Surveyor Recommendations in the Beaufort NC Area

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wayfarer

Guru
Vessel Name
Sylphide
Vessel Make
Kingston Aluminum Yacht 44' Custom
Good Morning :)

After two and a half years of ownership, I've finally hauled Sylphide out for routine cleaning and inspection and bottom maintenance. She's at the Jarrett Bay Boatyard in Beaufort NC.

At first, I was feeling pretty good about how clean she looked. The boatyard guys kept asking how long she'd been in the water, and were amazed by how clean her bottom was. Not a single barnacle anywhere on her. Not one. Almost no growth of any kind, actually. Just the thinnest coat of slime. As soon as I dig up what paint the PO used on the bottom, I'll be buying more.
IMG_5558-scaled.jpg

IMG_5561-scaled.jpg

I did notice a few places along the waterline where the paint had started to flake off. I've got several spots on the topsides where this is happening, so I wasn't surprised to see it. I know paint doesn't always bond to alumin(i)um very well. I started flaking the spots away with my thumbnail, and found some issues.

I've got some corrosion happening. There's obviously an electrical issue somewhere, but since the affected areas have been covered by paint since I bought her, I don't know how long the issue has been active. I don't really have a good feel for how extensive the damage is, and I'd like to have a surveyor who knows metal boats, come down and take a look.
IMG_5574-scaled.jpg

IMG_5573-scaled.jpg

IMG_5566-scaled.jpg

I'd be grateful for anyone who has a recommendation for a surveyor that would fit the bill. Thanks most muchly, and I hope you have a stellar day.

Back
Top Bottom