Ta Chiao Trawler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
CT 41 and CT 51

One of my favourite boats is the CT 41 and CT51 also known as the Yankee Clipper 41 or the Formosa 41 and 51. All are designed by Bill Garden out of Victoria B.C. Bill Garden has to be up there with Art Defever and Ken Smith as one of the grandfathers of recreational yacht design. But this is just my opinion.

Isn't it Chiao Ta as in "CT" ?

Last edited:
I love that one scene in Captain Ron where he docks that Formosa 51.

I used that clip in my Captain's Course when talking about propellers. That was either a left-handed prop or Special Effects. The prop on my sailboat was right-handed, I could do that maneuver but only to port. A couple times I had people running away just like in the movie.

Does your CT35 have a radar arch?

Mine does and I'm struggling with how to raise and lower it. My current thought is to rig a short temporary mast in the fly bridge table pedestal and use that for leverage.

The first time I dropped the arch it demolished my Costco three step stool that I was planning on using to support the arch. Fortunately, it slowed the drop enough to avoid damaging the boat.

Bruce

Hi Bruce. She was built in 1986. Yes, Fergus Ontario. Berthed in MIdland.

The name of a yahoo forum says it all

I'd like to hear what "usual Taiwanese boat issues" are.

There was a group on yahoo, I haven't visited it for years, named the "Leaky Teaky Yacht Group", or words to that effect. You get the idea. A teak deck with a thousand or so screw holes in it is a leaking deck waiting to happen.

Yahoo 1 might want to chime in with his opinion if I get it wrong

Is Bill Garden also the designer for the CT35?

Chiao Ta makes sense in the model designation. However, all the boat's documentation states Ta Chiao.

Bruce

I believe I might get it wrong, but chinese give the last name first when speaking the full name. Therefore when the designation is of the name is anglicized Ta Chiao, might be changed to Chiao Ta and the english designation CT ends up appearing.

I believe that all the Ta Chiao's built with teak decks were screwless.

In a former life I sailed a Vineyard Vixen 34 with teak decks. A pain to maintain but no leaks.

Bruce

A teak deck with a thousand or so screw holes in it is a leaking deck waiting to happen.

I believe that all the Ta Chiao's built with teak decks were screwless.

In a former life I sailed a Vineyard Vixen 34 with teak decks. A pain to maintain but no leaks.

Bruce

my brother has one of the ta chiao ct 30-something foot sailboats with teak decks and it's got screws. he's re-sealing it now. i think it's an 80's vintage.
my bluewater 40 trawler was built in the ta chiao brothers yard in 1972, no teak decks, thankfully. still plenty of opportunity for water intrusion though. that's the big killer of these old boats. leaky windows, deck hardware, the usual. this boat is pretty new to me, and i've identified a few areas that need attention. if yours has been boathouse kept it will be much better off.
these boats will last almost indefinitely if they're maintained.
watch the tops of your tanks for rust. a lot of them have limited access on top for inspection and rust can go unchecked. not saying you have leaks in your decks, but it's a problem area. if your tanks have a small drop sump like mine do, be sure to drain out a little fuel now and then to check for water that's collected inside the tanks.

Plus 1 on the leaky windows. I've had to re-bed most of mine. Fortunately, the frames are metal.

Thanks for the info on the fuel tanks.

Bruce

.. leaky windows,....

Our family has some history with CT sailboats and trawlers, including two extended visits to oversee final construction of a CT 65 ketch, and our own CT 35 trawler. Boats are named after yard owner Mr. C T Chen....who hosted us in his home on many occasions. His card reads:
"C. T." Chen
Ta Chiao Bros Yacht Building Co., Ltd.
Tachou Ship Building Co., Ltd.

I'll to post a pic and relate something of our story

Interesting,

Thank you,

Bruce

Our family has some history with CT sailboats and trawlers, including two extended visits to oversee final construction of a CT 65 ketch, and our own CT 35 trawler. Boats are named after yard owner Mr. C T Chen....who hosted us in his home on many occasions. His card reads:
"C. T." Chen
Ta Chiao Bros Yacht Building Co., Ltd.
Tachou Ship Building Co., Ltd.

I'll to post a pic and relate something of our story

Hi Bruce,

Not sure why i dont get notified of these posts.

Regardless, I dont have an arch. it was missing before the previous owner took possession and even the mounting points have been covered. I do however have a hard bimini with an 800W solar setup, so it would be difficult to bring down. Not sure where you are, but we made it from Delaware to Midland without needing to bring it down.

Hope this helps,

Neil

Does your CT35 have a radar arch?

Mine does and I'm struggling with how to raise and lower it. My current thought is to rig a short temporary mast in the fly bridge table pedestal and use that for leverage.

The first time I dropped the arch it demolished my Costco three step stool that I was planning on using to support the arch. Fortunately, it slowed the drop enough to avoid damaging the boat.

Bruce
Just lamenting...

I wish i had this boat from new. some of the previous owners let some leaks damage some of the woodwork. My previous boat was a steel 50ft diesel duck which we sailed around the south china sea and indian ocean. For the rivers and lakes, i much prefer my little ct35.

Keel on Ta Chiao Bluewater

HI Guys I was wondering if you guys knew by chance if the keel on a Ta Chiao Trawler has any lead/ or ballast in it?

Thank you in advance

Hi jimmy. Sorry i don't know. I know that's not much use to you, but wanted to let you know at least someone read your post... Pls let me know if you find out.

HI Guys I was wondering if you guys knew by chance if the keel on a Ta Chiao Trawler has any lead/ or ballast in it?

Thank you in advance

Welcome aboard. I don’t have any idea what, if any, ballast is in the keel of that boat.

Hi,

It could have ballast in it. It definitely is not a lead bolt-on keel as there are no nuts showing in the bilge. Whatever is in it was encapsulated when the boat was built.

Perhaps Crux will chime in on this subject.

The Bluewater model is a fine looking vessel.

Bruce

nlaubach,

I have the same problem. After a year of ownership I am still chasing leaks. At least the major leaks are cured.

I am going to have to improve the weather sealing on the siding doors. Ay suggestions would be appreicated.

Bruce

...previous owners let some leaks damage some of the woodwork.

I have a Monk 38 built in 1978 by Ta Chiao also. It is a Monk 36 stretch version and yes it does have the tub in the head. She is ruggedly built.

Interestingly I flew over to the Bahamas to deliver a Nordhaven 63 back to Palm beach. Her registration document listed Ta Chaio as the builder.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom