Surveyor Recommendations: Bay Area

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ms. Moon

I'm new to the forum, so please forgive me if this is in the wrong folder. But my husband and I just made an offer on our first boat and we're very excited.

Next up: survey. The boat, a beautiful trawler, is in the Bay Area, where we're relocating after several years on the East Coast.

Though I grew up on boats, we have no connections to the boating community out here, so I'm hoping you can help. We need a really terrific, thorough, honest surveyor. This is our first boat and it's a huge purchase for us. We plan to liveaboard. It's crucial that we have someone we can trust and would really love a personal recommendation.

Have any of you Bay Area trawler owners worked with a surveyor you would highly recommend?

We would be so grateful for your help.

All best.

Ms. Moon,

Looks like you have found a boat to move forward with.
I stumbled across this one the other day, but could not find your previous post.

I know you are not fond of a wood boat, but if your primary need is a Live-aboard, this is a very nice looking and apparently well maintained boat that is quite local, (very little moving cost) and the asking price is good. Again, assuming the listing is mostly true.

HEALTH ISSUES, MUST SELL *** 1966 - 60' Stephens F/D Cruiser

I am assuming that the pictures are fairly recent.

As Mr. RT F states, the state of the engine room can tell a lot about the boat and the owner's up-keep - this one looked Excellent.

Best of luck with your search and the buying experience; it is not easy. The process can be quite frustrating, especially on larger vessels.
It is not like buying a car, and could take a good while to become comfortable with the process - patience in boat buying is a definite virtue.

Attachments

• 60 ft. Stephens.jpg
    60 ft. Stephens.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 80
  • 60 ft. Stephens 2.jpg
    60 ft. Stephens 2.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 74
  • 60 ft. Stephens 3.jpg
    60 ft. Stephens 3.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 72
I'm new to the forum, so please forgive me if this is in the wrong folder. But my husband and I just made an offer on our first boat and we're very excited.

Next up: survey. The boat, a beautiful trawler, is in the Bay Area, where we're relocating after several years on the East Coast.

Though I grew up on boats, we have no connections to the boating community out here, so I'm hoping you can help. We need a really terrific, thorough, honest surveyor. This is our first boat and it's a huge purchase for us. We plan to liveaboard. It's crucial that we have someone we can trust and would really love a personal recommendation.

Have any of you Bay Area trawler owners worked with a surveyor you would highly recommend?

We would be so grateful for your help.

All best.

In my opinion, the best boat surveyor in San Francisco is Kent Parker. His number is 707-252-9383.

If you plan to include an engine survey, I'd consider List Marine at 415-332-5478.

I'm not affiliated with Parker or List. Just a satisfied customer.

Last edited:
Has anyone worked with Francoise Ramsay, based out of Sausalito? She comes recommended by a friend, but he's a sailboat guy. She seems very legit and experienced, but just thought I'd see if anyone has worked with her on a trawler inspection. Thanks much.

I attempted to use Francoise Ramsay, but we had schedule conflicts.
I was impressed with a survey report that I reviewed from her; lots of pictures. After my disappointing experience with a very well respected surveyor here in the Bay Area, she would still be on my very short list of prospects in the future.

I love this forum! What a great group of people. You really know how to make a newbie feel welcome. Thank you all.

Thank you. We ARE a great group! Check out our Social Group here in the forums under Community....SF Bay and Delta Cruisers.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom