Old 04-25-2018, 04:46 PM   #21
Guru

City: Queensland
Vessel Model: Milkraft 60 converted timber prawn trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by AusCan View Post
That also applies to some large power boats as well.
$100,000 worth of engine(s) with horrific loads and crucial maintenance.

My modest sail setup has cost me $2800 to replace and upgrade all the standing and running rigging (after 30 years). This included labour.
I may replace the original sails soon for another 4-5k.
Total sail maintenance would average out to a bit over $200 a year over 35 years. Fairly good value IMO.

And a sabot dinghy rig probably costs $500 to replace but that's not exactly a liveabard performance boat either, so not a fair comparison.

We should at least compare like for like.
For most a comfortable full time live aboard trawler will be at least 50 ft and the same liveability in a sailing boat will be 60 ft or more, especially if performance orientated.
Rig on a performance yacht (one that can maintain 6 knots in 12 of wind and do teens in 20) will cost considerably more than a replacement engine in ours not that it should ever need one in our lifetime.
Just a new set of working sails on the above sailing vessel will probably cost more than a replacement engine.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 05:20 PM   #22
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
And a sabot dinghy rig probably costs $500 to replace but that's not exactly a liveabard performance boat either, so not a fair comparison.

We should at least compare like for like.
For most a comfortable full time live aboard trawler will be at least 50 ft and the same liveability in a sailing boat will be 60 ft or more, especially if performance orientated.
Rig on a performance yacht (one that can maintain 6 knots in 12 of wind and do teens in 20) will cost considerably more than a replacement engine in ours not that it should ever need one in our lifetime.
Just a new set of working sails on the above sailing vessel will probably cost more than a replacement engine.
The costs of maintaining the standing rigging on a typical cruising sailboat are so much less than what you seem to imagine. Granted, you won't be racing it and your sails may not look pretty, but on the whole, sailboats are just HUGELY less expensive than a trawler.

I get the argument that you should be comparing boats with similar amenities. However, sailboats will simply not have the same amenities as a power boat in most cases. Sure if you want two heads, stand up showers (oh wait, my last sailboat had that...) well genset, ice machine, TV, recliners in the salon etc... then you have to get up into the huge sailboats, but for the 35-50' sailboats that most folks are likely to have, the maintenance is actually pretty minimal.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 05:26 PM   #23
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
And again, those who hated the change and quickly dumped the power boat are not going to be found here.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 05:30 PM   #24
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Wifey B: Our sailing desires are met by day chartering 3 to 4 times a year in great sailing areas with professional sailors doing all the work. San Francisco, Cancun, Annapolis, the Eastern Caribbean and occasionally even close to home. In fact, thinking perhaps New England this summer or the Chesapeake on our way back. The pleasure with none of the effort.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 05:40 PM   #25
Dauntless Award

City: Wrangell, Alaska
Vessel Name: Dauntless
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 - 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post

I get the argument that you should be comparing boats with similar amenities. However, sailboats will simply not have the same amenities as a power boat in most cases. Sure if you want two heads, stand up showers (oh wait, my last sailboat had that...) well genset, ice machine, TV, recliners in the salon etc... then you have to get up into the huge sailboats, but for the 35-50' sailboats that most folks are likely to have, the maintenance is actually pretty minimal.
Sooo, you're saying if you want to live like your camping, it's cheaper.
I see that.

When I compared rough costs of my Dutch friend's 42' Malo to the KK42, overall costs were not significantly different.
Most cruising costs are the same for both boats. Even our cruising speeds are similar, through running downwind, they are significantly faster by 150%.

My ocean crossing costs gor fuel were $4,000 and $2500 over the last 4 years.

So, if you have a boat that consumes 3 to 5 gal per hour, your ocean crossing cost is considerable.

Conversely, if you sail and never motor, your costs would be somewhat less. But then, no one would know, since you haven't arrived yet.

a Kadey Krogen 42 currently: https://share.garmin.com/dauntless
Blog:
https://dauntlessatsea.com
Wxx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 05:49 PM   #26
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
And again, those who hated the change and quickly dumped the power boat are not going to be found here.
Yeah, good point.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 06:01 PM   #27
Guru

City: Queensland
Vessel Model: Milkraft 60 converted timber prawn trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
The costs of maintaining the standing rigging on a typical cruising sailboat are so much less than what you seem to imagine.
I know that smaller tired sailboats are cheap but i did make it pretty clear that a typical cruising sailboat was of little interest to me.
Comparable comfort level and comparable performance.
King size beds, endless cold beer and a 7 knot average speed.

Quote:
Granted, you won't be racing it and your sails may not look pretty, but on the whole, sailboats are just HUGELY less expensive than a trawler.
And because its all flogged out and small it won't be comfortable and it won't sail very well if at all in light air.
Time to start the motor.........if it works.

Quote:
I get the argument that you should be comparing boats with similar amenities. However, sailboats will simply not have the same amenities as a power boat in most cases. Sure if you want two heads, stand up showers (oh wait, my last sailboat had that...) well genset, ice machine, TV, recliners in the salon etc... then you have to get up into the huge sailboats,
which is the point I made.

Quote:
but for the 35-50' sailboats that most folks are likely to have, the maintenance is actually pretty minimal.
And the comfort level and sailing performance is also pretty minimal which is why many tend to motor a lot and live on deck a lot which in our climate means liking scalpels and scars.

Don't get me wrong, I'd prefer sail over power but I have owned slow boats and was ok with it until I knew better.
I have also owned, raced and cruised fast boats and know what they cost to keep together.
To get that AND comfort is cost prohibitive plus I reckon I'd always be chasing crew to help sail it.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 06:23 AM   #28
FF
Guru

Power boats have more volume per foot of LOA , and seem to quickly get loaded with the full collection of dirt house items.

So the big difference seems to be what maint consists of.

Do you prefer to grease a halyard winch , or repair the washing machine ?
FF is offline   Reply With Quote