Old 10-15-2018, 05:46 PM   #41

City: Lanoka Harbor
Vessel Name: Sea Star
Vessel Model: 1987 MT sundeck
I purchased my first boat in Clearwater fl. I live in New Jersey. I hired a captain to help me bring her up. I learned a whole lot from him. But the best things I learned is the confidence I got when learning how to navigate with his iPad and the Navionics program. I got multiple Garminís up and down. But whichever I use the iPad/Navionics program is with me. When traveling I lay out courses, marinas to stay at, restaurants, shopping...... all while resting at anchor for the night
Wonít leave home without it! Seriously

Donpollosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 05:51 PM   #42

Need to know.....
Taking off this coming Saturday to Florida. I’m thinking about (weather permitting)leaving cape May to OCean city Maryland. Can’t find much info after O.C. If anyone is familiar heading south I would like to know if anchorage s are good for the rest of the way to ground zero. Ty in advance

Old 10-15-2018, 06:03 PM   #43

City: Chicago
Vessel Name: Oma
Vessel Model: Manatee
Use two ipads...connected via wifi to the rest of the boat

Brought Oma up the Mississippi and Illinois +++ to chicago. Primary navigation was using two Ipads - both using the internal GPS of the AIS. Around Lake Michigan I use iNavx On the waterways I used Aqua Map (Integrated Active Captain and the NA Charts were about 1/4 of the price.)
On the rivers One ipad was set to AIS, the other to Aqua.

On Lake Michigan Generally use both in iNavx, since it integrates AIS on the display. The 2nd iPad is generally used as a longer distance/wider view.

I am working to get the rest of the boat to talk to the iPads - the data wire was cut on the Depth/Speed , but will reconnect and should have that displaying on the iPads next season along with the autopilot and fluxgate. Not sure why I would use anything else (Life Proof cases and connected to the ships power)

I am still trying to figure out where to mount permanently - currently they get secured on the old MFD that that only uses the GPS coming through a wired connection to the 0183 network, with very poor maps, so it is basically a paperweight

I am thinking of mounting them overhead so looking at them is a look up instead of a look down...Low priority winter project....

Just my .02 worth
Ftbinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 06:31 PM   #44
Guru

City: Upstate,SC
Vessel Name: Dutch Barge Caroliner
Vessel Model: Selway-Fisher 45' Teign Luxe Motor
You guys have me looking at tablet computers now. I may have to buy a cheapo android to test the waters. Then move on to the more lux models with more features, doodads, and gizmos.

ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 11:39 AM   #45

Ben. You won’t get let down. Navionics’s has a simple $14.99 download. It’s easy to use and one that I started with. The next year I upgraded to around $50.00 a year. And it nice to be able to plan a nice trip from home.
Old 10-16-2018, 11:40 AM   #46
Guru

City: Quebec
Vessel Name: Bleuvet
Vessel Model: Custom Built
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben2go View Post
You guys have me looking at tablet computers now. I may have to buy a cheapo android to test the waters. Then move on to the more lux models with more features, doodads, and gizmos.

My comment may seem stupid but if looking to a cheap android tablet be sure it has GPS, some does not.

L
Lou_tribal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 12:44 PM   #47
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donpollosco View Post
Ben. You wonít get let down. Navionicsís has a simple $14.99 download. Itís easy to use and one that I started with. The next year I upgraded to around $50.00 a year. And it nice to be able to plan a nice trip from home.

Sounds like a good place to start.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou_tribal View Post
My comment may seem stupid but if looking to a cheap android tablet be sure it has GPS, some does not.

L

Thanks for the heads up. I noticed that last night when I was browsing tabs.

My 15 years old clued me into the tabs reference. When I was his age, tabs was a slang term for pills.

Old 10-17-2018, 06:53 AM   #48
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet PY/SP
I have been using Garmin Blue Chart on my older IPad for a few years and it seems OK. I have liked the easy integration with Active Captain, but I havenít used it since the Garmin/AC buyout. Is it still the same?

Is Navionics better?
cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 08:51 AM   #49
Valued Technical Contributor

City: Litchfield, Ct
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airstream345 View Post
It sure would be nice to see iPads (tablets) replace MFDs with better NMEA and Radar integrations. I supposed however that's not in the best interests of the major MFD companies.

There are two problems with using an iPad or tablet as the display for a chart plotter: visibility in direct sunlight and water resistance. Both of these are less applicable for a pilot house installation.

