Ta Chiao Trawler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PennBruce

Vessel Name
Last Hurrah
Vessel Make
Ta Chiao/CT35 Sun Deck
Hi,

I am still puzzled as to why I acquired a trawler whose manufacturer's name I can't pronounce.

Apparently, Ta Chiao mostly manufactured sailing vessels. i have't found much on their trawlers.

What I have is a CT35 Sun Deck.

1986 Ta Chiao Cropped.jpg

It's sound but needs a lot updating. It is much more complicated then the sailboats I have owned. There's lots for me to learn.

My ambition is to do the Great Loop.

Bruce

Last edited:
Welcome. You will find there is plenty of good advice on this forum. Just ask the right questions, include photos if possible, and I suggest you scroll through the various sections via the home screen, so you put your specific question in the section most aligned to the issue, then you get best exposure. :flowers:

Welcome Aboard! Your boat looks very much like my Albin,which is also a T.T. (Taiwan Trawler).

I can't help you with the pronunciation but "C.T." will probably suffice or you can always describe it as a T.T.

What year is it? Im betting it is powered by a Ford Lehman, great engine.

pete

Hi,

I am still puzzled as to why I acquired a trawler whose manufacturer's name I can't pronounce (...)

Welcome aboard.

Perhaps just out of curiosity you should be interested to know the meaning in Chinese language of "Ta Chiao".

First, since an ideogram is a graphic symbol representing more an idea in a specific context than a word, it’s never easy to “translate” Chinese ideograms to alphabetical text, therefore the literal translation in reality may mislead the reader.

Second, the official romanization of Mandarin-Chinese characters (called the "Hanya Pinyin” method) which describes the sounds of Chinese characters using the Latin alphabet - and supposed to help reading and learning Mandarin language - is not always accurate.

So, in the official romanization, your boat’s brand is written "Dà Xião" or "Dàxião" which must be pronounced “Ta Chiao“. “Ta” with the "a" of “after” / “Chiao” with the "ch" of “chicken”, the "i" of "chicken", the "a" of “after”, the "o" of "forum".

"Dà Xião" is a Chinese-mandarin expression that mostly highlights the specific properties of a thing.

In the context of a boat or house, the expression "Dà Xião" refers to its physical and value properties. In short, it means both “the area is large (or huge)” and “the value for money is big”. More clearly in American-English : “very roomy and at a fair price (or at a good deal)”.

Attached :
Brand of your boat in simplified Mandarin-Chinese characters (Mandarin is the standard Chinese) and in Hanya Pinyin.

Attachments

• C30F3DB7-0C39-4B65-99A0-0EF1E34A6483.jpeg
    C30F3DB7-0C39-4B65-99A0-0EF1E34A6483.jpeg
    16.4 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
Welcome aboard.

Perhaps just out of curiosity you should be interested to know the meaning in Chinese language of "Ta Chiao".

First, since an ideogram is a graphic symbol representing more an idea in a specific context than a word, it’s never easy to “translate” Chinese ideograms to alphabetical text, therefore the literal translation in reality may mislead the reader.

Second, the official romanization of Mandarin-Chinese characters (called the "Hanya Pinyin” method) which describes the sounds of Chinese characters using the Latin alphabet - and supposed to help reading and learning Mandarin language - is not always accurate.

So, in the official romanization, your boat’s brand is written "Dà Xião" or "Dàxião" which must be pronounced “Ta Chiao“. “Ta” with the "a" of “after” / “Chiao” with the "ch" of “chicken”, the "i" of "chicken", the "a" of “after”, the "o" of "forum".

"Dà Xião" is a Chinese-mandarin expression that mostly highlights the specific properties of a thing.

In the context of a boat or house, the expression "Dà Xião" refers to its physical and value properties. In short, it means both “the area is large (or huge)” and “the value for money is big”. More clearly in American-English : “very roomy and at a fair price (or at a good deal)”.

Attached :
Brand of your boat in simplified Mandarin-Chinese characters (Mandarin is the standard Chinese) and in Hanya Pinyin.

The things you learn on this site! Now, THAT's interesting!

Welcome aboard.

Attached :

Great explanation! Do you know the meaning of Cheoy Lee? (Probably just family names, but I had to ask... :)

Welcome aboard, Bruce!

Great explanation! Do you know the meaning of Cheoy Lee? (Probably just family names, but I had to ask... :)

Thank you.

"Cheoy", said "Choy" as well (don’t forget that the original is an ideogram then the translation is only phonetic) is Cantonese.

"Lee" is both Cantonese and Mandarin, indeed the name of many families in Hong Kong and Canton.

In Cantonese, "Cheoy Lee" means "good fortune".

PS : Hong Kong is speaking Cantonese.

Last edited:
Thank you.

"Cheoy", said "Choy" as well (don’t forget that the original is an ideogram then the translation is only phonetic) is Cantonese.

"Lee" is both Cantonese and Mandarin, indeed the name of many families in Hong Kong and Canton.

In Cantonese, "Cheoy Lee" means "good fortune".

