Ta Shing Trawlers?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I had an 80s Taiwan Trawler as my first cruiser. I don't know that yard but it seemed there was a fair amount of commonality. Weak points were resins used on bottoms (blisters) and balsa core in decks getting moisture from penetrations, especially if teak decks are screwed in. Also not the most stable boats as they sometimes had shallow draft and smaller rudders. Finally would check the tanks. If steel fuel leaks were not uncommon. But good value. This one looks like it has been well cared for and money spent which is a good sign. Let us k ow what you think after your visit.

I would guess it's a typo, but would be interested if you learn otherwise. There is a Ta Shing Yacht Builders who are an exclusive builder of a couple of Nordhavn models, including mine. Prior to building for Nordhavn, they built Tasman sailing yachts, and perhaps others. They also built the Mason line of sailing yachts for PAE (Nordhavn) before they switched to trawlers. The story goes that Ta Shing passed on building the Nordhavn 46 (first power boat) because they were "a sail boat builder". So based on that, I doubt they built any trawlers in '86.

Agree with TT. Ta Shing built many well known sailboat brands from the mid seventies through the late 80s. They were always a well respected builder.

I have seen boats like this. Their build is based on the many many different plans at the yard. So your boat may have a Marine Trader galley and the salon from a GB, or doors from Dayna Yachts etc. I see a lot of California build in my yacht.

Well we went and looked it over today. The broker was kind enough, to just let me and the wife go through the boat, without him hovering over us. I appreciated that, he just went back to the office and did what brokers do. Which I suspect is drink more coffee. He did mention, that he would give us a copy of the recent (Dec 2021) survey, when we where done snooping, my words not his. So after 1.5 hours of uninterupted, snooping these are the thoughts we walked away with. First impression, no sour mildewy smell, just a boat that has been closed up and needed airing out. Interior and exterior were in very nice condition, for a 36 year old trawler. Just wear and tear in areas I would expect. Engine room, clean and tidy, no diesel smell. Just typical engine room aroma. Pulled a floor cover in the engine room, found a small amount of water, less than a inch. Located a bilge pump, in the same area and gave the float a lift, nothing. I eventually found 4 bilge pumps, two did not work when lifting the float, none trigger an alarm. Don't know if that's normal, but seemed odd to me. Maybe I'm just the odd one. Anyway, met back up with the broker, he had a copy of the latest survey and disclosure, which he gave to us. On the drive home, the wife is reading some of the findings in the survey. I'm not going to post every bullet point in the survey, I wish to sleep sometime tonight. But my first impression after reading the survey, was this boat has electrical gremlins. Plus it has spawned new questions, I'll post in a different thread. My gut is telling me to keep looking and that what we are going to do.
TT, I looked for a builders or boat yard plaque. Did not find one, so your typo theory is still sound. Thanks for everyones input, the schooling continues.

Interesting. Do share more on electrical gremlins. A boat of that age should not have a very complex system so other than getting power to the pumps shouldn't be too problematic. Those older alarm panels probably need to be replaced so that wouldn't scare me too much. If they were not working and you only found a small amount of water and no smell this must be a pretty dry boat.Good you have a survey to start with.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom