gone, there will be a ghost image left behind. It will take time but that will eventually fade away.

Other earlier threads had me using Easyoff oven cleaner, now that's what I use in the fiberglass shower surround for spring deep clean.

I just used Acetone. A boat detailing guy told me about it. Worked great. Once I'd done that, he managed to somehow buff out the shadows of two previous names. He didn't tell me the secret on that one (although it's probably just having the right equipment and some hard work.)

Thanks so much to all the suggestions. If I try all these formulas I'll have the cleanest boat in the marina. Tried some aerosol graffitti remover from NAPA today without success. A little more acetone, but again with minimal effect.

My wife said that her dad used to use Ronson lighter fluid to get gum out of her hair (...that's a whole other thread. Thanks DCBD). Might be worth a try. Goo Gone? Maybe. I'll see if I can find that 3M wheel thing (thanks Spraygun and CPseudonym).

And I'm not sure where I can find a koala (thanks Northern Spy). We have a Border Collie, so I'm thinkin'...

Or you could've just hired a local sign shop to do the entire job for you! Everything from a selection of custom designs to removal of the old and installation of the new. (I'm in the business).

Last edited:
Don't bother with acetone if the temp is over 75 degrees.It will just evaporate to quick. If the letters are gone and it just adhesive.Don't bother with the 3M wheel. Get some slow drying lacquer thinner.and some plastic scrapers like these.it will go very quick. Then you can buff it out.it will look nice.compound only.decals then wax on top.good luck.

ForumRunner_20140606_194031.jpg

ForumRunner_20140606_194139.jpg

Sent from my Galaxy SIII using speech to text.so some words may not be perfect.but it's easier.

The problem is everything mentioned so far works. It just depends on what the adhesive is composed off and how long it's been on the boat.

For example, I just used acetone today to remove lettering adhesive and the air temp. was in the high 80s and the hull was in full sun. With a microfiber rag and pouring the acetone right on the rag the adhesive wiped of just fine.

Some times it's just trial and error to find what will work in your case.

Last edited:
Lacquer thinners is ok on painted finishes?

0003700043516_500X500.jpg

This will take it off along with the wax in the area you scrub. After it's off, wax the area. Good luck.

Last edited:
I have the same issue trying to remove the old adhesive from the double-sided tape that fixed a sunglasses holder to the inside of my car door - not needed now as I have self-tinters. Anyway, I have tried all the usual, including acetone, so I googled it, and one fellow who encounters it a lot recommended lighter fluid - same as we use to fill the gas lighters on the boat, I guess. Have to wait till at the boat to get the fill bottle to try it however, so no feedback yet. Anyone else used this..?

So you're saying it was a no go on the eucalyptus oil and a koala derrière Peter?

Not exactly…I couldn't lay my hands right then on a Koala, Craig…so some unfinished business there...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom