Surveyors

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Renegade Aus

I’m in the early days of searching for trawler style passagemaker and am seeking advice / recommendations specifically from Australian members on surveyors for this type of vessel.

I’m leaning towards bringing a surveyor from the USA that I know has a good knowledge of the vessels I’m interested but would prefer to use a local surveyor if I can be confident of their work. I’ve had experiences over 40+ years with surveys on smaller sailboats both for purchasing and insurance and am aware of the quality variances.

The vessels I’m looking into are Selene, Nordhavn, KK. Your comments and recommendations would be appreciated

Greetings,
Welcome aboard, mate. Mr. RS. I think for the cost of flying a surveyor from the US you could probably have 3 or 4 surveys done by competent countrymen. Plus, an American might have legal problems due to employment rules.

I agree, just find someone local. I don't have any suggestions for Sydney are.

Think about who you will take out insurance with, then contact them for a list of surveyors that they know/accept. Then talk to local boatyards for some suggestions as well. And you will need a boatyard since any surveyor worth his salt will give you a list of stuff needing to be done! Then contact the surveyors whose names have come up more than once, ask them for names of recent clients. Contact those people for feedback. You will pretty quickly come up with a few local options that will be fine.

Surveyers

Gday RTF and Brian

I appreciate your comments. My initial thinking is because the trawler market is very small here in Australia compared to east and west coasts of USA and that the cost of the survey is a relatively small percentage of the overall purchase price it would give me a greater confidence using someone that has a good working knowledge of specific vessels.

It’s early days and I’ll certainly be inquiring around local yards.

Thanks for responding

Gday RTF and Brian

I appreciate your comments. My initial thinking is because the trawler market is very small here in Australia compared to east and west coasts of USA and that the cost of the survey is a relatively small percentage of the overall purchase price it would give me a greater confidence using someone that has a good working knowledge of specific vessels.

It’s early days and I’ll certainly be inquiring around local yards.

Thanks for responding
A bunch of your fellows living head down are members of this forum, I guess they can recommend you some serious surveyors down there.

L

I`m in Sydney, recently used a surveyor on the Gold Coast, and another in Melbourne who was the Melbourne man for Holmes Surveyors in Sydney. Both were ok, Holmes is a Sydney boating name you might know. I haven`t had to find one in Sydney but Holmes seem to work well, and I have another Sydney suggestion I can make. All depends where the boat is, for me it wasn`t where I am.
I see no reason to import a surveyor from overseas. It`s not that hard.

Lou tribal. Thanks for your response. I'm looking forward to receiving replies from them. As you can see, BruceK has already provided information.

D Duck44 Thanks for the information. I'll follow up in due course.

BruceK Thanks. I'm familiar with Holmes - They did from memory an insurance survey a few years back on Compass 29 I owned. Can you recommend the Gold Coast surveyor ?

I used Holmes to do the survey on my boat and they were very comprehensive in their assessment of mine and certainly satisfied my insurer for a policy. While that was 12 years ago, when I had reason to make contact with them again they still had the details of the survey they did for me. So a long term player in the market place which is a big thing in the Marine Industry for me. I have no affiliation with them just a satisfied customer.
John

...BruceK Thanks. I'm familiar with Holmes - They did from memory an insurance survey a few years back on Compass 29 I owned. Can you recommend the Gold Coast surveyor ?
The GC surveyor was Peter Kidd "Survey Class Marine" 0418729370. He suggested I engage a shipwright to further check an area of rot,it was extensive, I walked. Got him via another TF member who got him from his marine electrician. I can give you a mechanic too if necessary, he cost more than Peter Kidd.
Still working on getting the Melbourne boat home. Weather persistently uncooperative. The Holmes man in Melbourne, Josh Deacon, was helpful and cooperative. Switched survey date when we messed up flight bookings,went back to further investigate something and reported no charge. Holmes will check engines too, but not to the extent of a mechanic
How good a survey is requires fullness of time.

Last edited:
You are looking at the three top brands in boating. No need to get them surveyed, they are all good.

Just kidding, you are on the right track, it would probably be worth it to fly in a surveyor if you can't find one you can communicate with near the boat.

You are on the right track, go for it.

pete

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom