Old 10-10-2018, 12:38 AM   #21
Guru

City: Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Escapade
Vessel Model: 50` US Navy Utility trawler conversion
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airstream345 View Post
Samsung 10" with Navionics and Garmin Active Captain (Helm can slave the display of our Garmin 9" GPSMAP when up top or down below).
Does AC work ok in slave mode? I'm quite keen to get a new Fantom radar along with a new MFD, and am curious about mirroring the MFD on my tablet. Don't want to spring for a second MFD but want an integrated system at each helm station. I was reading the materials from Garmin and it seems like it's feasible.

Jeff F is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 01:22 AM   #22
Guru

City: Seattle, WA USA
Vessel Name: FORTITUDE
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 54-8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff F View Post
Does AC work ok in slave mode? I'm quite keen to get a new Fantom radar along with a new MFD, and am curious about mirroring the MFD on my tablet. Don't want to spring for a second MFD but want an integrated system at each helm station. I was reading the materials from Garmin and it seems like it's feasible.
Seems to work great. I only use it when I leave the lower helm (FB, etc) but yeah I can view and control the MFD from the tablet.

Airstream345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 07:02 AM   #23
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBreeze View Post
How many are using a tablet as their primary GPS Navigation tool? If so have you found any significant limitations?

We only use the tablets as back-up. Partly due to potential battery issues (easily solvable), but more so because of screen size (even 10" is too small for my tastes) and sometimes because of difficult visibility in high sunlight, even under our hardtop.

They make good back-ups for us, though. FWIW, we typically use Plan2Nav (C-Map vector charts), MX Mariner (NOAA raster charts), and we're experimenting with Transas iSailor... although that last seems to have a bug that I've reported and that they're (maybe) working on. Of those, MX Mariner incorporates ActiveCaptain markers.

We also use TimeZero on a laptop in the saloon; the 15" screen is even better than our main plotter sizewise and it uses the same charts/GUI as our plotter, too... but we haven't bothered to run that on the bridge since it's a bit cumbersome and we don't have a great flat space for it.

-Chris
Old 10-10-2018, 08:38 AM   #24

City: Rockville, MD.
Vessel Name: Libra
Vessel Model: Island Gypsy 36 Trawler
This summer I travel 2600 miles using Raymarine eS-128 and eS-98 series displays and as a back up windows base laptop with usb GPS antenna and Coastal Explorer software. I had my android tablet on stand by just in case, but nothing happens. If your boat equipped with autopilot you mast have compatible chart-plotter. I love raymarine equipment works great with Navionics, C-Map and dock to dock auto routing is a major feature that saves a boat load of time. IMHO.
Vadim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 10:32 AM   #25
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vadim View Post
If your boat equipped with autopilot you mast have compatible chart-plotter.

Ah! Yes! I forgot to mention that's another reason we don't use tablets as primary; don't have a way to sync any of those with our autopilot.

-Chris
Old 10-10-2018, 10:48 AM   #26
Veteran Member

City: Montreal
Vessel Name: Stinkpot
Vessel Model: 1985 Hatteras MY 48 - 6V92TA
Did anybody tried the iPad Pro? They enhanced the brightness on that particular model and I've heard that readability in sunlight (maybe not direct) is better than it used to be. They also added an antireflection coating on the screen.
RichardM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 11:34 AM   #27
Guru

City: Portland, OR
Vessel Name: Our Heaven
Vessel Model: 1997 4800 Navigator
Acer A500

Ten year old tablet with Navionics but the thing refuses to die, even after I left it in the rain over night. Have used for back up and primary. It's slow but does the job.
“Try something you could fail at. We all do things that we can comfortably achieve, but rarely do we set the high bar one notch above what we think we can clear, and that’s what’s driving me on here.” Lieutenant Colonel Alastair Edward Henry Worsley MBE (4 October 1960 – 24 January 2016) Explorer
bshillam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 03:38 PM   #28
Guru

City: Huntersville NC
Vessel Name: Abeona
Vessel Model: Marine Trader 47’ Sundeck
The airlines have gone to tablets. My airline uses iPads. It’s been wonderful not lugging a 35 pound flight case around. All our our charts and manuals are on it, viturtually no paper onboard.

I’ll be using an iPad in our boat.
Steve91T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 03:47 PM   #29
Guru

City: Huntersville NC
Vessel Name: Abeona
Vessel Model: Marine Trader 47’ Sundeck
General aviation as well
Steve91T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 12:54 PM   #30

City: Port Canaveral
Ipad connected to Verizon cell phone service with the Garmin blue charts app (now know as active captain). Has everything right on it. I keep a garmin glo Bluetooth for back up location services for the iPad, and use my boat’s old garmin system only as a back up.
jameshalpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 01:17 PM   #31
Veteran Member

City: Yarrow Bay, WA
Vessel Name: SHASA III
Vessel Model: Transworld 40 Sundeck
I started out using my iPad as a back-up to my Garmin GPSMAP-942xs, but for a couple of years now, I've been using my iPad Pro 12", running iNavX with Navionics charts. I like the larger presentation and the Navionics charts have more readability & detail here in the Salish Sea waters, IMHO. I have the NOAA charts loaded, but seldom use them. AIS is presented on the Garmin and is available on the iPad, via WiFi.

I use a removable sunshade when needed, and plug the power cord into a USB port on the bridge. The bridge has a Sunbrella top, so I never experience loss of signal. I also appreciate the ability to sit in the main salon or at home while setting-up or altering waypoints and courses.

So, the Garmin has become the back-up and I keep it in the radar overlay mode, with the iPad as primary. Also carry paper charts, but they haven't seen the light of day for several years.
Old 10-15-2018, 01:22 PM   #32

City: Centreville, VA
Works fine.

I have navigated the Chesapeake bay for 8 years using Navionics on a Google Nexus 10 tablet and later a Google Nexus 9 tablet, running in parallel with a Garmin Oregon Handheld navigation device for comparison, and later a fixed chart plotter already installed on my new-to-me boat.

They agreed the whole time except for one 3 minute period where I suspect I lost a satellite and could not see enough of them for an accurate fix.

For that 3 min, the chartplotter dead reckoned, but the nav program jumped me 5 miles off and put me over land. No worries! I could see land on both sides of the bay and was piloting as my main nav method anyway.

My conclusions:
1. Over 8 years testing, 3 minutes of bad data is sufficiently reliable.

2. Nav programs on good COTS hardware are as accurate as chartplotters.

3. NOTA BENE: Your experience with other hardware and other waters may vary.

4. Conclusion: These machines are your helpful advisors, and nothing more. Bad data produces bad advice; they can't tell the difference. You are still the ultimate authority on your boat and bear the responsibility of knowing exactly where you are at all times, regardless.
dacap06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 01:23 PM   #33

City: Tel aviv
I use the navionic in my iPad. It is a perfect solution
Drjsegev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 01:36 PM   #34

City: Salt Spring Island
Vessel Name: Twilight
Vessel Model: Permaglass Sedan
Quote:
How many are using a tablet as their primary GPS Navigation tool? If so have you found any significant limitations?
I use an older iPad Air with GPS chip and Navionics, in a Poort enclosure connected to a cigarette lighter dash outlet, converted to USB. I take it up top and hang it vertically for better sun tolerance and readability. No issues ever.

Old 10-15-2018, 02:43 PM   #35
Guru

City: New England and Canada to Florida
Vessel Name: Tadhana
Vessel Model: Helmsman 38 Pilothouse
We have had an iPad with built in GPS running Navionics in parallel for 4 years, and over 16,000 nautical miles. This summer we were in the Rideau Canal and lakes, St. Lawrence Seaway and Chambly canal. It was our primary chartplotter, as we did not have Canadian charts for Coastal Explorer. Once we returned to the US I noticed we are relying on it even more. I always plot a route in Coastal Explorer but use the auto route function to time my approach to bridges and locks.
tadhana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 02:58 PM   #36

City: Va Beach
Vessel Name: SeaShell
Vessel Model: 1974 Marine Trader 34 Sedan
After reading all the posts here I decided to make my iPad my primary GPS Chartplotter. I have run iNav-x for years but on the advice of many just switched to Navionics. What an improvement. Very happy with this set-up! Thanks for all the feedback and advice.
SeaBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 03:09 PM   #37
Veteran Member

City: Bohemia Bay
Vessel Name: Sugar
Vessel Model: Vripack 15m
One downside...

