Takacat Inflatable Tenders

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Eagle Pursuit

Vessel Name
Pursuit
Vessel Make
Transpac Eagle 32
We are thinking about a new Takacat 260 or 300 for our tender on our Bayliner 288. We like the portability, light weight and quick setup features because we don’t have a davit system nor do we want the tender on the swim platform while we cruise across Lake Michigan.

Does anyone have any experience with using a Takacat as a short trip tender? We would take it to the beach, nearby harbors or just general fair weather sight seeing.

I’m going to match it up with a Mercury 4 HP 4 stroke which falls right in the middle of recommended motors.

Thanks for any opinions.

I do not see any advantages over a comparable inflatable. 8’6” is pretty small for two people. I started with a Bombard that was 8’6” in my early days. It was adequate and it was what I could afford nothing wrong with that. The Takacat looks like a wet ride, something to keep in mind. I am not knocking the Takacat, just don’t see any advantages unless it’s a price thing. I would find the wet ride unacceptable in our cold PNW waters.

We bought the longer version, 14 feet, and a 20 HP engine. We have not had a chance to use it yet. Based on everything I read and watched I believe that it is going to be a good tender. The design looks like it will keep you dry, even in rougher water. You can beach them because they do have extra material on the bottom but that doesn’t mean you do not have to be careful. Easy to exit and enter when beached due to it’s design.

The smaller versions would be easier to set up and store. We chose the longer version because we will be able to use it for other adventures.

I purchased through the company out of Seattle. He is very responsive and easy to work with.

I will updated once I get a chance to use.

I bought the 260 a few months ago. It will be a backup to a 16 foot aluminum boat. I plan on putting an electric motor on it. I specifically wanted a boat I could easily carry above the tideline. I also love how it is self bailing. A pleasant surprise was how well it rowed-a lot less resistance on the water vs the monohull. At the speeds of an electric motor, I doubt it will be much of a wet ride. This is not a fast/distance boat, but will work for 90% of how I used my 10 foot rib with 9.9 outboard.

Never seen a tacacat but I’ve been on some thunder cats in Australia which look to be the same thing rebranded for the US. At least the Australian versions were Pretty awesome little boats but they were running hopped up 20-30hp outboards and would do about 50mph also seen a hopped up 30 to over 60 hp on one and it would do over 70, and would turn in the length of themselves at speed and they could handle about any sea state you could throw at them, the do surf racing with them and they can literally fly when they hit bigger waves. As far as I know they are more of a race boat. I don’t know how practical they would be being underpowered. The power is what seemed to give the the ability to really go somewhere in the rougher conditions, kinda seems like taking a cigarette boat and dropping some 60hp 4cylinder layman’s in them. Possible yes but takes all the stability out of it when it’s not on plane. Although I don’t know the tacacat personally so I may be wrong on that but I defintly see a very very close relationship between the two. Look up thundercat racing and you will see what I mean.

I’ve met 2 people at my marina with Whaly tenders. They love them to say the least. I looked them up online and they sure look interesting.

I've had the 260 Go on a past boat.
The big advantages are
1. the extreme light weight, I could easily lift it onto the roof.
2. the "paddle board" style inflatable floor, really stiffens the boat up nicely.
3. they row well, most unusual for an inflatable.
That said the build quality is average at best. The material they use in the strakes under the hulls changes into a sticky mess after some exposure to the sun.

We have a Takacat 280. It is what it says on the tin: lightweight, stable and easy to set up. We paired it with an ePropulsion Spirit 1.0 plus and we love being able to ghost around in the early hours and not wake everyone in the mooring up. It is somewhat of a wet ride in chop.

Back
Top Bottom