Old 08-05-2022, 08:14 AM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Up and down the US east coast
Vessel Name: Calypso
Vessel Model: Heritage East 36 Sundeck
Coated SS Cable Source

Anybody have a source for a short (30") section of coated SS cable with end loops? I'm looking for something similar to lifeline cable but with finished loop ends and weight rated. It's to replace an old ratty looking piece of line that attaches our Dinghy Caddy tackle to the top of our sundeck. I'd prefer swaged ends, but quality crimped loops would work as well. Actual working load is probably only a hundred pounds at most (10 AL RIB with OB on a pivot) but of course I'd want much higher ratings for a good safety margin. I've currently got an uncoated piece with crimped ends in place, but I don't know the rating on it and don't want to risk having the dinghy fall...

Have been doing some looking online but so far all I've found has been bulk cable/wire and "security" cables with no known weight/lifting specs.

Thanks
Old 08-05-2022, 09:37 AM   #2

City: Ft. Myers, FL
Vessel Name: Hannah Jane
Vessel Model: 2000 Grand Banks 42 Classic
West Marine nearby? Most locations have a section of wire, crimps and a crimping too. You buy the wire you need and crimps, then use the crimping tool. You usually have to do the crimps yourself.
FBoykin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 09:41 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Not sure I would want a coating on it due to crevice corrosion. S/S will corrode in an oxygen deprived environment. So a coating may actually cause problems in the long run. Also it would hide the corrosion so you couldn’t see it before it broke. I would just get plain S/S cable.
Comodave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 09:50 AM   #4
Guru

City: Gig Harbor, WA
Vessel Name: MoonShadow
Vessel Model: Wendon Skylounge 72'
In my area (PNW) workshops that make-up hydraulic hoses to customer's spec for trucks etc. also will fabricate SS wire with loops etc.
~A
AlanT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 10:51 AM   #5
Guru

City: Dewatto
Vessel Name: CHiTON
Vessel Model: Tung Hwa Clipper 30
Coating looks good and fails faster. Your choice. West Marine has a simple hand swaging tool requiring the strength of a gorilla. Before I bought a hydraulic swaging tool I looked at West Marine and told them that I didn't want to spend that much for the tool. The reply was "We accept returns." In talking with the employee, it seems that many people buy the tool, do their project, and then return it.

When looking for swage fittings like your need (under 300# non-overhead), shop for stainless fittings for deck railings. About 1/3 the cost of "marine" fittings.
Old 08-05-2022, 10:58 AM   #6
Guru

City: Everett
Vessel Name: LIBERTY
Vessel Model: TOLLY 48
Hi DWJenson,

You might also consider a length of 5/16" synthetic braided line (Amsteel, for instance). Very easy to DIY loops at each end, either with or without thimbles. Breaking strength for 5/16" is typically >12,000 lbs., with properly done spliced loops. Lots of references on the WWW for DIY splicing, lots of availability on-line as well.

And, as others have noted, any competent marine supply or sailboat rigging company should be able to fashion this simple cable, should you not want to DIY.

Regards,

Pete
jungpeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 12:05 PM   #7
Guru

City: Guelph
Vessel Name: Escapade
Vessel Model: 50` US Navy Utility trawler conversion
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungpeter View Post

You might also consider a length of 5/16" synthetic braided line (Amsteel, for instance).
Agree. Dyneema is a good replacement for cable.

Sent from my moto g play (2021) using Trawler Forum mobile app
Jeff F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 02:04 PM   #8
Veteran Member

City: Up and down the US east coast
Vessel Name: Calypso
Vessel Model: Heritage East 36 Sundeck
Thanks for the replies all - I was looking for coated cable as it rests against the gelcoat on the edge of our sundeck overhead, but Dyneema sounds even better.

It looks like the local West Marine does not stock it so I'll check around here and see if somebody else has it and can/will splice eyes into the ends for me or if I need to order online and go from there.
Old 08-05-2022, 03:20 PM   #9
Guru

City: New England/Michigan
Vessel Name: N/A
Vessel Model: N/A
Not sure why vinyl coated 7x19 SS wire can’t be found with swaged terminals. Find a boatyard that has sailboat clients and they should have your wire and a swaging press. Vinyl coated lifelines are ubiquitous so you should have no problem. Dyneema is truly amazing stuff but costly especially if you want sliced eyes or compression type SS terminals. Stay with SS Vinyl wire and don’t worry about corrosion failure. It will happen in saltwater environments but many years down the road. The failure will be at the swage terminals due to stress fractures from a saltwater (chloride) and tension. Everybody runs with vinyl coated 7x19 SS wire.

You can slow down or prevent swage problems by taking a propane torch,
And heat the wire and swage enough to melt wax. Dab the wire with wax and it will flow into the strands and seal the swage.

Good luck
Rick
garbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 06:37 PM   #10
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
I’d contact Sailing Services in Miami. I’m sure they can make what you need from either cable or rope.
Sailing Services Catalog
Old 08-06-2022, 04:16 AM   #11
Guru

City: Windmill Harbour, Hilton Head Island, SC
Vessel Name: River Girl
Vessel Model: 2004 DeFever 49 RPH
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWJensen View Post
Thanks for the replies all - I was looking for coated cable as it rests against the gelcoat on the edge of our sundeck overhead, but Dyneema sounds even better.

It looks like the local West Marine does not stock it so I'll check around here and see if somebody else has it and can/will splice eyes into the ends for me or if I need to order online and go from there.
You can buy Dyneema/Amsteel on line inexpensively. It has become very popular with the off-road crowd, so you don't have to pay marine prices. Here is one example of how-to instructions. I needed to replace one of my coated SS cables on my dinghy lift bridle and made my own in an hour using the "2 end" instructions. Once you figure out the "flip", it's very easy to do with simple tools. Takes a few to get exact lengths -Dyneema doesn't stretch significantly in this application but the Brummel splices do shorten the finished length a bit so depending on the eye length, you select, you may have to use trial & error to get it exact.
https://atlanticbraids.com/wp-conten...eema-1-End.pdf
Old 08-07-2022, 05:49 AM   #12
Guru

City: Windmill Harbour, Hilton Head Island, SC
Vessel Name: River Girl
Vessel Model: 2004 DeFever 49 RPH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatswing View Post
You can buy Dyneema/Amsteel on line inexpensively. It has become very popular with the off-road crowd, so you don't have to pay marine prices. Here is one example of how-to instructions. I needed to replace one of my coated SS cables on my dinghy lift bridle and made my own in an hour using the "2 end" instructions. Once you figure out the "flip", it's very easy to do with simple tools. Takes a few to get exact lengths -Dyneema doesn't stretch significantly in this application but the Brummel splices do shorten the finished length a bit so depending on the eye length, you select, you may have to use trial & error to get it exact.
https://atlanticbraids.com/wp-conten...eema-1-End.pdf
sorry! meant "1 end method" as in the link. The 2 end is simpler but you must use the 1 end method when putting eye splices at both ends of the rope
Old 08-07-2022, 01:10 PM   #13
Guru

City: New England/Michigan
Vessel Name: N/A
Vessel Model: N/A
Flatswing: I’ve never worked with Dyneema but know of its incredible strength, UV resistance and decent abrasion resistance. In the blow boat racing world and towing it’s carved out the high end market. Lots of tugs using plaited Dyneema and Spectra these days but it’s costly per foot for hawsers but much easier to handle and stow. From what I can tell it’s much easier to splice than braided core line like Sampson Braid. It’s the future for anything where ultimate low stretch light weight tensile strength is needed and as you note it’s spilling over into the yacht world. Thanks for bringing this up. It may not, however, fit the OP’s needs and perhaps it’s looks ?

Rick
garbler is offline   Reply With Quote