On our last boat (33ft. express) I searched for a back-up to the dated electronics installed on the boat when we purchased it (2017). I came across the Galaxy View with a massive 18.4" touch screen that was surprisingly daylight readable (not so much in direct sun). At the time it was on clearance at Best Buy for $380! I should have bought more. Samsung discontinued the model. They have a 17" replacement model soon to be released.

https://www.androidauthority.com/sam...ew-2-2-901992/

It has built in GPS and Wi-Fi. I added Navionics app and was off and running. It was relay amazing and quickly became my main electronic nav aid. Never a glitch running the entire Chesapeake Bay all season.

When we purchased our new (to us) trawler (8/2018) in Ft. Lauderdale, I brought the tablet aboard for our trip north to the Chesapeake. The boat has 2 completely separate Nobeltec computer systems ($20k+ when new) and I would put the Tablet system on par. Exception being the radar interface with the Nobeltec. We basically ran each of the 2 radars (diff. ranges) on the 2 computer systems and the Tablet doing the nav/chart plotting. We ran offshore from Port everglades to Charleston, then inside. Never missed a beat and kept us off the bottom.

Now, one downside that I have found using a tablet/app system, is that a lot of other people are using it too. In an area like the Chesapeake Bay where a lot of boaters are transiting between the same origins/destinations, using the auto route function of the app generates the same route to all users. This is essentially creating "roadways" on the water that most users follow. I know that channels are essentially water roadways, but I am talking about transiting across the bay or between major channels. As an example, auto routing between Baltimore Harbor and the Elk river will generate a route out of the Patapsco to the East of Hart Miller up to Pooles Island before joining the ship channel north. My experience on crowded days is that everyone is following the exact same routes. At trawler speed it is a lot more noticeable getting closely passed by planning speed boats. I have found that by changing the "boat settings" to have a significantly deeper draft will generate a less traveled route.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1ADA027B-806D-4529-8ADB-345FA9A63FDF.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	118.8 KB
ID:	81900   Click image for larger version

Name:	PB210005.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	125.9 KB
ID:	81901  
Gotwex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 03:14 PM   #38
Veteran Member

City: Yarrow Bay, WA
Vessel Name: SHASA III
Vessel Model: Transworld 40 Sundeck
Quote:
After reading all the posts here I decided to make my iPad my primary GPS Chartplotter. I have run iNav-x for years but on the advice of many just switched to Navionics. What an improvement. Very happy with this set-up! Thanks for all the feedback and advice.
Which App are you using? What are the improvements compared to iNavX?

I'm presently using the Navionics 2XG charts in iNavX...is the charts update cost similar in the Navionics App (usually around $49 with Fugawi)?

Thanks
Old 10-15-2018, 03:27 PM   #39

City: St Louis
Vessel Name: Seasoned
Vessel Model: Island Gypsy 32
Since Irma blewout all of the electronics on my new boat, I utilized my iPad running Navionics with Raymarine WiFi chartplotter/sonar to overlay sonar and depth for a 1400 trek from Goodland FL to Green Turtle Bay. They worked flawlessly.
Raybo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 04:52 PM   #40
Guru

City: Seattle, WA USA
Vessel Name: FORTITUDE
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 54-8
It sure would be nice to see iPads (tablets) replace MFDs with better NMEA and Radar integrations. I supposed however that's not in the best interests of the major MFD companies.

Airstream345 is offline   Reply With Quote