Old 09-23-2022, 10:48 PM   #1

City: Seabrook
Vessel Name: Evangelina
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 42 Classic
Swim Platform

I am in the process of buying a 42 ft Grand Banks trawler. She is in excellent condition minus a swim platform that apparently got torn off the stern in some type of collision. Has anyone gone through the process of having a new swim platform purchased and installed? What is the ballpark cost of such a purchase?
We plan to do some scuba diving off the boat and a swim platform is crucial to that endeavor, and even hope that an extended platform can be installed to facilitate that hobby.
xxlcajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 10:52 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Congrats, maybe, on your potential new boat. Hope it works out for you. Yes there are companies that make swim platforms. We just installed an extended swim platform from swimplatforms.com. I donít know if they make just swim platform ps or only extended swim platforms. You might ask them. We are very pleased with ours, no affiliation. It cost a bit less than $5K with shipping from Phoenix to Michigan.
Comodave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2022, 09:30 AM   #3

Thank you sir for the referral and ballpark $$…The original platforms are teak on the GB’s but I would be interested in an extended platform in either Fiberglas or some other composite material. I plan on doing some scuba off the platform and want one with maybe an integrated fold out/ hide away swim ladder. Don’t want too extended, then I’m escalating to a larger slip and more $$
Comodave, how much real estate did you add to the back end?
Old 09-24-2022, 10:27 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

It added about 2í. The platform is now 63Ē fore and aft.
Old 09-24-2022, 11:07 AM   #5

City: Seattle
Vessel Model: 55 Offshore
I added a larger 28Ē platform to my GB42 from Butler Marine (butlermarine.com). Great product, great service. I think it was around $2k plus freight. But that was 7 or 8 years ago.
Bradenvlp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2022, 12:34 PM   #6

Bradenvlp - what is stock size of a platform on a GB42?
Old 09-24-2022, 12:35 PM   #7

Holy bat boat Batman, that’s a tanning shelf for about half a dozen young maidens!!!
Old 09-24-2022, 03:28 PM   #8

City: Mahůn, Menorca
Vessel Name: Halcyon
Vessel Model: 1973 Grand Banks 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxlcajun View Post
I plan on doing some scuba off the platform and want one with maybe an integrated fold out/ hide away swim ladder.
I installed one of these under my teak swim platform. I am very pleased with it.

https://www.osculati.com/en/11627-m-...sliding-ladder
Attached Thumbnails
EN_49.558.14B_New2018.jpeg  
Old 09-24-2022, 03:51 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

The swim platform extension came with an under mount 4 step ladder. Here is a photo of the black dog on the extension.
Attached Thumbnails
239A50A3-8241-403E-A0F4-240984C32F39.jpg  
Old 09-24-2022, 06:12 PM   #10
TF Site Team

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
Quote:
I am in the process of buying a 42 ft Grand Banks trawler. She is in excellent condition minus a swim platform that apparently got torn off the stern in some type of collision. Has anyone gone through the process of having a new swim platform purchased and installed? What is the ballpark cost of such a purchase?
We plan to do some scuba diving off the boat and a swim platform is crucial to that endeavor, and even hope that an extended platform can be installed to facilitate that hobby.
GBs have a few design flaws (as do all boats). The swim grid is one. Much too short. Not nearly robust enough. You now have the GB with an opportunity to have the best swim grid, and one designed with your diving hobby in mind!
Don't be afraid to go big.

My own boat had that GB design flaw, though not a GB. The SG started life at 22" deep. That isn't nearly enough, though still lots deeper than on a GB 42. I added 13" to get a 35" depth. After over 15 years, I am still very happy with 35", though I don't know if it would be deep enough for a lot of dive gear. I had a flip up ladder, so to fit the deeper SG I had it lengthened 6" and relocated to the new midpoint, where it still rests against the transom when flipped up.
The attachment bolts removed from the original SG were all corroded down to a fraction of their original diameter, so I learned from that and put all of the attachment bolts above the WL. Below the WL the supports are pressing against the transom Only the bolts higher up are in tension,
Old 09-24-2022, 09:28 PM   #11

That would be perfect for scuba, usually there are 2-3 treads on a swim ladder, way too short for scuba use. Thanks for the link
Old 09-24-2022, 10:01 PM   #12

Thank you Keith,
35 inches would be more than enough real estate for the girls to lay out, boarding, etc. Now that I’m thinking large platform, I’m thinking how handy a backup camera would be so as not to crush the platform against the dock or pier/piling. Why not use the technology readily used in the giant RV market? Or just the First Mate back there with a walkie talkie?
Old 09-25-2022, 12:31 AM   #13
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Quote:
..Iím thinking how handy a backup camera would be so as not to crush the platform against the dock or pier/piling. Why not use the technology readily used in the giant RV market? Or just the First Mate back there with a walkie talkie?
Most times you should be able to see the edge of the swimstep by looking through the aft doors, or by standing outside the helm door while reversing in. Otherwise a camera could help. You may adapt to standing outside, facing rearwards, reaching to the gears to maneuver the boat, useful skill.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 02:42 PM   #14
Veteran Member

City: Cannes
Vessel Name: Octant
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 42 MY
Quote:
Originally Posted by koliver View Post
The attachment bolts removed from the original SG were all corroded down to a fraction of their original diameter, so I learned from that and put all of the attachment bolts above the WL. Below the WL the supports are pressing against the transom Only the bolts higher up are in tension,
Well, this is true if you consider flat water and weight on the platform. But in waves, when the aft of the boat comes splashing down, the force of the water is applied upwards from the bottom of the platform.
Guilhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 09:55 PM   #15
Veteran Member

City: United States
Vessel Name: First Forty
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 40
We added a 12’x28” teak swim platform last year.
I bought the platform from Butler marine
Brackets from Great Lakes
I went a little overboard on the brackets. They’re heavy duty.
Zimmerman modified the brackets and installed the platform.

Swim Platform costs
Butler-swim platform. $2552.00
Great Lakes- Brackets. $516.00
Herrington- Haul out. $669.00
Zimmerman- install. $1454.00

Swim platform Total. $5191.00
Reveille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 10:52 PM   #16

City: Santa Barbara Harbor
Vessel Name: Caballero II
Vessel Model: Grand Banks Classic 36
Quote:
I had a new teak platform made for my GB 36. An outfit in Florida had the template, made it up, and shipped it to me on the left coast in about 6 weeks. It's more robust than the original (thicker teak strakes) and fits on the same brackets. Try contacting Brad at Ventura Harbor Boatyard. He sourced it, and I never talked to them directly. If no luck, PM me and I'll do what I can to help. It was plug and play. I'm very happy with it.
Caballero II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 09:53 AM   #17
TF Site Team

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guilhem View Post
Well, this is true if you consider flat water and weight on the platform. But in waves, when the aft of the boat comes splashing down, the force of the water is applied upwards from the bottom of the platform.
Correct, but if your SG platform is an open grid of teak, as are all originals on the old GB that is the subject of this thread, that upward force is negligible, if it ever occurs.

Mine is 12" above the water, at rest, so when travelling at 8 knots it is getting wet with splash, but I have never seen any waves EVER try to lift it.

I often tie to a mooring buoy in front of my home, where there is a lot of traffic. That is where there are occasional waves from big boat wash, including commercial crab boats that always travel at full throttle, where their waves are bigger than those of the cargo ships coming by, and sometimes those waves come at the boat from the stern. Even then, I have never seen my SG getting wet from them. The best test of that, is the "welcome mat" that I have on the top surface of the SG to deter otters from setting up their kitchen table and toilet on my boat. It has seen the whole gamut of wave action and never gotten wet.
Old 10-03-2022, 01:00 PM   #18

City: Laguna Beach
Vessel Name: SCOUT
Vessel Model: 1980 CHB Trawler
Make your own

Wood shop experienced or find a woodworker. We epoxied up marine ply, clamped, cut and routed. Stained with a supposed to look like teak. Ground walnut for traction.
Fiberglass skills? Base layer matte fiberglass and then 6oz. Use UV surfboard epoxy resin like Resin Research.
You might find a surfboard glassing company to to a side job.
Attached Thumbnails
A6E325E4-398E-45A7-88E8-51B81650BAB7.jpg   43C86569-3FF2-4CF7-9024-CE6C5454FF67.jpg   F38377BF-F172-4A5A-BDDC-711903326852.jpg   74A24CDE-8937-4B6A-A9CB-777841D27B6F.jpg   DB0AB880-EE8F-4957-90C3-1FD04EB70CF1.jpg  

UncleTimmyBro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 03:09 PM   #19

City: Raleigh
Vessel Name: Escape
Vessel Model: 1986 Defever 49 RPH
Second on Butler Marine. Top notch service and quality.
divert00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 04:35 PM   #20

City: West Newbury.
Vessel Name: Morning Light
Vessel Model: Webbers Cove 42 Trawler
For diving, you will want a ladder with a central pole so you can use it with fins on. We have used Windline DL Sport / Diver Boarding Ladder - 4 Steps on both Fintry and Morning Light. It is removable and comes with brackets to store it on a bulkhead. On both boats we mounted the attachment on a heavy stainless hinge, so we can just swing it up out of the water when underway. We take it off only for long passages. Highly recommended. We got ours from Defender, but many others also sell it.

Jim
Circumnavigator is offline   Reply With Quote