David
DavidM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 09:29 AM   #50
TF Site Team

City: Westerly, RI
Vessel Name: N/A
Vessel Model: 1999 Mainship 350 Trawler
I have no electronics at my lower helm. I use an iPad with a Garmin GPS app. I can use a Raymarine App to display mirror from the Display on the upper helm onto the iPad as well.

My wife uses the iPad as a secondary GPS for navigation.
Shrew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 12:45 PM   #51
Guru

City: Bethesda, MD
Vessel Name: Solstice
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 47 Eastbay FB
A comment from a rep at the recent boat show said if you like the Navionics app better buy it now. Supposedly Garmin is about to "do something" to it in the near future...
Old 10-17-2018, 02:55 PM   #52
Guru

City: Queensland
Vessel Model: Milkraft 60 converted timber trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donpollosco View Post
Ben. You wonít get let down. Navionicsís has a simple $14.99 download. Itís easy to use and one that I started with. The next year I upgraded to around $50.00 a year. And it nice to be able to plan a nice trip from home.
No subscription required

https://webapp.navionics.com/#@6&key=zqsfDsr%7De%5C
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 04:01 PM   #53

City: Gustavus, AK
Vessel Name: Troll Hunter
Vessel Model: Allweather
I have used charting apps on android devices for quite a while. One thing I haven't seen mentioned is use in enclosed wheelhouses and good connection to satellites. The built in gps receivers often do work inside but I wonder about accuracy when they might not be receiving as many satellites as you would outside.
ak-guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 04:47 PM   #54
Valued Technical Contributor

City: Litchfield, Ct
Unless it is a steel boat, fiberglass is quite transparent to the signals involved in GPS communication.

I did have a problem with getting a GPS fix while on a steel ferry even sitting near a window. Steel does block the signals.

David
DavidM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 04:49 PM   #55
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by ak-guy View Post
I have used charting apps on android devices for quite a while. One thing I haven't seen mentioned is use in enclosed wheelhouses and good connection to satellites. The built in gps receivers often do work inside but I wonder about accuracy when they might not be receiving as many satellites as you would outside.

I've only used a Bad Elf dongle on my iPad. My experience in the pilothouse is that it can take a few minutes to establish good satellite connections, but that once established it generally maintains good connections and accuracy. Not as good as my Raymarine plotter with the 125 GPS antenna, but pretty good.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 07:23 PM   #56

City: Chesapeake Bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoWhat View Post
Ipad/Bad Elf with Navionics is primary for entering new harbors with numerous turns, or for changing destination quickly. Secondary at all other times. Don't leave it in the sun. It simply shuts down when overheated.

What is Bad Elf?
ChesapeakeGem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 08:00 PM   #57

City: Boynton Beach, FL
We use an iPad and a T-box for a transducer with Navionics running on the iPad. It works great because the Vexilar T-box is a transducer wired to a little black box (the T-box part). The black box sends out a network signal that you can connect the iPad to (or any mobile device). This way you can run Navionics on your iPad plus have a live feed on depth and sonar... essentially turns your ipad into a full fledged fish finder and chartplotter for 5% of the price. Vexilar t-box is about $150 and Navionics for iPad is about $50.
cruiserChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 11:11 PM   #58
Guru

City: Jupiter, Florida
Vessel Name: Black Eyed Susan
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 42' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiserChick View Post
We use an iPad and a T-box for a transducer with Navionics running on the iPad. It works great because the Vexilar T-box is a transducer wired to a little black box (the T-box part). The black box sends out a network signal that you can connect the iPad to (or any mobile device). This way you can run Navionics on your iPad plus have a live feed on depth and sonar... essentially turns your ipad into a full fledged fish finder and chartplotter for 5% of the price. Vexilar t-box is about $150 and Navionics for iPad is about $50.
Do you have the T-Box mounted internal/inside the hull or external on the transom? I can't find any info on the hull thickness limitation of the internal mount T-Box install.
firstbase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 07:53 AM   #59
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Quote:
Originally Posted by ak-guy View Post

Our several tablets and the laptop in the saloon always seem to be spot-on compared to our built-in plotter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesapeakeGem View Post
What is Bad Elf?
A plug-in GPS product, for use with devices that don't have built-in GPS sensors. There are others, too...

-Chris
Old 10-18-2018, 01:14 PM   #60
Guru

I have an older version of this Global Sat BU-353 receiver. I used in on my windows PC. They are quick and responsive to pick up satellites. This newer version should be even better. I don't know if they can be adapted to use a micro USB port found on most tablets and phones.

https://www.amazon.com/GlobalSat-BU-...language=en_US