PS : Hong Kong is speaking Cantonese.

I love it! (And agree with it, too...) Thank you!!!!

Yes, I agree, but I'm hoping for some pictures of LUTIN cruising the Riviera.

Here they are, + a special cuvee of "Rosé de Provence" wine :).

My apologies to Bruce for hijacking his welcome thread :hide:

Attachments

• 2423AF77-B25E-4530-B6FA-D3502332B91A.jpg
    2423AF77-B25E-4530-B6FA-D3502332B91A.jpg
    158 KB · Views: 42
  • DE0F22D6-C6A6-46B4-8FBD-028E82D58A4F.jpg
    DE0F22D6-C6A6-46B4-8FBD-028E82D58A4F.jpg
    168.2 KB · Views: 39
  • D9282577-BA75-43FD-906E-6A11716276A0.jpg
    D9282577-BA75-43FD-906E-6A11716276A0.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 37
  • 8D59B3AF-DC1F-4B6F-9008-2850737A58BD.jpg
    8D59B3AF-DC1F-4B6F-9008-2850737A58BD.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
I love it! (And agree with it, too...) Thank you!!!!

You are welcome. Of course it depends about the context as always in a language. “Fortune” may mean “Money” or “Luck” or both. Anyway it’s a nice symbol for your vessel :).

Last edited:
"Very roomy and at a fair price." --- Nice.

I also own an Albin and yes the similarities abound.

These trawlers are good. Although, much updating is needed. That is more of a factor of age and things going out of usefulness than what came out of the factory ("Very roomy and at a fair price." ). ... I really do need to retire though, so I can work on the boat a lot more.

". I really do need to retire though, so I can work on the boat a lot more."

Before you retire, a goal might be to learn how to simplify systems to require less maint.

As you age its more fun to enjoy the boat than to be constantly repairing stuff.

Welcome aboard.

Attached :

Yeah, what she said!

Maybe what you smoked was stronger than you thought.

I don't have to think about pronouncing my boat name. It's called a Formosa 41 Sea Tiger. (sailboat) but I think this was the U.S. yacht brokers just making that up when they were selling them. My builder plate in the cabin just calls it a Formosa Yacht works model S. T.
They were supposedly designed by William Garden, but I think at one time he even denied it. It's not a trawler but I have motored it quite a bit and it's an efficient boat to motor. At about 6 or 7 knots The Perkins diesel only uses a little over 1/2 gal an hour. It's a bear to dock single handed. I love that one scene in Captain Ron where he docks that Formosa 51.

I have a 1986 version of the same boat. Does yours have the tiny little bathtub in the aft head? My research indicates the company was named after the founder, T.A. Chiao (pronounced like "meow.") What diesel engine do you have?

I think if you can smoke a strong enough cigarette you will be able to pronounce your boat manufacture properly.

Largest and best 35 Trawler in the world

I had a 1985 35 for years. There where only 12 of them built and mine had twin Super 90 Ford Tractor engines with a 5.0 Westy generator. Over the years I did many upgrades and major maintenance. The toughest being replacing both iron fuel tanks. From my research 3 of these boats where on the east coast, when I sold mine it ended up in South Carolina.

12 1985s built, or 12 total 35s built? Mine is a four owner boat, all in NC. Can you elaborate on your fuel tank replacement. Pretty sure I will have to do that on mine in the future. My boat has a single 165hp Volvo tamd 40B

No bath tub in the aft head. I would like to see a picture of your tiny tub.

My engine is a Lehman 2715E.

Thanks for the suggested pronunciation.

Bruce

I have a 1986 version of the same boat. Does yours have the tiny little bathtub in the aft head? My research indicates the company was named after the founder, T.A. Chiao (pronounced like "meow.") What diesel engine do you have?

I would think that replacing the fuel tanks with dual engines would require pulling the engines. It looks like with a single you might be able to remove the tanks with the engine in place. I hope to never find this out.

It would be interesting to hear about your experience with the fuel tanks replacement. Also, is there a general area where the tanks tend to fail?

Bruce

Over the years I did many upgrades and major maintenance. The toughest being replacing both iron fuel tanks. From my research 3 of these boats where on the east coast, when I sold mine it ended up in South Carolina.

Hi Guys. I just joined the club and bought a Ta Chiao ct35 sundeck trawler. It sounds like a small club, but hoping we can share some knowledge and experiences. Mine's a 1986 -twin with SP90s. Anyone got any good mods or improvements they'd like to share? Common problems (other than the usual Taiwanese boat issues)?

Hi Guys. I just joined the club and bought a Ta Chiao ct35 sundeck trawler. It sounds like a small club, but hoping we can share some knowledge and experiences. Mine's a 1986 -twin with SP90s. Anyone got any good mods or improvements they'd like to share? Common problems (other than the usual Taiwanese boat issues)?

Welcome aboard.

Hi,

Welcome, what year is your trawler?

Fergus Ontario?

Bruce

Hi Guys. I just joined the club and bought a Ta Chiao ct35 sundeck trawler.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom