Surveyors and my lack of faith in them.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It was reinforced today.

Needed to get a hull survey done for insurance purposes on the free to me 1990 Chris Craft 501 I picked up a few weeks ago.

Call a local surveyor, member of the usually accreditation agencies. Very nice person with years of experiance and able to come on very short notice.

Does a thorough job of looking the boat over. I tell them that all the running gear has been gone over and renewed during this haul out. Props, shafts, muff couplers, alignment, etc., etc. Plus of course new bottom paint and all the in use thru hulls have been replaced along with added backing plates, larger NAIAD fins installed, new PSS dripless packing boxes, new UW lights installed, blah, blah, blah.

First red flag, "Wow, you've even got new props!"

No, those are the ones that came with the boat.

"New props came with the boat?"

No.

"But they are shiny and have the those tags stuck on them!?"

Ah no, that is the standard tag that the prop shops put on props after reconditioning. And of course they are shiny. They just came from the prop shop. :facepalm: :socool:

Next flag, get the report, read it over and one of the notes reads, "Cutless Bearings" - "Some wear noted. Monitor for next haul out."

Hmm, shaft bearings are brand new with of course zero wear on them.

Seriously, if you get a survey, no matter how basic, read it carefully, take it with a grain of salt, assume they did not find everything, ask lots of questions and don't be afraid to point out the obvious. Because apparently the obvious isn't always obvious. Even to an "accredited" and "experienced" observer. :facepalm:

The scary part is that these surveys go on to some insurance person that in many cases knows little or nothing about boats and takes them as gospel because they come from an accredited expert.

Last edited:
That's funny! I note on the survey I got from a well known and respected local surveyor that there were several mistakes in the report. Things like dinghy size, type of anchor, amount of blades on the thruster prop, etc. Not the type of things that matter much but certainly there were missed things as well. Calling dirty oil clean, dirty Racor, clean, etc. One wonders.

There are superb, average, competent, incompetent and complete waste of space surveyors, lawyers, plumbers, mechanics, doctors and electricians etc. It takes some effort to find the good ones but they are out there.
The really good ones can almost never come on short notice.

OMG! Via email, now they are still claiming the bearings have wear on them!

They are surprised that I "did all that work and didn't renew the bearings"

They want me to "talk to the yard"

I've pointed out I personally bought the bearings and removed 2 of them and replaced all four. Had the other two removed by the company that reinstalled the shafts, props and did the alignment.

I have even now sent a picture of one of the new bearings being installed by me.

It will be interesting to see how far this goes. :D

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 72
Not to stir the pot, but....Im with boatpoker. I usually bite my tonque when it comes to this kind of stuff, but after a few beers....

Its always the same. How fast can you do it, how cheap can you do it, blah, blah. Oh wait I wanted a really good survey. 99% of calls are wanting quick and cheap. No one ever ask about experience, or sample surveys etc. or its " no everything is perfect, I found the deal of the century". Sure thats why its been on yachtworld for 2 years for 100k less than all the others!

Sorry to rant, but it does get old. Hell, people will hire a local surveyor because its cheaper than bringing in an expeirenced one. Really! A survey is such a small fraction of the total purchase price.

Captain Scott McGonigle, AMS #1150

Not to stir the pot, but....Im with boatpoker. I usually bite my tonque when it comes to this kind of stuff, but after a few beers....

Its always the same. How fast can you do it, how cheap can you do it, blah, blah. Oh wait I wanted a really good survey. 99% of calls are wanting quick and cheap. No one ever ask about experience, or sample surveys etc. or its " no everything is perfect, I found the deal of the century". Sure thats why its been on yachtworld for 2 years for 100k less than all the others!

Sorry to rant, but it does get old. Hell, people will hire a local surveyor because its cheaper than bringing in an expeirenced one. Really! A survey is such a small fraction of the total purchase price.

Captain Scott McGonigle, AMS #1150

Hey, no problem, rant away. And I don't disagree with what you have to say.

But I didn't ask for a cheap survey, nor did I ask for a fast survey.

And it appears the pictures have settled the issue of the "worn" bearings.

:D

Hey, no problem, rant away. And I don't disagree with what you have to say.

But I didn't ask for a cheap survey, nor did I ask for a fast survey.

And it appears the pictures have settled the issue of the "worn" bearings.

:D

Nor did I, and it was not cheap by any means, though shorter than I would have guessed, he only being aboard for about 4 hours. Last survey I had on a lesser boat took all day and cost half as much, years ago and different surveyor. I got the "once over lightly" survey this time.

Back
Top Bottom