Old 09-07-2016, 06:59 AM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinped View Post
Just found out recently that nordhavn does not own,or have any financial interest in the actual building process.They are merely distributors of the line.Most are built by a company named Ta Shing,which is under contract for the builds with PAE,but is privately owned.

TA SHING YACHT BUILDING CO., LTD.

Welcome to Nordhavn.com - Power Thats Oceans Apart
User915 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 09:18 AM   #62
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
"Somehow, Volvo is picking up a lot of builders. Most still offer other options but some seem to have signed exclusive deals."

Nothing new , when I was boat building in the 70's Volvo always has the lowest cost engines for OEM purchase.

AS long as Volvo did enough advertising , a Volvo powered boat could be sold , and saving a couple of grand was nice for the builder.
Well, the lake we lived on had a lot of Volvo I/O's and they performed well and had excellent service. I attribute that to the dealers who were very good. These dealers had sold all that were on the lake so knew what engines and drives were out there that they needed to keep parts for. In that situation, Volvo was a good option. However, when cruising from port to port, state to state, country to country, it's a very different story. I know of someone who has had significant issues recently with a Prestige with IPS. Yes, some problems with boat construction and some with the engines, but the biggest single problem is the dealer and their mechanics. They don't fix the simplest of things, so definitely can't handle the engines and drives. Unfortunately, that's not isolated. So, put me on a small lake with excellent service and they're fine, but put me anywhere else in the world cruising and no thanks.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 05:15 PM   #63
Guru

City: DC
Vessel Name: Carolena II
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 32/34
Sorry for the thread creap, but I think one reason Nordic Tug initially switched to volvo was due to the size engine they needed that met Tier 3 specs, which intially Cummins could not provide. Not sure why they are still going that route, except that it may be becuase they now have a relationship and the tooling for the engine beds is already done. Personally, I'd pay a bit more for cummins just based on my experience plus parts support.

Now back to your regularly scheduled programing . . .
Carolena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 05:31 PM   #64
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolena View Post
Sorry for the thread creap, but I think one reason Nordic Tug initially switched to volvo was due to the size engine they needed that met Tier 3 specs, which intially Cummins could not provide. Not sure why they are still going that route, except that it may be becuase they now have a relationship and the tooling for the engine beds is already done. Personally, I'd pay a bit more for cummins just based on my experience plus parts support.

Now back to your regularly scheduled programing . . .
Volvo does have their fans among builders and owners. They're respected by some people I know in Europe. If they were the only choice and it was the boat I wanted, I'd still buy it, just go in with my eyes wide open to what I was taking on. And, I'd find a high volume Volvo shipyard.

The other brands are just what most of us feel are the "safe" choices. There really aren't a lot of Volvo users on the site. Primarily those with IPS systems and we were a Volvo I/O user until 2012.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 10:49 PM   #65
Guru

City: Seattle
Comments were made regarding the quality of the metallurgy of Chinese pumps, motors and components. Would better assurance for quality be given if all these components were CCS classed?
Mako is offline   Reply With Quote